• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I really like Ty, but Joey has come out of nowhere and has earned his spot. I do wish we could have kept all three around, but maybe Ty is better off somewhere where he can work off the rust and have a game here and there. It can't be fun sitting all the time.

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

The roster limit doesn't go away until after the regular season. But there is an open spot because Eaves is on LTIR for the time being.

The roster limit no longer applies after the trade deadline.

#23 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Start Jimmy vs. Chicago AND Vancouver to get him back into game shape, then rotate every other until the playoffs. Or maybe give Jimmy 2 and Joey 1 every three. Joey has proven he can play against the elite teams, so its no matter who the Wings start him and Jimmy against. I just say, give Jimmy the next two to get going and then do a rotation.

I feel for Ty, but if he goes unclaimed he will get plenty of playing time in GRR and at the same salary, so he won't be up here but he will be making his NHL salary. GRR is in desperate need of a goalie every since Joey has been gone, so Conklin would be a welcome sight. If he does get claimed then it will be a team that needs him to play right now, so he will get his playing time there as well. I would love for him to stay in the organization and even re-sign to play in GRR next season, because he will get huge minutes and when he plays alot, he plays great! Ty shouldn't be mad (hopefully) at the Wings brass, he knew he wasn't playing well enough to keep the Wings rolling in first place, sure it may of had to do with very limited starts, but that is just how it worked out and you cannot change it. I hope he clears waivers and starts every game in GRR and becomes "ready" to be our third string and be called upon when and if needed.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#24 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Conks reached his expiry date. Best thing is to send him down, maybe he can play some and get some sort of consistency back and if another team thinks he can get it back, maybe we'll get an offer before Feb 28th.

#25 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=26377

23-man Roster There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

The roster limit no longer applies after the trade deadline.

My mistake. Thanks guys :thumbup:

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Too bad for Ty, but it had to be done.

Edited by Crymson, 20 February 2012 - 01:34 PM.

• Ram likes this

#27 SpiritFan

SpiritFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

I see it as a great move, as long as Conklin clears waivers, to send him down to GR & play all the time. He seems to play better when he is playing more often, so he goes down to GR & is the #1 guy there, and by the time the playoffs come around he will be all tuned up in case (GOD FORBID) something bad happened to Jimmy or Joey.

That all said, I kind of see a team like the NY Islanders taking a shot at him. Their goaltending situation has been insane all year & they have been using call-ups from the minors half the year. Ty would be an upgrade over some of the goalies they have used. Or a team like Columbus who's goaltending has been horrific, might take a shot at him. He'd be an upgrade over both Sanford & Mason (side note: what the heck happenned to Mason? He has fallen from top prospect/rookie, to backing up Curtis Freaking Sanford!).

#28 SetecX

SetecX

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

New role www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Vmv9PSTcY#t=0m26s
  • Ram likes this

#29 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

on a side note, i gotta feel for GR this year. They are 6th in scoring this year but the goalie situ with Joey being hurt earlier in the year and now him being up with the Wings left them with a Pearce 3.39gga/McCollum 3.59gga
tandom. Compare this to Joey's 2.63gga in GR and you can see why the Griffs are struggling when the roster suggest's they should be in a playoff position.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#30 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

New role www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Vmv9PSTcY#t=0m26s

Your avatar gives me slight anxiety. :unsure:

#31 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

Your avatar gives me slight anxiety. :unsure:

It makes me feel epileptic.

Would be cool if Conks clears and I get to see him play here in a month. Too bad he could never find a rhythm in the Wheel this year though.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#32 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Conks is a great guy I wish him the best. just not against Detroit.

#33 Ernesto_182

Ernesto_182

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Conks is my favorite goalie, so bad he is put on waivers..

I hope he makes a good job on GRR and who knows when the season ends, I really hope it's not his last year on the NHL!!
Posted Image

#34 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

I as well hope conks clears and gets to play a bit more, I even hope he signs again in the offseason as well but thats unlikely im sure. He is just a great guy and would really help mentor those kids in GR. Good luck Ty :thumbup:
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#35 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Saw it coming by Joey's play. No surprise really. Best of luck Ty as mentioned already but not against the Wings. :P

#36 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Saw it coming by Joey's play. No surprise really. Best of luck Ty as mentioned already but not against the Wings. :P

I doubt anyone will pick him up. He should finish out the year with the griffens

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#37 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

curious about the timing... was it absolutely necessary to waive Conks now? does Kenny need the roster spot... i.e. does he expect to add someone?? :blink:

#38 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Good luck and many thanks to Ty.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#39 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

Joey Mac has just been too good. Best of luck to Conks and hopefully he clears and plays full time in GR.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#40 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

I hope Conks finds a new team in the NHL to play full time. I was excited when he came back as he was really playing good while Ozzie was out and then he was gone. When he came back it was obvious that he wasnt the same player that he left as. Sadly, he wasnt able to play at the Wings level and as with any elite organazation the weak get turned over.

To his credit he was thrown into some games that were all but lost and the others were him being dead cold. Joey was playing regularly with Grand Rapids so that may be a reason why there was a night and day difference for the backups. Its too bad that the NHL is a fickle sport like any pro league and you make it or break it in just a few games. I recall a few years back where Jimmy was called up and lost the game only to say that he didnt think he would ever play in the NHL again. To Howies benefit he has youth on his side, Conks doesnt.

I think Ty will get a chance on a rebuilding team and will see action but I just dont see it at the level that the DRW brings. Maybe a year or two with CBJ or the like and itll be curtains. Hes not decrepit and certaintly not done but hes not going to be a heartbeat away from backstopping a team in the SCF.

Good luck Ty, thanks for everything.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!