• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frwtv

freeredwings.tv stops streaming NHL games

Rate this topic

My cable doesn't carry centre ice or NHL network, so the only games I get are Wild games and NBC ones. I have used your stream and been grateful for it.

This always happens. By the end of the year, they've caught up with people.

Good luck with your family and thank you for the service you've provided. <hugs>

Another appreciative fan :thumbup: for doing it, you had the best HD stream out there, nothing came close. As you can imagine, living out in BC, not too many Wings games on broadcast even though I have cable. Will miss your stream dearly but can't thank you enough for the games that you streamed so far.

Any chance we can all chip in for you to register a new site/domain name :D ? I'm going to dread going back to those grainy feeds elsewhere.

Edited by RedWingsRox

To me his "thank the NHL" comment means moreso thank them for being the most difficult sport to watch on TV anywhere in the world. Sometimes it seems as though they DON'T want fans to watch their product at all. What with the nonsensical blackout restrictions, only one national network that actually broadcasts games, and very limited or nonexistent out of market coverage. I don't go out of my way to stream games online, I do it when I have no other options to watch the game, which unfortunately is more often than not.

Thanks for the streams while they lasted, best of luck.

read it again perhaps?

I know people get instantly defensive when it comes to an issue like this and love to argue their side and lecture other adults about morels, right/wrong but if you look at his last sentence he isn't blaming the nhl. he simply states he would love to continue to provide this service but the party's been ruined. I'm just saying he is already being forced to close his site; chastising the dude like he is ignorant of the law comes off as a little insulting.

I wasn't chastising him, or attempting to lecture anyone on morals (pppst, that ain't my photo in my avatar!), or attempting to argue a legal point as there's nothing really to "argue" about the legality of unauthorized streaming. Perhaps it's matter of perspective as I create copyrighted material that I've seen misappropriated on-line without my permission from time to time and I know that people often get defensive when you ask them to stop the infringement and you're made to be the "bad guy". If Getty were to send me a note to ask that I find another image to use instead of Homer's butt in Mason's face, I'd do so and not be upset about it because I know I wouldn't have much if any ground to stand on.

But if the OP isn't blaming the NHL's flexing of their legal muscle as reason the party's been "ruined", then I don't know where you think that he thinks the fault lies instead. He could have said "Sorry guys, but I had to take it down over objections by the NHL" and left it at that.

If my post came off as insulting, I can assure you that that wasn't my intent. I'll add my thanks to the OP for making the effort while knowing that you were risking taking one for the team.

Edited by Gizmo

It was great while it lasted and I know we all appreciated it. I'll gladly blame the NHL, intellectual property or not.

You see, I paid for NHL GameCenter Live this year - not Center Ice, because I no longer have cable - thinking I'd get to watch most of the Wings' games on it. Instead, it seems like every other game is blacked out on GCL due to NBC Sports or the NHL Network, forcing me to find an illegal stream to watch a game that, by all rights, I paid to watch.

Thank you for your great work. I loved your stream so much. Living in europe it is not easy to view games. Your stream gave me the opportunity to watch so many great in a row and watch so many great moments at the time it happens. To watch highlights the day after it is not the same. I liked the chat and all the people who wanted to see some great Red Wings games. Thank you so much :clap: It gave me a good feeling every night the Red Wings played.

And to the NHL: improve Game-Center. I dont like the possibility, that some games might not be available to watch live. Improve and i will sign.

I've always been in the mindset that Center Ice and Gamecenter LIVE should be packaged together. If you buy one, you get both. I spend $180/season to watch games on TV, why can't I have access to GCL as well?

FWIW, there are other sites out there with quality feeds. You just have to know where to find them. :hehe:

It was great while it lasted and I know we all appreciated it. I'll gladly blame the NHL, intellectual property or not.

You see, I paid for NHL GameCenter Live this year - not Center Ice, because I no longer have cable - thinking I'd get to watch most of the Wings' games on it. Instead, it seems like every other game is blacked out on GCL due to NBC Sports or the NHL Network, forcing me to find an illegal stream to watch a game that, by all rights, I paid to watch.

Now I am going throught the same thing, I bought NHL Gamecenter Live as well and soooooo many games get played and advertised but I cannot watch because it's on my local station...NHL GAME CENTER IS MY STATION, man it's bulls***. Then they threaten these "little" people who are actually providing a service for very little or no return to other people who other wise cant afford it? What the f***.

Good luck man and thank you :thumbup:

Now I am going throught the same thing, I bought NHL Gamecenter Live as well and soooooo many games get played and advertised but I cannot watch because it's on my local station...NHL GAME CENTER IS MY STATION, man it's bulls***. Then they threaten these "little" people who are actually providing a service for very little or no return to other people who other wise cant afford it?

Believe me, this isn't just an NHL problem. I'm not sure what the problem would be with the NHL's own network, but as Internet viewing becomes more and more popular broadcast rights holders are becoming more and more guarded about allowing things to be streamed by other outlets (even those of the sporting body themselves). For example, IndyCar fans are upset that the CEO of IndyCar has announced due to reservations by NBC Sports Network (sound familiar?)and ABC there will be NO live streaming of IndyCar practice or qualifying as has been available in past years.

Edited by Gizmo

Now I am going throught the same thing, I bought NHL Gamecenter Live as well and soooooo many games get played and advertised but I cannot watch because it's on my local station...NHL GAME CENTER IS MY STATION, man it's bulls***. Then they threaten these "little" people who are actually providing a service for very little or no return to other people who other wise cant afford it? What the f***.

Good luck man and thank you :thumbup:

I agree that the NHL needs to improve gamecenter and stop blocking out games for the NHL network, but thing is, the service he's providing is clearly illegal.

If people can't afford it, it sucks but that's the way it goes. We all make choices as to what we will and won't spend money on. Stealing it to share with those who can't afford it doesn't make it any less illegal.

There was a time not too long ago where if you didn't live in the Metro Detroit area, you just weren't able to watch Red Wings games. Gamecenter is far from perfect, but with that and Center Ice, there's a helluva lot more opportunity to watch the Wings game than there used to be.

I wasn't chastising him, or attempting to lecture anyone on morals (pppst, that ain't my photo in my avatar!), or attempting to argue a legal point as there's nothing really to "argue" about the legality of unauthorized streaming. Perhaps it's matter of perspective as I create copyrighted material that I've seen misappropriated on-line without my permission from time to time and I know that people often get defensive when you ask them to stop the infringement and you're made to be the "bad guy". If Getty were to send me a note to ask that I find another image to use instead of Homer's butt in Mason's face, I'd do so and not be upset about it because I know I wouldn't have much if any ground to stand on.

But if the OP isn't blaming the NHL's flexing of their legal muscle as reason the party's been "ruined", then I don't know where you think that he thinks the fault lies instead. He could have said "Sorry guys, but I had to take it down over objections by the NHL" and left it at that.

If my post came off as insulting, I can assure you that that wasn't my intent. I'll add my thanks to the OP for making the effort while knowing that you were risking taking one for the team.

Fair enough. Maybe there was no chastising and I took your post out of context as you seemed to do with with the op. My apologies.

You seem like you're really reaching to force an opinion on the op. You seem to think he doesn't feel "at fault" because he wrote the nhl ruined the party. I do believe you are taking that to mean something deeper than the op intended. No one has been implying that the op doesn't accept fault except for you. Oh, you're a creator of copyrighted material? Good thing you don't let personal bias effect your opinions and decision making.

yes, he could have just said "Sorry guys, but I had to take it down over objections by the NHL", alternatively you could have also just added your thanks and left out the bits about how he could not see this coming or acting like its stupid to register that domain name. That's my point or did I take your unnecessary insults out of context?

While I confess to having watched a streamed game or two after losing the battle for control of the family TV, I don't "blame" the NHL for anything in the C&D letter. Let's not kid ourselves, unauthorized streaming of copyrighted programming is blatantly illegal. It doesn't matter if it's "for profit" or done as a service for fellow fans. I'm sorry that you no doubt had the daylights scared out of you when you opened the letter, but could you really not see this coming? You registered a domain that screams "Hey, free illegal streaming of Red Wings games over here!!!!" I mean, dude......!

It's also not a Crosby-lovin'-Bettman thing. Show me one major sporting body that doesn't defend their broadcasts in such a manner.

Actually, it does. Copyright infringement for profit is a criminal issue; copyright infringement not-for-profit is traditionally a civil issue. This is an important distinction because the OP wouldn't get arrested, he would get sued.

Oh, you're a creator of copyrighted material? Good thing you don't let personal bias effect your opinions and decision making.

We all often "read things" based on our personal perspectives (or "bias", if you will) and I already said that I interpreted the comment as someone that's been accused of being the person dumping the turd in the copyright punch bowl in the past.

That's my point or did I take your unnecessary insults out of context?

Rick, you're free to feel whatever you want... Saying something wasn't a good idea isn't equated with calling it "stupid" and not seeing something coming can also be due to naivety which, again, isn't a form of stupidity.

Actually, it does. Copyright infringement for profit is a criminal issue; copyright infringement not-for-profit is traditionally a civil issue. This is an important distinction because the OP wouldn't get arrested, he would get sued.

It doesn't make a difference in terms of the actions being illegal. Either way it's a violation of copyright law. The only difference is the venue of redress available to the copyright holder: criminal vs. civil complaint. The reason I mentioned this is that "It's OK to give out copies as long as I don't make money off of it" seems to be the single largest copyright myth on the Internet.