67 replies to this topic

#61 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Since 2006:

Cleary: 116 goals, 133 assists, 397 games played, 2.8 million salary.

Jordan Staal: 114 goals, 111 assists, 409 games played, 4 million dollars salary.

My point? Quite bitching.

Edited by kipwinger, 24 February 2012 - 01:44 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#62 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

No s***, A LOT of players cycle the puck down low and then kick it back to the defensemen. That's why our defensemen lead the league in scoring. Unless you're going to suggest that none of Cleary's 15 assists came from this play that you say he "always does". Apparently Cleary is to you, what a red cloth is to a bull. Your animalistic and reactionary hatred is only slightly less comprehensible than my willingness to stand in a ring and go round for round with you.

p.s. I know the bull thing is Spanish. I was going to try an Aussie thing for you, but I didn't know if Wallabies had any sort of instinctive and unexplainable hatred for things in the same way that bulls, and indeed you too, have.

Firstly, why do you think I hate Cleary?? Sure, he's not one of my favourite Wings, but I like him, I certainly don't hate him. :lol: So anytime anyone criticise a player it means they hate them??

Secondly, I get a lot of players cycle the puck back to the defenseman, my man Filppula does it a heck of a lot, but unlike Cleary, his passes make it back. Often Cleary’s passes will be easily intercepted and the opposition will start a rush the other way. I’m not repeating that again, so if you fail to understand it this time, bad luck.

Since 2006:

Cleary: 116 goals, 133 assists, 397 games played, 2.8 million salary.

Jordan Staal: 114 goals, 111 assists, 409 games played, 4 million dollars salary.

My point? Quite bitching.

C'mon mate, you're better than this. You know full well (I hope...) Staal hasn't been on 4 mil that entire time, so your point is irrelevant. 2009/10 was the first year his salary was 4 million, in the three seasons before hand it was almost half.

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 24 February 2012 - 07:41 PM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#63 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Firstly, why do you think I hate Cleary?? Sure, he's not one of my favourite Wings, but I like him, I certainly don't hate him. :lol: So anytime anyone criticise a player it means they hate them??

Secondly, I get a lot of players cycle the puck back to the defenseman, my man Filppula does it a heck of a lot, but unlike Cleary, his passes make it back. Often Clearys passes will be easily intercepted and the opposition will start a rush the other way. Im not repeating that again, so if you fail to understand it this time, bad luck.

Yep, and it somehow makes you "not a real fan" or if you don't like any and all players who ever wore the Wheel then "you should go root for (insert any other team)"

Trust me, I know about this! :lol:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#64 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Secondly, I get a lot of players cycle the puck back to the defenseman, my man Filppula does it a heck of a lot, but unlike Cleary, his passes make it back. Often Cleary's passes will be easily intercepted and the opposition will start a rush the other way. I'm not repeating that again, so if you fail to understand it this time, bad luck.

C'mon mate, you're better than this. You know full well (I hope...) Staal hasn't been on 4 mil that entire time, so your point is irrelevant. 2009/10 was the first year his salary was 4 million, in the three seasons before hand it was almost half.

Ground breaking point you've just made. Do you suppose Clearly wasn't making as much back in 2006 as he is now too? In 2006 Staal made 2.2 million after all of his bonuses. Without all of his bonuses he made 850,000 dollars. How much did Cleary make in 2006? 650,000 dollars before bonuses, and 650,000 dollars after bonuses. So unless you want to quibble about 200,000 dollars (in favor of my point I might add) I would expect you to either admit that Cleary is good value for money, or to level the same criticisms against guys like Staal as you do about Cleary. If you're not willing to do that, then I'd say that you've just got it out for Cleary. And you know what's funny, all this because I said he had one good game. Weak.

Here's the salary numbers.
http://capgeek.com/p...play.php?id=288
http://capgeek.com/p...play.php?id=477

Edited by kipwinger, 24 February 2012 - 10:01 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#65 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

Ground breaking point you've just made. Do you suppose Clearly wasn't making as much back in 2006 as he is now too? In 2006 Staal made 2.2 million after all of his bonuses. Without all of his bonuses he made 850,000 dollars. How much did Cleary make in 2006? 650,000 dollars before bonuses, and 650,000 dollars after bonuses. So unless you want to quibble about 200,000 dollars (in favor of my point I might add) I would expect you to either admit that Cleary is good value for money, or to level the same criticisms against guys like Staal as you do about Cleary. If you're not willing to do that, then I'd say that you've just got it out for Cleary. And you know what's funny, all this because I said he had one good game. Weak.

How does another player playing equally as bad make Cleary's play any better? Seriously? I don't give a crap about points, what has he done this entire year? What did he do towards the end of last season? Stop looking with tunnel vision.

#66 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

And you know what's really funny, all this because I said I disagreed. Weak too I guess...?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#67 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

How does another player playing equally as bad make Cleary's play any better? Seriously? I don't give a crap about points, what has he done this entire year? What did he do towards the end of last season? Stop looking with tunnel vision.

Hahaha wait, are you suggesting both Cleary and Staal are bad now? Also, good call on the points thing, they don't matter at all. Points, both past and projected are what a player's contract is based on, which in turn is what we've been debating here, money for value.

"So what if he's played extremely well for the very little money we've payed him. What's he done for me lately?" Considering every player on our team, except Filppula, is below their career highs who couldn't you say this about (by the way Cleary had is best career season last year)? Are you ready to trade 3/4 of the team because they're not performing like they did in the past or do you suppose we should stick to this whole loyalty thing that's been working for us for so many years?

Edited by kipwinger, 25 February 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#68 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

And you know what's really funny, all this because I said I disagreed. Weak too I guess...?

I'm confused now, are both Cleary and Staal ineffective third liners who make too much money, or do you single Cleary out based on nothing like factual knowledge or context? You keep disagreeing about him but I have yet to see you back up anything you say with any sort of evidence except the extremely anecdotal "whenever I watch him, he always does this one thing I don't like".