• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'm sorry? Green yes, but Backstrom, previous to these post-concussion symptoms he's plagued by (like so many other great players) I believe he had barely missed a game in his career. He's also imo the best player on the team. He can pass, he can score, he plays pretty decent defense.. they're definitely missing him as a team, and it's probably atleast one reason Ovie's production is so low this year.

You're right, I unfairly lumped him in with Green. After looking at his career games played stats, I will have to eat crow. He's been much better than most guys on our team even. I was wrong.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#22 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

I think he is too young to be past his prime. The Caps are having an awful year and things have definitely shook up / are going to shake up down there. For one, it may be good for the league to have stories outside of the normal Crosby v. Ovechkin talk. It also could be bad that their go-to poster boys aren't doing so hot. But my answer is no, not past his prime, having a rough go this year.

Disregarding both of their lengthy, expensive contracts, would you trade Zetterberg for Ovechkin, straight up?

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hasn't Backstrom been hurt for a while? He's their top center and Ovechkin's set-up man. Naturally that would decrease his scoring somewhat.

But there is some truth to teams having figured him out a little. He doesn't seem to be scoring as much off the rush with that wristshot, using the defender as a screen. He used to score like that every game seemingly.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hard to evaluate Ovie's play when the org. as a whole is mediocre at best. It's something hard to identify, but, for whatever reason(s), I don't really ever real as though the Caps are the real deal. (Whereas, for example, the Pens are a clear threat almost every year). Perhaps it's because their star players are incredibly non-committal, perhaps it's because their GM can't really assemble a complete hockey club, even when he's got some of the best on the planet on entry-level contracts.

It's dangerous when you get that 1st or 2nd overall, because you're usually a cellar dweller and it's awfully tempting to take a 'go with what you know' approach with a player like Ovie. Nobody told him otherwise. Who was captain of the Caps when Ovie showed up? I know they didn't have a good coach. Crosby had Mario, and others.

If Ovie had 'grown up' with the Wings these past 5 years or so, he'd be a much different player.
what

#25 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

I agree with pretty much all you wrote. When Ovechkin first came into the league I was enamored with his exciting and explosive play. I would see him cherry-picking and floating on the backcheck but figured these were things he would pick up, while still have that incredible speed and shot.

He never picked up any of those things, and the moves that used to score him so many goals don't work anymore, not just for him but for everybody. The league is a much different one than it was six years ago when he came on the scene, defenses have adjusted to the speed and openness of the game. It seems like Ovechkin is unwilling to adapt.

I agree. But I think a lot has to be said for incredibly goaltending. It seems that this season, every game has at least one highlight reel save. I mean even back-ups like Rask and our own Joey Mac have been stellar. Offense is getting harder to do, and whilst it's evident enough for people on here to question if Ovechkin is past his prime, having turned 31 in October the same can be said of one of our star forwards... but that's a different topic.

I think he actually could be past his prime, after all everyone peaks at different points. You always get cases of young kids being league leaders and slowing down, whilst also getting older guys having distinctly average early careers only to explode at a later date. I mean (not entirely true as he's been great for years) but I'm sure lots of people didn't expect Dats to be getting better with each new year. Yes the vast majority of people don't peak at 26, or at 30-odd, but a few people do.

I really hope he hasn't peaked as he's such an exciting player to watch, but perhaps its worth trying to trade him, both to kickstart his game and also to avoid the risk of having a player for the next 9 years who's on a steady decline. Either way he needs to change rather than the organisation or it's staff..... again.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#26 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hard to evaluate Ovie's play when the org. as a whole is mediocre at best. It's something hard to identify, but, for whatever reason(s), I don't really ever real as though the Caps are the real deal. (Whereas, for example, the Pens are a clear threat almost every year). Perhaps it's because their star players are incredibly non-committal, perhaps it's because their GM can't really assemble a complete hockey club, even when he's got some of the best on the planet on entry-level contracts.

It's dangerous when you get that 1st or 2nd overall, because you're usually a cellar dweller and it's awfully tempting to take a 'go with what you know' approach with a player like Ovie. Nobody told him otherwise. Who was captain of the Caps when Ovie showed up? I know they didn't have a good coach. Crosby had Mario, and others.

If Ovie had 'grown up' with the Wings these past 5 years or so, he'd be a much different player.

He was much better when his team was much worse though. He was much better when the team was much better as well....just pointing out that pinning it on the crappiness of the organization probably isn't a good reason.

#27 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Personally I think it's because the capitals have changed their style in the past couple years. They used to just try to score as many goals as possible and win high scoring games. but now they're trying to shut down other teams when theyre up and trying to win games that are close and low scoring. Their old style just complimented Ovis playing style perfectly. And as mentioned before, the league has adapted for sure. Ovi just needs to change and adapt to the way things are now.. In no way is he past his prime whatsoever.

Edited by amato, 22 February 2012 - 11:14 AM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."