• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Like everyone else I am surprised at a 2 year backloaded contract, but he has been solid for us and deserves another contract.

Helm and Abdelkader to sign up next, then see what happens with Hudler - if we re-sign him, then I guess we are out of the Parise sweepstakes.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

f***kkkkk noooooooo

Unless we move eaves and cleary we cant get suter and parise. Guessing lids is back.

Edited by dirtydangles, 22 February 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#23 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Thought the cap hit might have been a bit lower...

Bert must be in much better shape these days. Good to hear.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#24 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hmm, that math will be a little tricky with my CapGeek roster that already included Suter, Weber, Parise, Nash, Perry and Ryan. Eh, I'll make it fit.
Posted Image

#25 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hmm, that math will be a little tricky with my CapGeek roster that already included Suter, Weber, Parise, Nash, Perry and Ryan. Eh, I'll make it fit.

Did they all fit under the cap in nhl 2012? Can't believe it :P

#26 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

TWO YEARS? WITH A RAISE?

You have to bef****** kidding me. He has THIRTY GOD DAMN POINTS and plays with DATSYUK.

This sucks.

should have been one year.

Should have been zero. Being here this season isn't horrible, but how long is he going to waste a top 6 spot? We have to be able to find better players.

Anyway, go ahead everyone, neg me down.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 22 February 2012 - 12:49 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#27 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

TWO YEARS? WITH A RAISE?

You have to bef****** kidding me. He has THIRTY GOD DAMN POINTS and plays with DATSYUK.

This sucks.

There's more to hockey than just production, but hey who would know that? Not everyone's goal on the ice is to SCORE SCORE SCORE. There IS such a thing as roles in hockey.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#28 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

There's more to hockey than just production, but hey who would know that? Not everyone's goal on the ice is to SCORE SCORE SCORE. There IS such a thing as roles in hockey.

I understand, but if you're playing in the top 6, then it is. I don't hate Bertuzzi, I hate the opportunity lost.

I mean, we could put him on the third line to free up a spot for a good forward. Okay, but he's barely getting .5 PPG playing with the best player in the world, what is he going to do in the bottom 6?

Edited by Z and D for the C, 22 February 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#29 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

I understand, but if you're playing in the top 6, then it is. I don't hate Bertuzzi, I hate the opportunity lost.

Not all top 6 forwards strive only to score goals, Bert acknowledged that his new role was to piss off people and be the front net presence. He's been excelling at this, so we can't sit there and ***** about it. If it's winning games, it's working, therefore, who cares what his point numbers are. If he can sit there and create space on top of Pasha creating space, this maximizes the chances for Mule. First line is constructed on two "Power forwards" and a play maker. Mule is considered more a power forward than sniper, but obviously we know he has a beautiful shot when used.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#30 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

If it's winning games, it's working

We've lost in the second round twice in a row. It's not working. Bert does marginally well when playing with better forwards (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula), but who wouldn't? The problem is this extension prevents upgrades from being made. That is my point.

#31 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Good for him, glad to see him around for another 2 years.

Bert is one of the last of a dying breed: a power forward with great hands and a ton of experience. He's proven himself to the organization in adapting to the Wings style of play and this is his payback from the organization.

I'm not really shocked to hear a lot of "he plays with Datsyuk so he's lucky" which is fair, but in no way should this be considered a one-way benefit for Bert. Having a big body with great hands like Bert's makes Pav's job that much easier and allows him to have extra time and Bert has made some great passes to set up Pav as well. Bert has also netted 3 winning shootout goals this season, which require no help from Pav.

Best case scenario; Wings just signed a 30-40pt top 6 player for less than 3 million a year for 2 years.

Worst case scenario; Wings just signed a 3rd/4th line veteran for less than 3 million who is a bargin to other teams looking for depth or a body to fill a roster should the Wings be looking to get rid of him.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

The problem is this extension prevents upgrades from being made. That is my point.

It didn't prevent the Wings from acquiring Quincey, who is certainly an upgrade. I realize it's a defensive upgrade, but who's to say Kenny doesn't trim from the back end salary in order to compensate for this new deal? Or package an RFA in a deal for a higher end scorer? Besides, we're not talking millions of dollars difference, we're talking a few hundred thousand.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

The problem is this extension prevents upgrades from being made. That is my point.

Well, Homer is probably going to retire next season. Who knows what will happen with Hudler, or Eaves for that matter. So there are some forward spots opening up. And if they went out and got someone like Parise and needed to bump someone out of the top six I don't think there'd be any trouble with that guy being Bert, who has already spent part of this season in the bottom six. And you never know, in eras long past the Wings had so many good forwards they were able to put together three quality scoring lines.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#34 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Dudes, just you guys wait until Hudler re-signs at 10 years, 4M per. :ph34r:
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#35 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Well, Homer is probably going to retire next season. Who knows what will happen with Hudler, or Eaves for that matter. So there are some forward spots opening up. And if they went out and got someone like Parise and needed to bump someone out of the top six I don't think there'd be any trouble with that guy being Bert, who has already spent part of this season in the bottom six. And you never know, in eras long past the Wings had so many good forwards they were able to put together three quality scoring lines.

I agree. Bert is very versatile. He can play on the to line our be moved down to the third line if top 6 room is needed.

Overall I like the deal. I would have preferred one year, but I like him on the team for next season. If he can stay healthy, this is a good move.

#36 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

It didn't prevent the Wings from acquiring Quincey, who is certainly an upgrade. I realize it's a defensive upgrade, but who's to say Kenny doesn't trim from the back end salary in order to compensate for this new deal? Or package an RFA in a deal for a higher end scorer? Besides, we're not talking millions of dollars difference, we're talking a few hundred thousand.

Yes, obviously I'm talking about top 6 upgrades. And while the raise is in fact ridiculous, I'm not so much worried about cap space as I am about the roster spot.

Forward spots? Sure. Not any in the top 6. And yeah, Bertuzzi started the season on the third line. How many points did he score? 3. In 14ish games. That's not quality scoring. He produces average numbers at best when playing with Datsyuk. He's completely useless outside the top 6. And as for intangibles, we have better players for that too.

I agree. Bert is very versatile. He can play on the to line our be moved down to the third line if top 6 room is needed.

He can? What does "can" mean? He can like, it's physically possible? See above.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 22 February 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#37 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yes, obviously I'm talking about top 6 upgrades. And while the raise is in fact ridiculous, I'm not so much worried about cap space as I am about the roster spot.

Forward spots? Sure. Not any in the top 6. And yeah, Bertuzzi started the season on the third line. How many points did he score? 3. In 14ish games. That's not quality scoring. He produces average numbers at best when playing with Datsyuk. He's completely useless outside the top 6. And as for intangibles, we have better players for that too.

He can? What does "can" mean? He can like, it's physically possible? See above.

A third line of Bert, Abby, and Helm would be fine. If Huds isn't signed, there will be at least one open spot in the top six. Further, it is unlikely that any rookie is handed a top six position. We all would like another top six forward, but so does every other team in the league. The free agents this summer may be overpriced too. There is also the looming issue of possible cap change in the next CBA.

Bert is also one of the Wings few big forwards.

The team cannot assume a top six forward will be signed. If someone is signed, they will deal with the roster then. IMO assuming a top player will be signed would be a terrible team management move.

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 22 February 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#38 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

And consider if the Wings retained Hudler and then managed to grab another top-six forward type. You could end up assembling something like this:

Franzen-Datsyuk-New Guy
Cleary-Zetterberg-Hudler
Bert-Flip-Miller/or whoever

And you can mix and match wingers to find something else you might like, but that's some pretty good firepower in three lines. I realize this shafts Flip a little ZDC so you must hate it. :P
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#39 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

I realize this shafts Flip a little ZDC so you must hate it. :P

:ranting:

#40 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,942 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

The Wings obviously want more shootout victories in the future.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.