• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shaeb30

Ty Conklin clears waivers, assigned to GR

Rate this topic

I see it as a great move, as long as Conklin clears waivers, to send him down to GR & play all the time. He seems to play better when he is playing more often, so he goes down to GR & is the #1 guy there, and by the time the playoffs come around he will be all tuned up in case (GOD FORBID) something bad happened to Jimmy or Joey.

That all said, I kind of see a team like the NY Islanders taking a shot at him. Their goaltending situation has been insane all year & they have been using call-ups from the minors half the year. Ty would be an upgrade over some of the goalies they have used. Or a team like Columbus who's goaltending has been horrific, might take a shot at him. He'd be an upgrade over both Sanford & Mason (side note: what the heck happenned to Mason? He has fallen from top prospect/rookie, to backing up Curtis Freaking Sanford!).

on a side note, i gotta feel for GR this year. They are 6th in scoring this year but the goalie situ with Joey being hurt earlier in the year and now him being up with the Wings left them with a Pearce 3.39gga/McCollum 3.59gga

tandom. Compare this to Joey's 2.63gga in GR and you can see why the Griffs are struggling when the roster suggest's they should be in a playoff position.

I hope Conks finds a new team in the NHL to play full time. I was excited when he came back as he was really playing good while Ozzie was out and then he was gone. When he came back it was obvious that he wasnt the same player that he left as. Sadly, he wasnt able to play at the Wings level and as with any elite organazation the weak get turned over.

To his credit he was thrown into some games that were all but lost and the others were him being dead cold. Joey was playing regularly with Grand Rapids so that may be a reason why there was a night and day difference for the backups. Its too bad that the NHL is a fickle sport like any pro league and you make it or break it in just a few games. I recall a few years back where Jimmy was called up and lost the game only to say that he didnt think he would ever play in the NHL again. To Howies benefit he has youth on his side, Conks doesnt.

I think Ty will get a chance on a rebuilding team and will see action but I just dont see it at the level that the DRW brings. Maybe a year or two with CBJ or the like and itll be curtains. Hes not decrepit and certaintly not done but hes not going to be a heartbeat away from backstopping a team in the SCF.

Good luck Ty, thanks for everything.

I'd doubt very very much if the Hawks tried to claim him. They are desperate in goal, but in all honestly having Conklin could make things worse for them somehow. Crawford has at least played well the past couple games so I'm guessing they're just hoping for the best with him from here on out.

I do feel bad for Ty, it cannot be easy to get waived from a team at this point in your career and not be sure if you've played your last NHL game.

:thumbup:

Sure, you hate to see the guy lose his job midseason and possibly blow a shot at the Cup, but he's repportedly made over $5m throughout his hockey career. Any way you look at it, that's an awesome life to have lead. 5 milllllllion dollars! Damn.

Sure, you hate to see the guy lose his job midseason and possibly blow a shot at the Cup, but he's repportedly made over $5m throughout his hockey career. Any way you look at it, that's an awesome life to have lead. 5 milllllllion dollars! Damn.

Loose his job ? The guy was payed 750k. That is a little too much for a "great" or "cool" guy just to be in a team and suck every game he played, except that one game vs Avalanche. I think he should not play another NHL game if that is the way he plays.

Well good luck to him anyways.

It's not like he ever had regular playing time anyway this season. I think Ty needs to be given a chance to play whether it be in GR or on another team. Who wants to sit the entire season and then be criticized for poor play on the very rare occasion he's called upon?

I couldn't agree more. Sheesh it's not like Joey's been sitting. He has been PLAYING even if it's been down in Grand Rapids. Ty should have been played more. If Joey sat, like Conklin has he probably would have played just as poorly.

Updated topic title. As already mentioned, Conks cleared waivers.

CHICAGO -- Detroit Red Wings goaltender Ty Conklin has cleared waivers and has been assigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Conklin, 35, has struggled this season, going 3-5-0 with a 3.40 GAA and .878 save percentage. The Red Wings signed him to a one-year, $750,000 free-agent contract in the summer.

The Red Wings are hoping he can play regularly with the Griffins and get his game back.

In the meantime, Joey MacDonald won the backup job by going 6-1-1, with a 1.66 goals-against average and .934 save percentage after stepping in for the injured Jimmy Howard.

Howard is scheduled to return to action tonight in Chicago (8 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit), after breaking his right index finger in a 4-3 shootout win in Vancouver on Feb. 2.

Unfortunate for Ty, but I bet the Red Wings org. is happy to have him in GR. Holland's over-ripe philosophy goes over a lot well when GR is actually a good place to play. They look like a high school team some nights...

A Win for Ty - 22 saves on 24 shots

Griffins win (Surprise!) against the Hamilton Bulldogs 4-2

http://griffinshockey.com/news/releases/index.html?article_id=2091

While we're at it:

Gustav Nyquist 1g 2a

Joakim Andersson 2a

Brendan Smith 1g 1a

Fabian Brunnstrom 1a

Chris Conner 1g

Tomas Tatar 1g (EN)

6776228314_8458164b41.jpg