• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

NHL.com Sucks

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/

Click on that link any day, any time, and you will find something that is minor yet irritates me to no end. The witty plays on names. "Brad Habit," "Avs Crown Kings," and "Fan-Stast-nic."

For God's sake, this is so bush league. I understand marketing requires you to give catchy titles to articles, but is that really necessary on a sports website? None of the others (that I've noticed) resort to this sort of cheesy, blatant tabloid-style writing.

I realize this is sort of a random topic and it's not really all that important, but does it bug anyone else?

It's not just NHL.com. Ever notice the titles they use for FSD? I specifically remember one time they were showing Z's stats related to something, like points in a stretch, I think it was last year actually, they titled it, "Nobody does it Zetter". Either way, I don't think it's "blatant tabloid-style writing". They are just catchy titles for the news.

It is kind of lame, however if it is helping to market hockey and entertain fans, than it is not so bad.

Is it really helpful, though? If it were, wouldn't the NFL and MLB use it more frequently? True, it happens once in a while, but the NHL website is just littered with absolutely terrible titles.

I second the FSD thing, too. They do a lot of terrible puns, too. I just wish they'd reserve them for when a title is actually witty.

It is pretty corny. Guess it's their call though. Whatever. I have to say I enjoy NHL.com for the good amount of videos they put up in a timely manner and for the year that I had NHL Gamecenter, it was lights out. But then again, some of the material isn't always stuff I want to watch. It's a wash. Better than nothing I guess. But yeah, maybe they got some high school interns doing the headlines.

Is it really helpful, though? If it were, wouldn't the NFL and MLB use it more frequently? True, it happens once in a while, but the NHL website is just littered with absolutely terrible titles.

I second the FSD thing, too. They do a lot of terrible puns, too. I just wish they'd reserve them for when a title is actually witty.

I, personally do not like it.

It is pretty corny. Guess it's their call though. Whatever. I have to say I enjoy NHL.com for the good amount of videos they put up in a timely manner and for the year that I had NHL Gamecenter, it was lights out. But then again, some of the material isn't always stuff I want to watch. It's a wash. Better than nothing I guess. But yeah, maybe they got some high school interns doing the headlines.

There is something I can complain about, the ads they make you watch before videos. Ad after ad after ad. I don't mind watching an ad, but not one per video. Once I'm in the video center, show me an ad, then leave me alone.

There is something I can complain about, the ads they make you watch before videos. Ad after ad after ad. I don't mind watching an ad, but not one per video. Once I'm in the video center, show me an ad, then leave me alone.

Exactly. Some of the clips are only 10 seconds long and the commercials are 30. It's frustrating and I usually avoid the videos unless the title is tantalizing.

I here you both on the ads, but that's just the way it is I think. YouTube too. It's how these clowns make their money these days. Can't say I blame them, it's a good business model, but yeah, blows for us.

My big issue with NHL.com is that even when Crosby isnt playing and there is literally nothing worth reporting on him, there are still several stories about him in the 'Top Headlines' box on the right of the page. I remember once that 4 of the 11 to 13 or so stories in that box were all Crosby a few months back. I am not even a big Crosby hater it is just ridiulous that someone, anyone not playing makes the headline stories that much.

Bad puns are pretty much the bread and butter of sports headlines, won't change anytime soon and I don't mind it, TSN does it too but NHL.com is probably the worst offender, check this out rofl

esqET.jpg

My big issue with NHL.com is that even when Crosby isnt playing and there is literally nothing worth reporting on him, there are still several stories about him in the 'Top Headlines' box on the right of the page. I remember once that 4 of the 11 to 13 or so stories in that box were all Crosby a few months back. I am not even a big Crosby hater it is just ridiulous that someone, anyone not playing makes the headline stories that much.

It's probably just confirmation bias, you only remember the times that it happens. There's no Crosby or even Penguins headlines on the homepage right now ;)