• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frwtv

freeredwings.tv stops streaming NHL games

Rate this topic

nhl ® is doing poor job providing viewers with best options. that's why there are 'pirating'.

and worse, nhl will NOT learn, they have pretty dumb lawyer running the organization and first they will ban, sue, put in jail, and then they have no incentives to make it better for fans...

well, i don know if it has been posted, if yes sorry, here is what other thinks about nhl's poor job: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/learned-hockey-day-america-please-restrict-americans-access-145003578.html

I don't know why you got hit with a lot of negative reviews for something that is just so obvious. I for one also thank the OP for his efforts. At the same time, I have to agree with you. This kind of thing wasn't going to last forever. The NHL is a big business, and every major sport out there is looking to squash these free streaming sites. Its a shame when it happens, because all they are doing is making this content available to those of us who don't have cable TV or don't have access to the game. At the same time, we shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks again for your efforts! It was good while it lasted.

The thing is if someone can watch a stream they can toss down the 170 bucks a year to watch all the games via the NHLs stream. 82 games for 170 bucks is pretty darn good if you ask me.

Edited by korrowan

The thing is if someone can watch a stream they can toss down the 170 bucks a year to watch all the games via the NHLs stream. 82 games for 170 bucks is pretty darn good if you ask me.

If I had GameCenter Live I wouldn't get close to 82 regular season Wings games a year. Without cable, I wouldn't be able to watch any of the CBJ-Wings games or any of the games on NBCSN. IMO the NHL would gain a lot of subscribers if the blackout restrictions were lifted- how many people would choose to watch via the internet over cable for those games?

This problem is furthered during the playoffs, when most games after the first round are on national tv.

I don't mind paying the NHL for full access to Wings games. Unfortunately, the NHL does not provide that option for users without cable.

If I had GameCenter Live I wouldn't get close to 82 regular season Wings games a year. Without cable, I wouldn't be able to watch any of the CBJ-Wings games or any of the games on NBCSN. IMO the NHL would gain a lot of subscribers if the blackout restrictions were lifted- how many people would choose to watch via the internet over cable for those games?

This problem is furthered during the playoffs, when most games after the first round are on national tv.

I don't mind paying the NHL for full access to Wings games. Unfortunately, the NHL does not provide that option for users without cable.

You can watch them 2 days later.

You can watch them 2 days later.

As someone who watches 75+ games a season live, that is not a compelling option.

My complaint is that I am required to spend $800+ a year between cable fees (NBCSN requires the additional fee of a box and another teir) and GameCenter fees to see every Wings live. For that price, I can afford to see every CBJ home game in person. As someone without cable, it is not merely a $200 fee to see every game (that would be an easily acceptable price for me). I don't mind the $200 fee, it is the additional $500+ fee for cable that I don't agree with.

For that reason, I thank the OP for his service and I certainly understand the stop of the stream.

I would have loved to continue providing the service, but you can thank the NHL for ruining the party.

To everybody who is curious about the intent of this sentence:

I am definitely not oblivious to the copyright laws and this isn't the first cease and desist letter I have received - not even the first from the NHL. I knew about the SOPA and PIPA resolutions months before they ever got to be big news and protested across the web. I knew before I started the site that it was both illegal / unauthorized copyright infringement and its days were numbered. I streamed nearly all of last season's games on a daily basis on a private justin.tv stream that I passworded and provided to about 100 fans. I have recorded games and uploaded them to torrent sites.

I was not "blaming" the NHL like I was a victim or upset or anything like that. My intent for the comment was directed at any viewers of the site who might get upset. If they want somebody to be upset at, don't look at me. I don't blame the NHL for protecting their copyrighted works , but I also don't always trust everybody on the internet to think rationally. Just trying to avoid people getting upset at me, that's all.

I hope everybody that used my site is able to find alternative streams for Red Wings games. With a little searching, they're not difficult to find :cool:

on a private justin.tv stream that I passworded and provided to about 100 fans.

uploaded them to torrent sites.

Hmm I might know who you are, more than I thought.

So....will you be selling one of your Blackmagics?

Holy s***, I just got your email....I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner who you were. Damn dude, you should of said something when you started. Again good luck to ya, it's always good to walk away before things take a turn for the worst. You should add me to google chat or something, to keep in touch.

Edited by drumnj

I was good while it lasted. Thanks for running it as long as you did. Maybe someone should start up a freepenguins.tv site and only show Wings games...it would probably go unnoticed, and maybe even receive funding from the NHL.

I would love to see the results of this experiment!

For now. I hope his site survives.

Is it because of all this SOPA and PIPA and FIFA business?

No, it has technically been illegal to stream games online for a whwile. Big business whines to the government enough, and now these bills have been introduced to increase surveillance of everything online, not just websites like frw.tv. They needed an excuse to watch our every move online, and with broadcast companies or whoever bitching about copyright infringement, they have found their excuse.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Damn this sucks. I loved your streams. Now how am I supposed to watch wings games during a boring chemistry lecture?

As a 25 year old who never went to college and kicked ass as a 10th grader in AP chemistry, I am really jealous, I should probably go back to school and relearn that s***, i know I'd find it anything but boring.

Hockey nerrrrds. cool.gif

I'm sorry to hear about this. I've been very thankful of your site ever since I started experiencing problems with drumnj's stream. There's no way for me to be able to afford the channels needed for watching NHL here.

Thank you for everything. It was great while it lasted.

I will exaclty echo this. I started lagging out terribly while watching drumnj's streams. Never had a problem before a few months ago, so i've been using your stream the last while. Could never afford to pay for cable, especially because I would only use it just to watch the occasional hockey game Thanks, was great while it lasted, have fun with the little poop machine blush.gif

Edited by casey holmstrom

I started lagging out terribly while watching drumnj's streams. Never had a problem before a few months ago

Been trying to figure it out. Had some repair work done on the line today....looking at other options.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

that is really too bad. it was a good alternative stream to watch red wings games. even though im committed to drum, every now and then i would pop in your channel just to say hey to everyone. you will be sadly missed. you should definately get some kind of award here on LGW. dont know what one but definately well deserved. good luck to you and your first child. im sure you are very excited. :)

I think we've been spoiled by the early days of the Internet. Everything has been free (like these streams) and while I want to complain that they shut all these streaming shuts down...I guess I can see why they do.

Of course, I don't have cable and Game Center won't help me since I live in Michigan, so I don't know where to find a stream to watch the game tonight. I wish you could just order certain channels ala carte. I'd pay 10 bucks a month for just FSD. I pay 8 for Netflix and find it comparable.

I'm usually home for most games...but your stream was by far the best I've encountered.

Holler when you need some time away from the new baby (trust me you will) and I'll buy you a cold one :beerbuddy: