• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Meh. What's with other teams fans coming in and making pre-game posts like this? You are either setting out to gloat like a troll if the Nucks win or get absolutely ridiculed if they lose.

And weren't all Canucks fans saying the LAST game between these teams was the year's biggest "measuring stick"? Where'd the Canucks measure in that one?

Like others have said, this is a regular season game with 2 points on the line, nothing more, nothing less. Its like fans think their team will get more than 2 points in the standings if they beat the Wings.

Edited by hooon, 20 February 2012 - 01:43 PM.

Posted Image

#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,041 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

I dont know about the average Detroit fan but for me Thursday February 23 will be a touchstone game for the entire season and for both of these teams. Last year Detroit wasn't up to Vancouver's caliber of play and rightfully, did not face them in the playoffs. This year I absolutely demand a playoff series for all our sakes; we want this premier playoff matchup to happen in 2012 and it will!

This game will stage the Western Conference final, and it will end with the Canucks in six.

If Vancouver wins that means they will have split the regular season series with Detroit, just like last season. But somehow this game will be a touchstone for the season?

makes sense. :blink:

Detroit will and should just be focused on the two points. If you want to think it means something about the postseason, so be it. I'll just wait for the actual playoffs.

#23 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

What? No. If anything, when it comes to Babs it's another game. Babcock doesn't have the mindframe that THIS GAME IS EVERYTHING, he wants that done every game. I don't think ANYONE thinks this is more than a regular season game other than Vancouver fans. Just like I feel the Sharks victory wasn't that great because they're currently in the middle of their 9 game away stand.

I never said "This game means everything" but if you think any NHL coach does not look at the schedule and pay close attention to when the big match ups are coming up then you are crazy. Is this a must win game? No. Does Babcock want to win every game? yes. Will this game determine who will win the Cup? No. The point I was trying to make is that all big games give the coach a feeling on how their team is and how they compare to teams that they might play come playoff time. So will the players and the coaches treat this as just any old game? They had better not or they will get smoked. Vancouver is right on our heels in the standings and home ice advantage is huge.

I will agree that Vancouver fans are making this up to be the Stanley Cup Finals. One can only hope that the Wings spank them and they burn their own city to the ground! :P

#24 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Will you guys riot if you lose?

#25 LeonardSankar

LeonardSankar

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Will its a huge game with regards to getting the top seed in the conference as I think the Wings do need it if they want to beat the Canucks if they do in fact meet up in the West finals. I would imagine the Wings will drop the game at Chicago tomorrow and then have a tough test at home with those cry babies from Vancouver.

#26 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

If Vancouver wins that means they will have split the regular season series with Detroit, just like last season. But somehow this game will be a touchstone for the season?

makes sense. :blink:

Detroit will and should just be focused on the two points. If you want to think it means something about the postseason, so be it. I'll just wait for the actual playoffs.

:siren:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#27 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

I dont know about the average Detroit fan but for me Thursday February 23 will be a touchstone game for the entire season and for both of these teams. Last year Detroit wasn't up to Vancouver's caliber of play and rightfully, did not face them in the playoffs. This year I absolutely demand a playoff series for all our sakes; we want this premier playoff matchup to happen in 2012 and it will!

This game will stage the Western Conference final, and it will end with the Canucks in six.

lol
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#28 Bertmondi

Bertmondi

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

It is clearly a big game. And an indicator of how the two teams stack up.

Personally, I don't think Canuck fans overestimate the importance of this game any more so than (smug) Red Wings fans try to downplay the potential impending loss (let's face, it the home streak will end eventually). It is a big game, no two ways about it. By pointing out the obvious, that there are only two points at stake, you are taking away from the fact that the outcome will also impact the season series and potentially the ROW stat. Not to mention it is a clash of two of the NHL's flagship franchises.

While it is popular to crap on Vancouver, the team and its fans lately, I'd challenge any Wings fans on hockey knowledge and/or love of the game. There is any entire generation of Wings fans who have never experienced a losing season. Show me a fan who has watched all 82 of a team that finished out of the playoffs and I'll show you a hardcore Wings fan. So that means unless you're over 30 you're pretty much out.

It's easy to be a Wings fan because they have an excellent team and organization. But, from an outside fan's perspective that is obviously pure luck.

Anyways, I'm a fan of both teams and have always had a great deal of time for current and former Wings, especially Yzerman, Lidstrom and Larionov. Because they were/are great players and great people. You'd never catch them taking unsolicited shots at their competitors, unlike certain current players, media and fans (hello Bollard, Marchand...). Unfortunately, it seems the unreasonable and irrational distain for Vancouver has leaked into the usually civil Wings fanbase.

Edited by Bertmondi, 21 February 2012 - 02:57 AM.

#29 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Vancouver is a flagship franchise? That is news to me.

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,041 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

It is clearly a big game. And an indicator of how the two teams stack up.

Personally, I don't think Canuck fans overestimate the importance of this game any more so than (smug) Red Wings fans try to downplay the impending loss (let's face it the home streak will end eventually). It is a big game, no two ways about it. By pointing out the obvious, that there are only two points at stake, you are not taking away from the fact that the outcome will also impact the season series and potential the ROW stat. Not too mention it is a clash of two of the NHL's flagship franchises.

While it is popular to crap on Vancouver, the team and its fans lately, I'd challenge any Wings fans on hockey knowledge and/or love of the game. There is any entire generation of Wings fans who have never experienced a losing season. Show me a fan who has watched all 82 of a team that finished out of the playoffs and I'll show you a hardcore Wings fan. So that means unless you're over 30 you're pretty much out.

It's easy to be a Wings fan because they have an excellent team and organization. But, from an outside fan's perspective that is obviously pure luck.

Anyways, I'm a fan of both teams and have always had a great deal of time for current and former Wings, especially Yzerman, Lidstrom and Larionov. Because they were/are great players and great people. You'd never catch them taking unsolicited shots at their competitors, unlike certain current players, media and fans (hello Bollard, Marchand...). Unfortunately, it seems the unreasonable and irrational distain for Vancouver has leaked into the usually civil Wings fanbase.

They've played each other three times already this season!

It may be important to (the generally condescending) Vancouver fans. Just being honest when saying I don't think most Wings fans don't see it as that big of a deal. It's one game in the season. That's not smug. The Wings haven't made it out of the second round in a couple years now. It's not that they dont' have anything to prove. It's just that they have to beat whoever is in front of them, whether it's the Preds, Nucks, Sharks... whoever.

Honestly a Sharks game is a bigger deal because they are the team that's eliminated the Wings two years running now.

As for being popular to crap on Vancouver, the players and fans bring that on themselves. The Canucks used to be one of my favorite teams in the early to mid 90s. My recent disdain for them comes comes from personal experience in real life at games combined with the idiots over at hfboards. Last year they basically made that place intolerable. And at games they made Philly fans look good natured.

As for the actual team, they still have some players I like, but I can't get past all the diving that team does. The Sharks Nucks series was ridiculous, especially compared to Boston Tampa. Add to it garbage like finger biting, and they're just not a team I want to see win.

But hey if you want to ignore the prior three games this season and build this one up to be something it's not, so be it.

#31 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

We didn't offer these opinions unsolicited - they were asked for by a Nucks fan who insists this is a touchstone game. Sorry, but as a hockey fan who saw 30 longer ago than I care to admit, no one outside of Canada and under God only knows what age considers Vancouver an NHL "flagship." And no one has "dumped on" Vancouver in this thread any more than (and quite a bit less than) I've seen Nucks fans do in seasons past; we just don't consider this a game any more important than most. And we've lost regular season series to many whom we have subsequently dismissed from the playoffs. Outside of a divisional rival, regular season series in a good season don't mean a whole lot.
Detroit hasn't had an actual riot since 1968 and I defy you to find any real evidence outside of accusations from non-local media to prove otherwise, yet it's a perpetual joke in North America. Anyone who does have an actual riot is going to hear about it repeatedly from Detroiters. Might as well learn to live with it - it's not going away any time soon.
And it's not luck the Wings have been dominant - it's by the grace of Mike Ilitch and the genius of Jim Devellano. We Michiganders must be right with Jesus to be so blessed.
So I'm sorry if we don't hold the Nucks in the same esteem you do, but I am hard pressed to think of any reason thus far why we should.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#32 Taylorov

Taylorov

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Sunday's game against the Sharks had WAY more implications.

Aside from the streak, I don't really care if they drop one against Vancouver. :dntknw:

#33 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Thanks to living in BC, I get to constantly hear about how important Vancouver games vs Detroit are. Nearly every nucks fan I know is building this up like its the beginning of the playoffs. I agree that the win against the sharks was a bigger deal but I'd like to see the Wings win this so I don't have to hear the gloating around here.
As far as it being the popular thing to do, hating the Canucks, the fans in my area have been so wildly arrogant and obnoxious and the team has played in a way that I just don't enjoy watching. It's not like everybody just hates them for no reason and I assure you that it's not "jealousy" as most people claim.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#34 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Vancouver = va fanculo for all you Italians out there.

#35 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

The game in Chicago on Tuesday is the most important to me. After the Hawks' game, Vancouver's will be the most important.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 20 February 2012 - 09:16 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#36 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

The Canucks should be thanking the Wings for softening up the Sharks for them.

FYI, the Canucks used the Wings model to built their team. The Wings are up to, and better than, the Canucks caliber, because they invented it. I think if the two teams played each other in the WCF the Wings would win because the Sedin's won't be able to step up to the level of play Datsyuk and Zetterberg are capable in the playoffs and they'll disappear, again. Also the pressure on Luongo in the 2012 playoffs will be more than last year, leaving Howard to probably have a better series.

Wings in 6.

The game in Chicago on Tuesday is the most important to me. After the Hawks' game, Vancouver's will be the most important.

Thursday's game will be more important to me, because I'll be there!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#37 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

I agree, go in the mutthouse on Madison and pick up a good road win and bury the Hawks from winning this division if they aren't out of it already then come home and get back to business on home ice. 4 points up for grabs against 2 good hockey teams. Nothing more..nothing less

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#38 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

the canucks are playing in nashville on tuesday,after canucks and wings have played their games on tuesday,then they can focus on each other on wed and thursday

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState, 20 February 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#39 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Canucks = most overrated team :D . Voted by players themselves.

#40 wolverine1817

wolverine1817

Go Blue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

lol... Red Wings win 22 straight home games and then other teams' fans come in here acting as if them beating the Wings would be such a huge deal lololol. Like it's not bound to happen sometime...

Winning streaks end, ending one doesn't make your team awesome, it just fulfills the law of averages.

I've never been too excited about this streak anyways. I mean, it's nice for the win-loss record and for the people who've attended the games, but I want a cup and nothing can replace Lord Stanley.