Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

2/23 GDT : Canucks 4 at Red Wings 3 (SO)

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#41 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

This team needs to win without Pavel in the lineup. Hopefully they start doing it tonight.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#42 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

8-1 Wings. :siren: :siren: :siren: Benching 7ouongo in the 1st period, and sadly, ruining Jimmy's great game in the last minute of play. :ranting: LGRW.

Fixed that and now you are the one to blame. :P Not supposed to say the word or think it! :ph34r:

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#43 Hatchet Barry

Hatchet Barry

Long Live The Winged Wheel

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Should be an intense game tonight. You know the Wings want to extend that home streak and furthermore win a big game without having Pav's in the line up. LETS GO WINGS!!!

Never undersestimate the predictability of stupidity

#44 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

I've come down on Monster a couple times in the past but to criticize Monster (and me by proxy) so heavily is a little unfair. He may be wrong about the timing of the GDT but he's certainly correct in saying this is a big game that's getting a lot of attention from fans (and the media). It's the two western conference powerhouses meeting for a game that could determine first place overall in the NHL - plus that whole streak thing you guys got going. It's one thing to criticize when there's a valid reason, but to criticize like you have based on a statement that is at least partially correct seems to me to be more reflective of how you feel about the Canucks and their fans rather than anything particularly shameful that Monster said.

I come down on him because he seems to have this giant urge to remind people how important this game is to the city of Vancouver. I'm not saying it's not a "measuring stick" type of game, but when it boils down to it..... it's the regular season and its a game worth 2 points. Now, do you still want to consider this game a "measuring stick" with injuries and key players missing? I'm not exactly sure you can measure yourself to a team that is missing one of their key elements, which forces lines to be shaken up, which forces missed chemistry. Now, back to the original point.. he also doesn't need to find himself all over the board simply saying "Oh it's because of how big this game is!", ect ect ect and not say anything else. Hell, i'm all for talking hockey. It's all I do, hockey and politics. If i'm not watching hockey i'm watching politics. If he cares to post on this board, atleast bring some conversation to the table. From what it seems, all he's trying to do is troll and get excitement out of people. That's all i'm saying. Did I go far with the Vancouver comment? Yeah, i'll admit that. I honestly haven't had a good experience, or met in real life a Vancouver fan that actually wants to have a genuine hockey conversation. Maybe I haven't run into the right fans of Vancouver, but that's simply it.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#45 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

I come down on him because he seems to have this giant urge to remind people how important this game is to the city of Vancouver. I'm not saying it's not a "measuring stick" type of game, but when it boils down to it..... it's the regular season and its a game worth 2 points. Now, do you still want to consider this game a "measuring stick" with injuries and key players missing? I'm not exactly sure you can measure yourself to a team that is missing one of their key elements, which forces lines to be shaken up, which forces missed chemistry. Now, back to the original point.. he also doesn't need to find himself all over the board simply saying "Oh it's because of how big this game is!", ect ect ect and not say anything else. Hell, i'm all for talking hockey. It's all I do, hockey and politics. If i'm not watching hockey i'm watching politics. If he cares to post on this board, atleast bring some conversation to the table. From what it seems, all he's trying to do is troll and get excitement out of people. That's all i'm saying. Did I go far with the Vancouver comment? Yeah, i'll admit that. I honestly haven't had a good experience, or met in real life a Vancouver fan that actually wants to have a genuine hockey conversation. Maybe I haven't run into the right fans of Vancouver, but that's simply it.

Well Datsyuk is certainly an integral part of the Red Wings, (not sure about other injuries) but in his case at least, no team is going to go far if only one player is relied on to win the games. Datsyuk is the player I've seen most mentioned in this thread. Injuries happen to all teams and as a Canucks fan i'm certainly not going to feel like it's a hollow victory if we win - and I'm certainly not going to feel shame if we lose. Good teams also have a way of picking up the slack when a player goes down and the Wings are nothing if not a good team. Hell, the proof of that is already there in Joey MacDonald.

But I digress, no matter if Datsyuk, Howard, a Sedin or whovever could be injured, it's still a game that's attracting considerably more attention than just your normal run of the mill regular season game.

Edited by Chairman Maouth, 23 February 2012 - 10:40 AM.

It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#46 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

If Vancouver wins, they tie us for 1st place. Therefore, the Wings need to hammer Vancouver.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#47 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

Im excited to see Quincey... believe it or not haha wouldnt have said that a couple years ago...

#48 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Leaving at 1:30 with my cousin, who's a Canucks fan, for the game tonight. They're talking about a snow storm tonight for Michigan-Ontario over night, but we're going anyway! The Weather Network says the worst will be at 4am, but we'll be back by 1:30-2am anyway, so no worries.

I made a comment on my facebook about us going, and that after tonight we may only be cousins by name only :lol:. He replied, "Remember I have the advantage, I have the car keys".

Edit: It's always a tough decision, on which jersey to wear. I have Yzerman, Shanahan, Holmstrom, and a Osgood jersey t-shirt... I think I'm leaning Osgood t-shirt.

Edited by Barrie, 23 February 2012 - 11:32 AM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#49 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Leaving at 1:30 with my cousin, who's a Canucks fan, for the game tonight. They're talking about a snow storm tonight for Michigan-Ontario over night, but we're going anyway! The Weather Network says the worst will be at 4am, but we'll be back by 1:30-2am anyway, so no worries.

I made a comment on my facebook about us going, and that after tonight we may only be cousins by name only :lol:. He replied, "Remember I have the advantage, I have the car keys".

Edit: It's always a tough decision, on which jersey to wear. I have Yzerman, Shanahan, Holmstrom, and a Osgood jersey t-shirt.

Have a safe drive home, who knows what we'll get tonight. Of course enjoy the game and your cousin will hopefully be a good sport about their loss. :P

I'd go with Ozzie but that's just me, since Homer is the only one still on the ice go with him...he may not be here much longer.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#50 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Maybe Quincey can help the PP in tonight's game.
4-3 Wings.

#51 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

Have a safe drive home, who knows what we'll get tonight. Of course enjoy the game and your cousin will hopefully be a good sport about their loss. :P

I'd go with Ozzie but that's just me, since Homer is the only one still on the ice go with him...he may not be here much longer.

Thanks, it'll be a fun night. We've enjoyed seeing this game become more important by the day. He sent me a text a few days ago saying "the streak will stop at 23!" We'll see. He's not a trash talker, and neither am I, so we'll be fine either way. Actually his wife is a big trash talker, but she's not coming.

I did an edit on my post, I think I may go with Ozzie.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,140 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

It's always great to have fans of other teams here, to get a different and admittedly less homer perspective. That's as long as they're not overly antagonistic and trolling.

So this is a polite and pre-emptive play nice in the GDT to everyone. The Canucks fans are welcome here as long as they don't troll. Let's just keep it within the forum guidelines about the game and hockey in general.

consider this a friendly warning from the ref before you end up in the box. :P

#53 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Tonight's Officials
Referees Kyle Rehman (#37) & Dan O'Rourke (#9) Linesmen Greg Devorski (#54) & Jay Sharrers (#57)

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#54 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Quincey will wear #27
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#55 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

f*** my night class 6-9 (central). I think Quincey will score on the PP. Hopefully he can spark the pp replacing hudler who will probably move to forward or just be banished from the pp. Also hope Kronner or Quincey or someone catches one of the sedins with a death check.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#56 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 787 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Let's go Wings. Get 'em Quince. Howie's the man. Let's go boys.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#57 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Huge one tonight if the Wings can pull it off. It'll be tough without Dats, but I expect Z or Fil to step up tonight.

#58 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Will be a huge game. Franzen reallllly needs to step up and Cleary needs to be sat for someone younger and faster.
Wings win, though.

At the very least, I would love to see some Miller time or Abby on the 2nd line in favor of Cleary until he's closer to 100%.

#59 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

A bit of an interesting subplot to the game tonight.

David Booth has played great this year since the Canucks got him from Florida. He was born in Detroit and apparently has never played a game at the Joe anytime in his career. I imagine he'll have plenty of friends and family at the game. I also imagine he's undoubtedly highly pumped to be playing a game in the NHL near where he was born.
It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#60 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

Luongo ain't s***