• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Kyle Quincey traded to Detroit in 3 team trade (TBL & COL)

Rate this topic

I would trade Thomas McCollum and/or Landon Ferraro for Kyle Quincey in a heartbeat.I don't think Kindl will be moved as the team can carry eight defencemen because of the injured forwards. I'm quite sure Holland has no problem in re-signing Quincey so this trade is also about getting ready for the departures of Lidström and Stuart. They might return for next season but will probably be gone in few years anyhow. Wings have now five good young defencemen in White, Quincey, Ericsson, Kindl and Smith.

I would have made those moves as well, but they didn't move them... they moved the pick. I am okay with this as well... I just know we could have gotten anything for this pick. Emmerton, Jurcco, McCollum... There is a ton of question marks.

And we even tried trading him and no one wanted him. He had one average playoffs and then with his poor attitude and play he played himself out of Detroit.

It is true he wasn't playing very well at the time... I think it is clear why... He had a great 13 game streak as a black ace where he was playing as a regular in the playoffs on a team that was competing for a cup. Then he gets put behind Meech and shipped down. Going into the preseason, all the chatter was that he was the 8th guy in line, and was likely to be traded or waived. That would screw with anyone's mindset.

I don't blame him for faulting there, but if anyone thinks he was playing bad before that point they don't remember correctly.

He wasn't traded, because no one is that dumb to trade for someone who is already marked to be released. You can get him for free if you just wait.

Here is what really doesn't make sense. The wings gave up a pick AND Sebadtian Piche. The lightning were giving up Steve downie essentially for those 2 assets. I don't pay much attention to Tampa but he is pretty good right? So what gives?

I AM GOING TO SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME!!!!

PICHE IS A THROW AWAY! There is this thing called the 50 CONTRACT CAP!!! You are only allowed to have 50 players signed to professional contracts of any shape or form. The Wing were already at 50. THIS MEANS ANY DEAL WE MAKE MUST HAVE A PROFESSIONAL PLAYER MOVED IN ORDER TO GET UNDER THE CONTRACT CAP!

I like this trade on a few levels; He's an upgrade in the 5-6 pairing. He can eat minutes. He definitely upgrades the depth the Wings will need in the war that will be the Western Conference playoffs. He's a RFA not a rental. It's barely a dent in the Red Wings cap space. It also shows the Wings are thinking "Death or Glory."A smart reasoned trade I think. After a possible President's trophy where would that #1 pick be exactly?

Teams picks are now based on regular season record and then re-sorted by it round by round of progressing through the playoffs. Example: 16 teams make the playoffs and 8 teams will lose in the first round... that means if the Wings lose in round one our draft pick would be... 14+8= pick number 22. They lose in the second round it would be 26. third round 28. lose in finals, 29th. Only way the pick is 30th is if they win the cup. Holland's rule, as he proposed it and it was ratified by the league. I think it is a good rule.

Yet being the operable word... I still have a bad feeling we are going to move Tatar for someone who is on our team for three years and Tatar becomes a super star. I have nightmares.

Pulkkinen, Jurco, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Nyqvist...we could lose Tatar and not look back, especially if it brought us a top winger in return... I understand your nightmare, but I think we'd be okay in the long run anyhow...even without Tatar.

The more I think about it the more I think Stuart is likely gone:

Brian Hedger @BrianHedger Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Spoke with #Redwings GM Ken Holland when he got here to the UC. Emphasized Quincey is "not a rental player" etc.

And for all the people saying Stuart could get dealt at the deadline he will not be dealt. That would be a step backwards and would make the D weaker, Kenny is gearing up and thinking about the future at the same time. Quincey is likely Stuarts replacement for next season and lets not forget that Kenny could trade Stuarts rights at the draft for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Edited by redwingfan19

I'm good with this deal. My bet based on everything I have personally seen of Piche is he will probably never set foot on an NHL sheet of ice. As for the 1st round pick, given its going to be a late first rounder, is a crap shoot. I really don't think we're losing much at all, and in return we get a guy who will most likely be the replacement for Brad Stuart next year... what is the problem here?

Hmm... Yeah I'm just a little concerned about the price. Of course, not Piche but rather the first round pick. Yeah he wasn't going to play for the Wings for five years but still. Just a little concerned though. I mean, the market these days seems to require overpayment.

I'm good with this deal. My bet based on everything I have personally seen of Piche is he will probably never set foot on an NHL sheet of ice. As for the 1st round pick, given its going to be a late first rounder, is a crap shoot. I really don't think we're losing much at all, and in return we get a guy who will most likely be the replacement for Brad Stuart next year... what is the problem here?

It was never really in doubt that Piche would never make it to the NHL.

obviously point production is only half the story for a defenseman, but Quincey has real close to the same point production as Ian White, averaged about the same amount of ice time, but has a worse plus/minus (on a much s***tier team). So I guess I'd have to wonder whether or not anybody here would be bitching if we gave a first rounder for Ian White given how well he's played? I like this Quincey thing, but I agree, I don't think we're done.

Holland on now talking about Quincey.

nice little interview. and after also reading what majsheppard wrote in the "nhl trading rules" thread, it makes alot more sense.

remember all, "In Kenny we trust"

I like it but the price was way too much.

Im assuming a deal is in the works, kindl or commodore might be going. Otherwise we have 8 dmen

it's gotta be kindl, commodore wouldn't get us anything.

I've been interested in seeing kindl develop for a long time now but was unimpressed when he said he'd have to play "big" and "mean" in order to stay in the lineup and did neither.

his combination of size and youth will draw some interest, and hopefully we can get a big, mean winger out of it.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I view Quincey as Kindl's replacement and Suter as Stuart's replacement for next season. I think Kindl and a 2nd will be the price Kenny pays for the forward he needs at the deadline.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

I'm okay with this deal. Ignore that he is a former Wings cast off and look at the fact that they got a legit top 4 D-man to jump right in and play along side dips***.

Detroit is close right now and I have no issues sending off a late first for someone who can come in RIGHT NOW and make an impact.

I love how everyone praises Holland for his success building Cup winning teams but everyone is ready to throw him under the bus every time he makes a deal for someone who isn't Parise or Doughty.

Here's what Quincey says:

"Going to a great team that has a chance to win a Cup... That's your dream as a little kid growing up. Just looking forward to it... By far that's the biggest plus coming to Detroit, winning... I can't explain how excited I am to be part of that playoff push and be on the ice and matter... Tomorrow's going to be very slow. I just can't wait to get back in Detroit, in the lineup and wearing red and white... Detroit is like a family. That's huge. That's a reason they win... I always wanted to play for Detroit, a team that drafted me and now I get that chance... When they [Red Wings] have good people, they hold onto them, which makes sense... I played with Johnny (Ericsson) in the minors. If that's where I start, that's fine with me." Only current Red Wings he's never played on a team with are Drew Miller and Mike Commodore.

Edited by Tim.D

Excellent trade. Quincy is great puck mOving defensman. Our first rd pick is gonna be what the last in the first anyways and in our system our first rounders don't play at the NHL level for five years. I think holland is Preparing for Stuarts departure next season. Now go out and get suter.

FWIW, here are picks 29 and 30 from 2002 to 2006:

Chris Summers

Matt Corrente

Steve Downie

Vladimir Mihalik

Mike Green

Andy Rogers

Patrick Eaves

Shawn Belle

Hannu Toivonen

Jim Slater

Adam Munro

Dave Steckel

Some decent names in there, but also a lot of total no-names. Kyle Quincey would probably be 3rd or 4th among this list? That alone makes this trade worth it, IMO. Not to mention all the ancillary reasons mentioned thus far.

I do like adding Quincey to the defense but also cannot ignore the overpayment. Maybe the market is just tighter this year, but if we got Brad Stuart for a 2nd and 4th round pick then a 1st for Quincey seems like a lot. I suppose Holland just got away with highway robbery on the Brad Stuart deal...

I have a sneaking suspicion we might move Brad Stuart. He's been great, but he's an unrestricted free agent after this year and I've heard his wife has basically told him he has to sign with a West Coast team. Might as well get something for his value before we lose him. Perhaps Stuart and someone else in a deal for Selanne?

I have a sneaking suspicion we might move Brad Stuart. He's been great, but he's an unrestricted free agent after this year and I've heard his wife has basically told him he has to sign with a West Coast team. Might as well get something for his value before we lose him. Perhaps Stuart and someone else in a deal for Selanne?

He is too valuable for the playoffs. His rights will likely be traded after the season.

If Selanne is traded, it will only be at his request to the team he chooses. The Ducks will still benefit, but he will likely be traded at below market value.

I think he and we want the cup too badly for that.

I've asked this twice and everyone is ignoring the question! Can someone answer this? I've seen on youtube he plays left mostly from the highlights I've seen.

Shoots left and can line up on either side.