• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shaeb30

Ty Conklin clears waivers, assigned to GR

Rate this topic

With the stellar play of Joey Mac since Jimbo went down with the finger injury, what should be done with Conklin when Jimmy is back in net? I think the logical move would be to send Joey back down to GR, since he has the 2 way deal, but is Conklin really even worth keeping on the main roster? I'm not sure if he would clear waivers or not, but if he did, think of the boost that could create for the Griffins as well!

Good point... I didn't think about it like that. That might be risky too though, keeping him on the club and out of regular playing time. I guess there are pros and cons no matter which way you look at it...

Good point... I didn't think about it like that. That might be risky too though, keeping him on the club and out of regular playing time. I guess there are pros and cons no matter which way you look at it...

It's not like he ever had regular playing time anyway this season. I think Ty needs to be given a chance to play whether it be in GR or on another team. Who wants to sit the entire season and then be criticized for poor play on the very rare occasion he's called upon?

Do we NEED to send him down for anything other than practice and keeping him in shape? After the trade deadline the roster limit goes away.

The roster limit doesn't go away until after the regular season. But there is an open spot because Eaves is on LTIR for the time being.

Edit: Disregard.

Edited by wingsdiehard13

Yeah, I don't think there is any 'decision' to be made at this point - without a doubt he is our 3rd string goaltender at this point and needs to re-focus himself in Grand Rapids before playoff call-ups.

The only reason I'd see to send Macdonald down is to keep him playing regularly. Although, I'd rather have them rest Howard more often, so that he doesn't have the Kiprusoff syndrome.

Not surprising, with the way Joey's been playing.

Guess this means Howard is healthy enough to play or sit as backup.

He's slated to start tomorrow in Chicago.

The roster limit doesn't go away until after the regular season. But there is an open spot because Eaves is on LTIR for the time being.

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=26377

23-man Roster There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

Edited by evilzyme

I wonder if the Hawks make a play for him... they are in desperate need. Feel bad for the guy but you can't deny that J-MAC out played him and seems to want it more.

I'd doubt very very much if the Hawks tried to claim him. They are desperate in goal, but in all honestly having Conklin could make things worse for them somehow. Crawford has at least played well the past couple games so I'm guessing they're just hoping for the best with him from here on out.

I do feel bad for Ty, it cannot be easy to get waived from a team at this point in your career and not be sure if you've played your last NHL game.

Still, Joey has been awesome and now we can finally have a normal goalie rotation for the last 20 or so games. Hoping Jimmy hasn't lost a step and plays the way he was before the broken finger.

I do feel more confident in our goalie situation than I have in several years. :thumbup:

I really like Ty, but Joey has come out of nowhere and has earned his spot. I do wish we could have kept all three around, but maybe Ty is better off somewhere where he can work off the rust and have a game here and there. It can't be fun sitting all the time.

Guest Crymson

The roster limit no longer applies after the trade deadline.

Start Jimmy vs. Chicago AND Vancouver to get him back into game shape, then rotate every other until the playoffs. Or maybe give Jimmy 2 and Joey 1 every three. Joey has proven he can play against the elite teams, so its no matter who the Wings start him and Jimmy against. I just say, give Jimmy the next two to get going and then do a rotation.

I feel for Ty, but if he goes unclaimed he will get plenty of playing time in GRR and at the same salary, so he won't be up here but he will be making his NHL salary. GRR is in desperate need of a goalie every since Joey has been gone, so Conklin would be a welcome sight. If he does get claimed then it will be a team that needs him to play right now, so he will get his playing time there as well. I would love for him to stay in the organization and even re-sign to play in GRR next season, because he will get huge minutes and when he plays alot, he plays great! Ty shouldn't be mad (hopefully) at the Wings brass, he knew he wasn't playing well enough to keep the Wings rolling in first place, sure it may of had to do with very limited starts, but that is just how it worked out and you cannot change it. I hope he clears waivers and starts every game in GRR and becomes "ready" to be our third string and be called upon when and if needed.

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=26377

23-man Roster There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

The roster limit no longer applies after the trade deadline.

My mistake. Thanks guys :thumbup: