Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Kyle Quincey traded to Detroit in 3 team trade (TBL & COL)

• Please log in to reply
319 replies to this topic

#141 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

giving him away for nothing was the stupidest move ever....

What do you think we could have gotten for him? A sixth-round pick, perhaps? It's not like anyone knew that he'd develop into an effective defenseman.

#142 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Sebastian Piche also headed to Tampa.

That was just to get us under the fifty man contract cap.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#143 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Prior to it everyone complained that that was one, if not THE, gaff of Holland's career. Now that he's back, he cost us too much. Make up your damn mind already.

If waiving an unremarkable defenseman who turned out to be a serviceable defenseman is THE gaffe of Holland's career, then he's done so brilliantly that nobody should be complaining.

#144 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

You can't see how both of those are still valid?

I don't know that I would even say he was THE gaffe. But clearly they were off in their evaluation of their young defenseman at that point. But that's not to say I thought Quincey was some absolute awesome defenseman the Wings had to get back.

Like I said, I'm just meh. He's an upgrade over Kindl for sure. Can kill penalties. Plays on the PP. The move definitely improved our defense.

I do, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#145 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Kyle Quincey IS our deadline acquisition.

better than it being our powerplay...oh wait thats our enforcer....

better than it being an injured player coming back into the line up!! ;)

#146 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

In short, its very easy to make a decision in hindsight. Everyone complaining about this trade is doing just that.

Precisely. But if there's anything we've learned about Wings fans on this board, it's that many of them expect perfection where management is concerned. And that's because Holland and Co. are so excellent at their jobs that very few remember a time when the Wings made stupid personnel decisions.

#147 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

+1! Listen guys, Piche' was never gonna make it here, Holland usually trades away his 1st rounders at the draft anyhow for more low rounders. The draft is a crap shoot and he prefers to draft lower to let the draft picks simmer in their Junior clubs and GRR until they are nice and ripe and ready for the NHL. How often does Holland draft NHL ready players? Exactly... This is a good move. Quincey is better than Kindl. Throws his body around more than Ericsson.

no one cares about piche , he was a throw in so the redwings could get under the 50 contracts max were allowed to have

Cant dismiss the classic holland trades away 1st round pick for 2 later picks , its done us well ... anyways im not against quincey coming back i just dont think hes worth a 1st round pick ... no way in hell , i do think this spells the end of kindl in detroit though

we'll see what happens with quincey

#148 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

So Holland decided to bring back the guy Ericsson was supposed to replace.

I don't mind having him back, however, I'm timid about giving up a 1st round pick. I figured we'd keep that pick for our big fish at the deadline.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#149 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

whenever i think of quincey i remember the def leppard incident, when they put the cup upside down.

and when asked about the lead singer, chelios said:

"And you know, Quincey (Kyle Quincey) was the only one that said he would have done something to him."

welcome back, kyle.
Posted Image

#150 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

For reference: the Wings will have a plethora of cap space available at the deadline. They would just need to move contracts.

#151 brennan17

brennan17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

now kindl and some prospects for a forward plz?

#152 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

I meant for this season. How much room do we have now if we were to try and get someone else before the deadline

meant for this year , we had like 5 million cap space which translate to about 20 million since more than half the season has been played , we could add rick nash say , if we wanted ( not saying we should )

#153 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

now kindl and some prospects for a forward plz?

this would be great, but for whom? we already have enough pluggers and 3rd and 4th line guys (dont forget Eaves coming back) im all for the big trade as much as the next guy but thats just not Holland's MO.

#154 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

meant for this year , we had like 5 million cap space which translate to about 20 million since more than half the season has been played , we could add rick nash say , if we wanted ( not saying we should )

Here's some numbers for everybody now: The Wings will have about $22 million in cap space at the deadline, which would mean they would be able to acquire Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin at the deadline and still have cap space to spare.

#155 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I don't think he was an essential piece. Plus he wanted a change of scenery. I'm thinking of the potential backlash from some Tampa fans, if they find out that Yzerman basically went out of his way, lost a player for a pick and an average prospect, just to help his old team. I get what you mean though, but I think he got exactly what he wanted out of it, and a little more by being smart and acting as a go-between.

From the looks of it, you've referenced his height and weight roughly 100 times in this thread. It's irrelevant. Chara is tall, heavy, strong, and a great player. Martin St. Louis is about 4 foot tall, 90 pounds soaking wet, and a great player. You've glossed over the entire counter argument presented to you that Quincey wasn't playing well enough to keep a place over Meech. You've mentioned that he was -12 but have made absolutely no effort to argue why Quincey was so much better. That's like me saying "Coke is great because Pepsi sucks"... when in fact they could both suck, just one a bit more than the other. From a management point of view you don't waive the better player when there is a risk either could be claimed. You attempt to waive the worse player and hope for the best. Hindsight is 20/20. But he's back. So get over it.

just saying how i felt at that time , it has nothing to do with what's happened during the years , i didnt think we had many big bodies out there and id much rather of waived meech than quincey at the time for that reason

He was also 22 years old , not saying he was as good as brendan smith at the time but look at smith now in grand rapids and hes 23 , just think we shouldnt of given him up at the time

anyways whats done is done

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 21 February 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#156 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

I guess I don't really like or dislike this trade. It's just kinda meh. At first glance, I thought the first round pick was definitely way too steep for Quincey, but after reading through the comments, others have made strong points here about the pick being quite low anyways.

I do agree this seems to a be pre-cursor to another move at the deadline, likely involving Kindl. His play hasn't been too sharp for awhile now so the reasonable explanation would be the Red Wings keep dressing him to showcase him for a trade. I still hope the Red Wings can swing a deal for a Moen/Gaustad type player to help improve the PK. The price and availability for a top-six forward seems completely unlikely for Holland to pull the trigger at this point.

I think the worst part part of the trade for me is this signals Stuart is almost assuredly leaving this summer. Quincey is a decent enough d-man, but he isn't Brad Stuart. I really don't think Quincey even brings similar attributes to the team, so the speculation he's going to fill Stuart's role puzzles me a bit. Ericsson plays more like Stuart than Quincey does.

Depth on defense is never a bad thing to have. I trust Ken Holland to have made the right decision in a move like this. Just hope this isn't the one and only deal he makes in the next six days.

he isn't as good of a hitter or shot blocker but a way better offensive dman, and still has potential. Nto sure where you are coming with him being a downgrade from stuart. Quincey has only 1 pt less than kronwall in 7 less games.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#157 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

If waiving an unremarkable defenseman who turned out to be a serviceable defenseman is THE gaffe of Holland's career, then he's done so brilliantly that nobody should be complaining.

My point exactly. I don't have much of an opinion on the matter, but there has been some massive complaining over the years since we lost him and he turned out to be better than Meech.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#158 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

gaustad or moen now, please.
Posted Image

#159 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think people are making too big of a deal out of this.

This is a decent move, especially short term. Also seems to me like Holland has a bit more up his sleeve and this is obviously part of a bigger plan.

Watch Kenny go out and move Ericsson for a top 10. :lol:
Posted Image

#160 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Precisely. But if there's anything we've learned about Wings fans on this board, it's that many of them expect perfection where management is concerned. And that's because Holland and Co. are so excellent at their jobs that very few remember a time when the Wings made stupid personnel decisions.

Aren't you a guy who started a thread last year to make fun of Quincey's poor season?

Now you seem to be admitting that Holland made a mistake.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.