• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Crashnburnluder

Bertuzzi Contract Extension

Rate this topic

TWO YEARS? WITH A RAISE?

You have to be ******* kidding me. He has THIRTY GOD DAMN POINTS and plays with DATSYUK.

This sucks.

should have been one year.

Should have been zero. Being here this season isn't horrible, but how long is he going to waste a top 6 spot? We have to be able to find better players.

Anyway, go ahead everyone, neg me down.

Edited by Z and D for the C

TWO YEARS? WITH A RAISE?

You have to be ******* kidding me. He has THIRTY GOD DAMN POINTS and plays with DATSYUK.

This sucks.

There's more to hockey than just production, but hey who would know that? Not everyone's goal on the ice is to SCORE SCORE SCORE. There IS such a thing as roles in hockey.

There's more to hockey than just production, but hey who would know that? Not everyone's goal on the ice is to SCORE SCORE SCORE. There IS such a thing as roles in hockey.

I understand, but if you're playing in the top 6, then it is. I don't hate Bertuzzi, I hate the opportunity lost.

I mean, we could put him on the third line to free up a spot for a good forward. Okay, but he's barely getting .5 PPG playing with the best player in the world, what is he going to do in the bottom 6?

I understand, but if you're playing in the top 6, then it is. I don't hate Bertuzzi, I hate the opportunity lost.

Not all top 6 forwards strive only to score goals, Bert acknowledged that his new role was to piss off people and be the front net presence. He's been excelling at this, so we can't sit there and ***** about it. If it's winning games, it's working, therefore, who cares what his point numbers are. If he can sit there and create space on top of Pasha creating space, this maximizes the chances for Mule. First line is constructed on two "Power forwards" and a play maker. Mule is considered more a power forward than sniper, but obviously we know he has a beautiful shot when used.

If it's winning games, it's working

We've lost in the second round twice in a row. It's not working. Bert does marginally well when playing with better forwards (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula), but who wouldn't? The problem is this extension prevents upgrades from being made. That is my point.

Good for him, glad to see him around for another 2 years.

Bert is one of the last of a dying breed: a power forward with great hands and a ton of experience. He's proven himself to the organization in adapting to the Wings style of play and this is his payback from the organization.

I'm not really shocked to hear a lot of "he plays with Datsyuk so he's lucky" which is fair, but in no way should this be considered a one-way benefit for Bert. Having a big body with great hands like Bert's makes Pav's job that much easier and allows him to have extra time and Bert has made some great passes to set up Pav as well. Bert has also netted 3 winning shootout goals this season, which require no help from Pav.

Best case scenario; Wings just signed a 30-40pt top 6 player for less than 3 million a year for 2 years.

Worst case scenario; Wings just signed a 3rd/4th line veteran for less than 3 million who is a bargin to other teams looking for depth or a body to fill a roster should the Wings be looking to get rid of him.

The problem is this extension prevents upgrades from being made. That is my point.

It didn't prevent the Wings from acquiring Quincey, who is certainly an upgrade. I realize it's a defensive upgrade, but who's to say Kenny doesn't trim from the back end salary in order to compensate for this new deal? Or package an RFA in a deal for a higher end scorer? Besides, we're not talking millions of dollars difference, we're talking a few hundred thousand.

The problem is this extension prevents upgrades from being made. That is my point.

Well, Homer is probably going to retire next season. Who knows what will happen with Hudler, or Eaves for that matter. So there are some forward spots opening up. And if they went out and got someone like Parise and needed to bump someone out of the top six I don't think there'd be any trouble with that guy being Bert, who has already spent part of this season in the bottom six. And you never know, in eras long past the Wings had so many good forwards they were able to put together three quality scoring lines.

Well, Homer is probably going to retire next season. Who knows what will happen with Hudler, or Eaves for that matter. So there are some forward spots opening up. And if they went out and got someone like Parise and needed to bump someone out of the top six I don't think there'd be any trouble with that guy being Bert, who has already spent part of this season in the bottom six. And you never know, in eras long past the Wings had so many good forwards they were able to put together three quality scoring lines.

I agree. Bert is very versatile. He can play on the to line our be moved down to the third line if top 6 room is needed.

Overall I like the deal. I would have preferred one year, but I like him on the team for next season. If he can stay healthy, this is a good move.

It didn't prevent the Wings from acquiring Quincey, who is certainly an upgrade. I realize it's a defensive upgrade, but who's to say Kenny doesn't trim from the back end salary in order to compensate for this new deal? Or package an RFA in a deal for a higher end scorer? Besides, we're not talking millions of dollars difference, we're talking a few hundred thousand.

Yes, obviously I'm talking about top 6 upgrades. And while the raise is in fact ridiculous, I'm not so much worried about cap space as I am about the roster spot.

Forward spots? Sure. Not any in the top 6. And yeah, Bertuzzi started the season on the third line. How many points did he score? 3. In 14ish games. That's not quality scoring. He produces average numbers at best when playing with Datsyuk. He's completely useless outside the top 6. And as for intangibles, we have better players for that too.

I agree. Bert is very versatile. He can play on the to line our be moved down to the third line if top 6 room is needed.

He can? What does "can" mean? He can like, it's physically possible? See above.

Yes, obviously I'm talking about top 6 upgrades. And while the raise is in fact ridiculous, I'm not so much worried about cap space as I am about the roster spot.

Forward spots? Sure. Not any in the top 6. And yeah, Bertuzzi started the season on the third line. How many points did he score? 3. In 14ish games. That's not quality scoring. He produces average numbers at best when playing with Datsyuk. He's completely useless outside the top 6. And as for intangibles, we have better players for that too.

He can? What does "can" mean? He can like, it's physically possible? See above.

A third line of Bert, Abby, and Helm would be fine. If Huds isn't signed, there will be at least one open spot in the top six. Further, it is unlikely that any rookie is handed a top six position. We all would like another top six forward, but so does every other team in the league. The free agents this summer may be overpriced too. There is also the looming issue of possible cap change in the next CBA.

Bert is also one of the Wings few big forwards.

The team cannot assume a top six forward will be signed. If someone is signed, they will deal with the roster then. IMO assuming a top player will be signed would be a terrible team management move.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

And consider if the Wings retained Hudler and then managed to grab another top-six forward type. You could end up assembling something like this:

Franzen-Datsyuk-New Guy

Cleary-Zetterberg-Hudler

Bert-Flip-Miller/or whoever

And you can mix and match wingers to find something else you might like, but that's some pretty good firepower in three lines. I realize this shafts Flip a little ZDC so you must hate it. :P

You are so right there is more than hockey than production. Like defense, which he doesn't play.

He actually is a much worse player than his offensive numbers let on. I am not a fan of Bertuzzi in any way shape or form. I don't mind him as a depth player... but when you already see us in a number crunch of how many people we can have on our team. I don't like him being the first one added.

I want to say many have cited how he plays with Pavel and they expect more of him. Some have said it is unfair.

I would like to go the opposite direction... Instead of saying how much more production you expect out of Bert when playing with Pavel, what about saying how much more production Pavel could get with a better finisher. Pavel is a player who makes people better by giving space on the ice and making strong passes. Bert is slow and not really a sniper. He can go to the net pretty hard, but slowly.

When there is extra space on the ice, you need someone who can quickly move from gap to gap, or find the soft spot and rip a shot. Need I remind you how Brett and Pav played together???

I think Bert would play much better on a heavy line where the puck is cycled along the boards and players crash the net hard. I always like him and Cleary together and think Helm or abs would be a great third on that line.

Fact is he is an anchor to the top two lines, and is part of the reason IMO that Zetter's production is lacking. Franzen and Bert are too much alike for us to have them both in the top six.

He should be the guy last in line that Holland goes to and say, we will give you a one year for x dollars if you make the team. He shouldn't be taking a roster spot and contract right off the bat. This contract wouldn't bother me as much if it was the last signing of next year's off season and he was a bit cheaper. Not much, but like 200k would have made a bunch of difference in 2013-14. This money should be going to Helm and Abs, not Bert. Holland clearly wants to make him the new Homer.

Holland is pissing me off this month.

Edited by Majsheppard

does anyone know if nyquist can play another year in the ahl without being claimed on waivers ??

With this move i cant see the redwings bringing up nyquist as well as tatar( whos out of waivers options as of next year) unless hudler is not coming back or if nquist is starts in the 4th line which i think would be pointless , he needs top 6 opportunities or its just a waste of time

:lol:

Kidding aside - Bert has been solid this year, and if he can continue this level of play for 2 more seasons - it'll go down as the usual smart move by GM Holland.

Bert has been good this year, he is a role player and plays the role well. I never liked though how much of a role he is given.

Who is to say his role doesn't diminish along with his skills? At this age he should be making less money and getting shorter terms.

does anyone know if nyquist can play another year in the ahl without being claimed on waivers ??

With this move i cant see the redwings bringing up nyquist as well as tatar( whos out of waivers options as of next year) unless hudler is not coming back or if nquist is starts in the 4th line which i think would be pointless , he needs top 6 opportunities or its just a waste of time

Even Pavel and Hank started on the bottom line. That was inevitable.

I think this is more evidence that the brass are giving up on the people who are already there. This doesn't bode well for Mursak and Emmerton, which makes me hate this even more. I think next year is when we should have a minor youth movement. Letting Bert and Homer retire would have been a very good move next year, to allow the youngsters to play and to mitigate it with one big forward signing who is in the 27-33 year old range. Then we have at least two years to determine what we have there before the next wave comes, and comes hard. There could have been some trades then to clear room for the youngsters and bring in what would compliment them while keeping our strong identity in check with many developed players touting the line.

Signing Bert might cause us to lose youth now, and then have a bigger falling off and require more from the next wave. Bad strategy.

good to see bert coming back but i hope kenny frees up some spots next year for the kids like nyquist and tatar.

I doubt Hudler, Cleary, Holmstrom and Stuart will all be here next year. Possibly even Kindl and Emmerton gone this seaosn. We'll have a completely new team next season and Bertuzzi is a great Vet to have with an infusion of young guns next season.