• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

There's more to hockey than just production, but hey who would know that? Not everyone's goal on the ice is to SCORE SCORE SCORE. There IS such a thing as roles in hockey.

You are so right there is more than hockey than production. Like defense, which he doesn't play.

He actually is a much worse player than his offensive numbers let on. I am not a fan of Bertuzzi in any way shape or form. I don't mind him as a depth player... but when you already see us in a number crunch of how many people we can have on our team. I don't like him being the first one added.

I want to say many have cited how he plays with Pavel and they expect more of him. Some have said it is unfair.

I would like to go the opposite direction... Instead of saying how much more production you expect out of Bert when playing with Pavel, what about saying how much more production Pavel could get with a better finisher. Pavel is a player who makes people better by giving space on the ice and making strong passes. Bert is slow and not really a sniper. He can go to the net pretty hard, but slowly.

When there is extra space on the ice, you need someone who can quickly move from gap to gap, or find the soft spot and rip a shot. Need I remind you how Brett and Pav played together???

I think Bert would play much better on a heavy line where the puck is cycled along the boards and players crash the net hard. I always like him and Cleary together and think Helm or abs would be a great third on that line.

Fact is he is an anchor to the top two lines, and is part of the reason IMO that Zetter's production is lacking. Franzen and Bert are too much alike for us to have them both in the top six.

He should be the guy last in line that Holland goes to and say, we will give you a one year for x dollars if you make the team. He shouldn't be taking a roster spot and contract right off the bat. This contract wouldn't bother me as much if it was the last signing of next year's off season and he was a bit cheaper. Not much, but like 200k would have made a bunch of difference in 2013-14. This money should be going to Helm and Abs, not Bert. Holland clearly wants to make him the new Homer.

Holland is pissing me off this month.

Edited by Majsheppard, 22 February 2012 - 04:02 PM.

"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#42 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

The Wings obviously want more shootout victories in the future.

:lol:

Kidding aside - Bert has been solid this year, and if he can continue this level of play for 2 more seasons - it'll go down as the usual smart move by GM Holland.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,831 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

:ranting:

Dude, Bertuzzi made Filppula who he is today. He gave that kid confidence when everyone else was down on him.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have mixed feelings about this extension.

Let's see what he will do this play-offs before judging it.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#45 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

does anyone know if nyquist can play another year in the ahl without being claimed on waivers ??

With this move i cant see the redwings bringing up nyquist as well as tatar( whos out of waivers options as of next year) unless hudler is not coming back or if nquist is starts in the 4th line which i think would be pointless , he needs top 6 opportunities or its just a waste of time

#46 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

:lol:

Kidding aside - Bert has been solid this year, and if he can continue this level of play for 2 more seasons - it'll go down as the usual smart move by GM Holland.

Bert has been good this year, he is a role player and plays the role well. I never liked though how much of a role he is given.

Who is to say his role doesn't diminish along with his skills? At this age he should be making less money and getting shorter terms.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#47 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,831 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

The contract should include a special clause, with incentives for not taking boneheaded penalties.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#48 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Just glad to have Bert back next year. He has been a huge part of our success this year he seems to have played better this year then he has for a long time. Welcome back big guy
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#49 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

does anyone know if nyquist can play another year in the ahl without being claimed on waivers ??

With this move i cant see the redwings bringing up nyquist as well as tatar( whos out of waivers options as of next year) unless hudler is not coming back or if nquist is starts in the 4th line which i think would be pointless , he needs top 6 opportunities or its just a waste of time

Even Pavel and Hank started on the bottom line. That was inevitable.

I think this is more evidence that the brass are giving up on the people who are already there. This doesn't bode well for Mursak and Emmerton, which makes me hate this even more. I think next year is when we should have a minor youth movement. Letting Bert and Homer retire would have been a very good move next year, to allow the youngsters to play and to mitigate it with one big forward signing who is in the 27-33 year old range. Then we have at least two years to determine what we have there before the next wave comes, and comes hard. There could have been some trades then to clear room for the youngsters and bring in what would compliment them while keeping our strong identity in check with many developed players touting the line.

Signing Bert might cause us to lose youth now, and then have a bigger falling off and require more from the next wave. Bad strategy.

#50 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Great news, seeing #44 for 2 more years is really great :thumbup:
IPB Image

#51 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

good to see bert coming back but i hope kenny frees up some spots next year for the kids like nyquist and tatar.

I doubt Hudler, Cleary, Holmstrom and Stuart will all be here next year. Possibly even Kindl and Emmerton gone this seaosn. We'll have a completely new team next season and Bertuzzi is a great Vet to have with an infusion of young guns next season.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#52 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

^ Cleary is signed until next season. You think he'll be traded?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#53 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Wow, I'm sure glad Kenny doesn't listen to some of you :rolleyes. Glad to have Big Bad Bert back for two more years :D :thumbup:

#54 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

The price seems a bit high for his age and the term. I'd hope for a 2 million dollar cap hit but this is really a matter of Holland rewarding the loyal, hardworking guys.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#55 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Bertuzzi's shootout skills alone may net us home ice advantage for the next two seasons.

bringit.jpg

#56 Probie

Probie

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

glad he's back but one year should have been done this is the 35+ situation .... Holland did this with homer too but should have done one year only wit that as well. You never know bert could age fast and be done next year then what do you do,,.,?

#57 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

^ Cleary is signed until next season. You think he'll be traded?

Yes. His NTC expired a few weeks ago. Holland had a plan at the time of Clearys extension.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#58 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Im a BC boy and have been a fan of Bertuzzi since the Canucks got him from the Isles in the late 90's ... hes not as big, as fast, or as mean as he was in his "prime" but how many big men in the league today have hands like this guy? Hes evolving as a player and really doing his best to be a team guy. If Bert stays healthy this move will pay off. I really hope this guy can lift the Cup before he hangs'em up.

#59 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Bert played extremely well in the playoffs last year, he dropped the gloves a few times and had the crowd chanting Todd Bertuzzi all night some games. Bert is loved in Detroit, and he loves the city also, and he enjoys playing for the organization. Bert also provides an edge of physicality on the top line along Pavel and creates space for him, although alot of the penalties he takes are on reputation only. This is a good signing, and hope he performs like this year for another 2 years.

#60 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Bert played extremely well in the playoffs last year, he dropped the gloves a few times and had the crowd chanting Todd Bertuzzi all night some games. Bert is loved in Detroit, and he loves the city also, and he enjoys playing for the organization. Bert also provides an edge of physicality on the top line along Pavel and creates space for him, although alot of the penalties he takes are on reputation only. This is a good signing, and hope he performs like this year for another 2 years.

ughh ya sooo ... who's the chick?? lol