33 replies to this topic

#1 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

http://www.nhl.com/

Click on that link any day, any time, and you will find something that is minor yet irritates me to no end. The witty plays on names. "Brad Habit," "Avs Crown Kings," and "Fan-Stast-nic."

For God's sake, this is so bush league. I understand marketing requires you to give catchy titles to articles, but is that really necessary on a sports website? None of the others (that I've noticed) resort to this sort of cheesy, blatant tabloid-style writing.

I realize this is sort of a random topic and it's not really all that important, but does it bug anyone else?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I think it's kind of funny. They're kind of lame, but there is the humor.

NHL.com is my homepage. :ph34r:

Edited by Z and D for the C, 23 February 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#3 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

It's not just NHL.com. Ever notice the titles they use for FSD? I specifically remember one time they were showing Z's stats related to something, like points in a stretch, I think it was last year actually, they titled it, "Nobody does it Zetter". Either way, I don't think it's "blatant tabloid-style writing". They are just catchy titles for the news.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#4 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

its just headline writing. google the "***** in the armor" headline that got 2 guys fired for a lin-sanity story.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#5 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

I actually never use nhl.com, mlb.com, or nfl.com (I don't really care about the NBA), there's to many advertisements on those pages.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#6 arag

arag

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

It is kind of lame, however if it is helping to market hockey and entertain fans, than it is not so bad.

Edited by arag, 23 February 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

It is kind of lame, however if it is helping to market hockey and entertain fans, than it is not so bad.

Is it really helpful, though? If it were, wouldn't the NFL and MLB use it more frequently? True, it happens once in a while, but the NHL website is just littered with absolutely terrible titles.

I second the FSD thing, too. They do a lot of terrible puns, too. I just wish they'd reserve them for when a title is actually witty.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

It is pretty corny. Guess it's their call though. Whatever. I have to say I enjoy NHL.com for the good amount of videos they put up in a timely manner and for the year that I had NHL Gamecenter, it was lights out. But then again, some of the material isn't always stuff I want to watch. It's a wash. Better than nothing I guess. But yeah, maybe they got some high school interns doing the headlines.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#9 arag

arag

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Is it really helpful, though? If it were, wouldn't the NFL and MLB use it more frequently? True, it happens once in a while, but the NHL website is just littered with absolutely terrible titles.

I second the FSD thing, too. They do a lot of terrible puns, too. I just wish they'd reserve them for when a title is actually witty.

I, personally do not like it.

#10 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

People are actually paid to "create" these witty things. I called out a well known, usually obnoxious Toronto sports writer once for a headline to one of his columns. His response: I don't write them, someone else does that job.
I'll bet that guy at ESPN would love to have a do-over.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#11 arag

arag

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

It funny. I was talking to my brother abouth these just last night. He wanted to write them an email and tell them how lame that is.

#12 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

these headlines are absolutely punbearable.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#13 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

It is pretty corny. Guess it's their call though. Whatever. I have to say I enjoy NHL.com for the good amount of videos they put up in a timely manner and for the year that I had NHL Gamecenter, it was lights out. But then again, some of the material isn't always stuff I want to watch. It's a wash. Better than nothing I guess. But yeah, maybe they got some high school interns doing the headlines.

There is something I can complain about, the ads they make you watch before videos. Ad after ad after ad. I don't mind watching an ad, but not one per video. Once I'm in the video center, show me an ad, then leave me alone.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

There is something I can complain about, the ads they make you watch before videos. Ad after ad after ad. I don't mind watching an ad, but not one per video. Once I'm in the video center, show me an ad, then leave me alone.

Exactly. Some of the clips are only 10 seconds long and the commercials are 30. It's frustrating and I usually avoid the videos unless the title is tantalizing.

#15 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

I here you both on the ads, but that's just the way it is I think. YouTube too. It's how these clowns make their money these days. Can't say I blame them, it's a good business model, but yeah, blows for us.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#16 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

just use adblock.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#17 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

My big issue with NHL.com is that even when Crosby isnt playing and there is literally nothing worth reporting on him, there are still several stories about him in the 'Top Headlines' box on the right of the page. I remember once that 4 of the 11 to 13 or so stories in that box were all Crosby a few months back. I am not even a big Crosby hater it is just ridiulous that someone, anyone not playing makes the headline stories that much.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#18 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

Use the Adblock Plus addon for your browser. I didn't even know NHL had ads in their videos until now. That is pretty annoying though considering most videos are really short.

#19 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

I haven't visited nhl.com in a long time, tsn.ca is easily among the best sites out there for up to the minute hockey news.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#20 Sycsa

Sycsa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

I like puns, even though they're the lowest form of wit.