• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
paul19010

Flyers Haters

Rate this topic

I live in Philly, and I have never run across unsolicited comments in all my years as a red wings fans until now. Apparently this streak has pissed off alot of Flyers fans, and I have been told that this streak is BS and deserves an asterisk. Its to the point where its almost like how the Pats fans were treated during spy gate, and that was outright cheating. What kind of an area is this where such a great streak is treated in such a way? Here is an article for an example, its even the press here:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/boopstats/Ranting-on-a-Record-Injustice.html

any of you living outside of Detroit finding a similar attitude? I have to wonder if its a Philly thing, I mean they havent won a cup since the 70's, and the Wings were one of the teams that blocked them from winning on in 97.

Wow, "injustice"? Really?

I think it's to some extent a Philly thing. Philly sports fans in general are overly passionate at best, and I'd have to use the term "raging douchebags" at worst. I haven't listened to local sports talk all that carefully here in New England, but I certainly haven't heard any bile like that about the record. Hockey fans here seem to be more indifferent, and focused on how the Bruins are slumping. Also, hockey in general is still overshadowed by the angst and tragedy of the Pats, plus already gearing up for "tha Sowax!!" :P

Greg "Puck Daddy" Wyshynski said it better than I ever could, on the eve of breaking the record. (My emphasis added)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/shut-asterisks-red-wings-nhl-home-wins-record-041952216.html

A slice of life from the last time the Detroit Red Wings lost at home: The second season of HBO "24/7" was over a month away from premiering; Herman Cain was still a viable candidate for the presidency; and "Tebowing" still had that new car smell.

It was Nov. 3, 2011, against the Calgary Flames. Since then, the Detroit Red Wings have won 20 straight games at Joe Louis Arena, tying an NHL record established by the 1929-30 Boston Bruins and matched by the 1975-76 Philadelphia Flyers; both of whom went on to play in the Stanley Cup Final.

During the Wings' streak, which reached 20 with a 4-3 win over the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday, they've outscored their opponents 84-30. Starting goalie Jimmy Howard missed the last three home games, and yet the streak's alive — with a chance at making history at home on Tuesday night against the Dallas Stars.

"Ooooooh, but is it reeeallly history?" proclaim the "consider the circumstances" crowd, like our boy Brian Stubits on CBS Eye on Hockey. After all, three of the Red Wings' wins came in the shootout. The Flyers and Bruins had no such opportunity for hollow, counterfeit victories!

The asterisk police are really one of sports' most deplorable factions.

I dedicated a chapter to them in my book "Glow Pucks and 10-Cent Beer," because every sports record ever set can be given an "*" of some kind because the conditions under which they were established are unquestionably different than those in other eras.

The Red Wings had the benefit of a shootout; the '29 Bruins had the benefit of not having to travel West of Chicago in a 44-game season. And so on. We're either going to be a society that accepts these superficial accomplishments at face value, or a society that's in a constant state of Debby Downerism; the type that inspires someone to, oh I don't know, debunk an 8-point night.

If you're someone giving this record even a second of doubt as to its place in NHL history, check 'yo self. Detroit's winning under the established, accepted rules of their era, and beating the ever-loving crap out of the majority of road teams along the way.

This is an awe-striking record in a parity-infected league, should they break it.

If this was anywhere else besides a town like Philly, I would be surprised! But the teams, fans, and sportswriters of that town have a horrendous track record. I mean how many sports writers around consistently blog or write an article in how Detroits success is a sham.

There are no hockey fans in Atlanta besides me, so the streak hasn't even made the sports section of the local paper. Half of the people that live around here still think the Thrashers play in Atlanta, so as far as an opinion from an outside city, no one here really seems to know or care.

Barry Melrose (who isn't a big Wings fan) said when asked about the streak that he is surprised there isn't more talk about this in the media. The Wings play in the best division, the talent and teams in the NHL are better today than they have ever been, todays goalies are better and bigger.

I live in Philly, and I have never run across unsolicited comments in all my years as a red wings fans until now. Apparently this streak has pissed off alot of Flyers fans, and I have been told that this streak is BS and deserves an asterisk. Its to the point where its almost like how the Pats fans were treated during spy gate, and that was outright cheating. What kind of an area is this where such a great streak is treated in such a way? Here is an article for an example, its even the press here:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/boopstats/Ranting-on-a-Record-Injustice.html

any of you living outside of Detroit finding a similar attitude? I have to wonder if its a Philly thing, I mean they havent won a cup since the 70's, and the Wings were one of the teams that blocked them from winning on in 97.

Jealous fans will be jealous....

BTW, Detroit was THE TEAM that blocked them from winning in 97, not one of. They're mad because they steam-rolled everyone and was supposed to tear Detroit apart in the Finals...poor Lindros, he probably still has nightmares with Konstantinov haunting him!

That's not the press, it's just some blog. And the guy even admits at the start that it's misdirected frustration.

The Flyers are stinking it up, and we feel the need to take it out — at least statistically — on somebody. So here goes:

Next you're gonna tell me Flyers fans aren't nice?

Living in the Philly area my self. You will not find a bigger group of fair weather fans in my life. Jealousy is the greatest form of flattery. I get to currently listen to flyers fans how trading JVR, Bobrosky, briere, and Couterier for Nash is a good idea because briere ( one of there best playoff guys) JVR (young stud) Couterier (very young stud) and bob (another young stud) are worth all 7.8 million of Nash because all These players suck... Yes even 18 year old Couterier... I hope they trade for Nash and kiss away the fortune they have. Philly fans of all there teams are very sky high or sewer low in there players... One minute they love you the next they don't....

I really don't understand the SO argument. It's like they forget that Detroit has every chance to LOSE in the SO too.

Their argument gets invalidated by 1 logical point. If SO's make it so much easier to break long home win streaks, how is it that their team hasn't already broken the record? The shootout has been in place since 05-06. That's plenty of time for their team to have had such a great run.

Their argument gets invalidated by 1 logical point. If SO's make it so much easier to break long home win streaks, how is it that their team hasn't already broken the record? The shootout has been in place since 05-06. That's plenty of time for their team to have had such a great run.

That's been my point the whole time. If this is so damn easy, or doable, given the current rules, why has nobody else done it? I think they are just mad that we tied their record against them. They had the chance to stop the streak, and they didn't. Suck on that Philly *******.

Flyers fans need to start a letter-wrtiting campaign to Bettman; the usual crayons will suffice.

hahaha for some reason this caught me just right today and I'm still laughing over here. hahahah thank you very much for this small but significant comment=)

That's been my point the whole time. If this is so damn easy, or doable, given the current rules, why has nobody else done it? I think they are just mad that we tied their record against them. They had the chance to stop the streak, and they didn't. Suck on that Philly *******.

Teams haven't even sniffed the record the wings are making right now so I'm not sure how they can complain. But it's cool. The record is cool but really all I care about is home ice for the playoffs. That would be awesome.

While I understand their point to a certain extent, I'll bet my next paycheck that if it were the Flyers with the streak, they'd be thrilled*, as well as any other team's fans if it were their team.

*And I mean about the streak, not just winning in general!

While I understand their point to a certain extent, I'll bet my next paycheck that if it were the Flyers with the streak, they'd be thrilled*, as well as any other team's fans if it were their team.

*And I mean about the streak, not just winning in general!

I see what you did there. :rolleyes: You bet their ass they would. They're just trying to rain on our parade and I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that it was partially their record.