• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Crashnburnluder

Bertuzzi Contract Extension

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/article/20120222/SPORTS05/120222018

Originally Posted by

The Detroit Red Wings will announce a two-year extension for forward Todd Bertuzzi as early as Thursday,

Bertuzzi's agent, Pat Morris, told the Free Press today that "we're working at it, and getting closer." The sides have been talking for the past month.

Bertuzzi, 37, is in the last of a two-year deal that's averaged $1,937,500. His new deal is for closer to $2.2 million a season, and is backloaded.

General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press last month that "I think Bert's been great all season." The Wings like how Bertuzzi has developed into a two-way player, and how he helped get the first line going after being put with Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen on Nov. 17, in the game against Los Angeles. Bertuzzi has 12 goals and is plus-21 in 54 games this season.

The Wings first acquired Bertuzzi in March of '07 at the trade deadline. He signed with Anaheim that summer after becoming an unrestricted free agent, but came back to Detroit two years later. The Wings like the size he brings (6-foot3, 200-plus pounds) and that he's accepted being a net-front guy and integrating defensive hockey into his game.

"He's embraced everything we're about," Holland said.

Edit: Bad link fixed

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Has always been a great teammate and it will be nice to have him around for a couple of more, he's in good shape and his back issues appear to be behind him. The only issue I have with him is that if he isn't playing with Pav he doesn't seem to do much. It would be nice to see him find some good chemistry with someone else also.

While I agree that he deserves a raise, he is 37 years old and his production will start to go down. I would have preferred to see his salary remain the same just due to the wear and tear of father time. I like Bertuzzi though. Get it done Kenny. :)

I like Bert and what he's brought but don't know if he has that much more gas in the tank. Heavily loaded in the back meaning there is a possibility he might play only 1 more year and then retire?

This isn't our trade deadline acquisition, is it :lol:

Edited by RedWingsRox

I like Bert and what he's brought but don't know if he has that much more gas in the tank. Heavily loaded in the back meaning there is a possibility he might play only 1 more year and then retire?

This isn't our trade deadline acquisition, is it :lol:

He'll still hit our cap even if he retires.

I'm good with the signing though.

Has always been a great teammate and it will be nice to have him around for a couple of more, he's in good shape and his back issues appear to be behind him. The only issue I have with him is that if he isn't playing with Pav he doesn't seem to do much. It would be nice to see him find some good chemistry with someone else also.

Good one! :lol::thumbup:

I am glad that Bert is re-signing, but I wonder if he would have accepted a one year deal.

Edited by MidMichSteve

IMO, I would have rather seen a 1 yr extention. I like Bert as well, but he seems to be slowing down. 2 yrs from now he will be almost 40. And for a big man, father time hits those guys a little harder then lets say a Nick. After the 1 yr, I am hoping of bringing up a couple more of our prospects.

Go Wings!!

jesus ... loved everything bertuzzi has done this year .... EVERYTHING , but did we really need to do this ??? he's 37 , did we need to lock him up till 39? we got nyquist ,tatar coming up

We also have mursak and emmerton fighting for ice time , possible ( well im hoping anyways) acquisition of someone like parise in the off season ... maybe with a 1 year extention id be ok but not 2 years ... again nothing against bertuzzi's play

Bert has consistently been a guy that gets 40+ points a season and is reliable in the shootout; every team needs a few Berts to survive. I think one year may have been more appropriate, but if management is confident in his ability to keep playing that long than so am I.

Like everyone else I am surprised at a 2 year backloaded contract, but he has been solid for us and deserves another contract.

Helm and Abdelkader to sign up next, then see what happens with Hudler - if we re-sign him, then I guess we are out of the Parise sweepstakes.