• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mmorland

Best Deadline Deal for the Red Wings: 2000-2009

Rate this topic

At this time of year, there's always a lot of speculation about who the Red Wings may trade, or trade for.

I have complied a list of the Red Wings deadline deals of the last decade; which one do you think was the best move from 2000-2009? I think the most popular pick is Stuart, but I'm curious to see what other people's opinions are on these other deals.

2000-01:

No Trades.

2001-02:

Trade: Jiri Slegr acquired from Atlanta for Yuri Butsayev and a 2002 3rd round draft pick (Jeff Genovy).

2002-03:

Trade: Mathieu Schneider acquired from Los Angeles Kings for Sean Avery, Maxim Kuznetsov, a 2003 1st round pick (Jeff Tambellini) and a 2004 2nd round draft pick (Martins Karsums).

2003-04:

Trade: Robert Lang acquired from Washington Capitals for Tomas Fleischmann, a 2004 or 2005 1st round draft pick (Washington used it in 2004 - Mike Green), 2006 4th round draft pick (Luke Lynes).

2005-06:

Trade: 2006 6th round draft pick (Nick Oslund) acquired from Phoenix for Jamie Rivers.

Trade: Cory Cross acquired from Pittsburgh for a 2007 4th round draft pick (Alex Grant).

2006-07:

Trade: Kyle Calder acquired from Chicago in a three team deal for Jason Williams.

Trade: Todd Bertuzzi acquired from Florida for Shawn Matthias, a 2007 conditional draft pick (Nick Spaling) and a 2008 conditional draft pick (never exercised since Bertuzzi didn't re-signing with the Wings that offseason).

2007-08:

Trade: Brad Stuart acquired from Los Angeles Kings for a 2008 2nd round draft pick (Peter Delmas) and a 2009 4th round draft pick (Ben Chiarot).

2008-09:

Trades: None

Edited by mmorland

Franzen coming back from being injured :ph34r:

Stuart was the one with the most payoff, obviously. Schneider was a great deal though as well, I loved watching him here.

The Lang, Calder, and Bertuzzi deals were really exciting, to me at least. I'd consider the Calder deal better if it had gotten rid of Williams forever, but Holland had to go and bring him back.

Jiri Slegr was quite the lucky guy, going from the awful Thrashers to playing one playoff game and winning the Stanley Cup. I just remember when we were approaching that deadline there was lots of talk about Kasparaitis, only to have him go to the Avalanche. That was a huge bummer to me at the time.

Stuart for sure because we got the results we wanted with him. But, the Schneider deal was great IMO. Even though we never won a cup with him, he played really well for us. If it wasn't for the broken wrist against the Ducks in 07, the Wings would have won the Cup IMO.

I would have to agree with the majority on this one; Brad Stuart! Matthew Schneider was a big part too though. He was a pretty clutch guy in my opinion. Always liked him.

But I will tell you the worst... Kyle Calder, that guy was just plain awful when he came here, but then again I didn't lose any sleep over trading Jason Williams either.

***Side note*** For those of you upset about giving up a 1st rounder for Quincey look at the list of trades in the OP and notice that all the draft picks we gave up never really turned into anything special; The only one that is somewhat decent is Tomas Fleischmann.

I would have to agree with the majority on this one; Brad Stuart! Matthew Schneider was a big part too though. He was a pretty clutch guy in my opinion. Always liked him.

But I will tell you the worst... Kyle Calder, that guy was just plain awful when he came here, but then again I didn't lose any sleep over trading Jason Williams either.

***Side note*** For those of you upset about giving up a 1st rounder for Quincey look at the list of trades in the OP and notice that all the draft picks we gave up never really turned into anything special; The only one that is somewhat decent is Tomas Fleischmann.

Maybe we would have made better picks in that situation.

Mike green turned out to be a pretty good forward lol.

Guest Crymson

Calder was great during the regular season. He was very important in helping the Wings to 1st seed in the west.

Mike green turned out to be a pretty good forward lol.

He meant prospects, not draft picks. As for Green, it was only happenstance that the Capitals happened to use the traded-for pick on him.

Edited by Crymson

Guest irishock

Typical Kenny, he makes trades sound so easy. Edited by irishock

Nothing got me more excited than Robert Lang, and he was a legend for the duration of his stint with the Wings. Grabbing the NHL leading point getter at the time, then he gets 4 points in his first game?! Bob rules them all.

I vote Lang. I know looking back now we gave up a lot, but I think Lang did a lot to help the team in the 2007 playoffs, which lead to the 2008 Cup.

Lang was the worst trade by far! Fleischman is at least as good as Lang ever was, and green would be a top 3-4 on the wings today. (I understand that there is no guarantee that the wings would have picked green)