• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Bad puns are pretty much the bread and butter of sports headlines, won't change anytime soon and I don't mind it, TSN does it too but NHL.com is probably the worst offender, check this out rofl
Posted Image

My big issue with NHL.com is that even when Crosby isnt playing and there is literally nothing worth reporting on him, there are still several stories about him in the 'Top Headlines' box on the right of the page. I remember once that 4 of the 11 to 13 or so stories in that box were all Crosby a few months back. I am not even a big Crosby hater it is just ridiulous that someone, anyone not playing makes the headline stories that much.

It's probably just confirmation bias, you only remember the times that it happens. There's no Crosby or even Penguins headlines on the homepage right now ;)

#22 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

The only time I ever use puns is to piss other people off... I know they piss me off. Stupid puns.

#23 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,897 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

I get a kick out of them. The worse they are, the better.

Puns are the lowest form of humour, and I am the lowest form of human. It fits.

#24 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

ESPN sucks at headlines too, remember this flub?

Posted Image

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#25 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Unintentional puns are my favorites.
"Blind Woman Gets New Kidney from Dad she Hasn't Seen in Years"

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#26 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I think it's kind of funny. They're kind of lame, but there is the humor.

NHL.com is my homepage. :ph34r:

I agree. I kind of like all the puns. Some of them are rather creative.

Plus, at NHL.com you can get an hourly update on the status of Sidney Crosby's sprained ******.

#27 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Anyone remember when Crosby won the cup and how NHL.com went crazy?

Posted Image

Edited by Holmstrom96, 23 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#28 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Are you sure ABP will block the NHL.com videos? Guess I'll have to try. Like I said, I don't mind watching an ad or two, but not for every damn clip them show. I may be exaggerating, not every video, but pretty damn near close to it. I watch more ads than videos on that site.

I had a screen cap when Crosby was about to return, can't find it right now, but all but two stories (or less) were about Crosby. Even the red thingy below the schedule that has premiere games or events listed said something like: Crosby, 7PM. It was ridiculous.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize ABP would work for these type of ads. I had it before but never reinstalled after reloading my OS. Either way, I tested it and it worked great. Ironically, I randomly clicked this video link from the top headlines on the front page not realizing it was the Wings. Awesome video to randomly click! Now I'm pumped for the game tonight.

http://video.nhl.com...id=35&id=157499

At any rate, how about this one?

Posted Image

Edited by rrasco, 23 February 2012 - 07:12 PM.

• Nev likes this

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#29 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

I rarely use nhl.com i find tsn.ca to be a much better source.
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#30 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

I always like a pun, good or bad.

As for my activity on NHL.com, I typically check it most days on the standings update and the like. Usually don't go there much for news or media/video, but I don't check too many sports sites anymore in general for that kinda stuff anymore, just isn't part of my routine on Internet surfing and the like much anymore given work and routine outside of work now.

Not saying the site stinks or is the greatest thing since sliced bread. They give users plenty of info and media options to go from.

#31 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image

My personal fave... also happened to be the day that Thrashers mascot was "freed from prison" lol.

My friends and I regularly have a good laugh at nhl.com puns and I remember an especially good Hudler one a few weeks ago but forget it now..

#32 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

http://www.nhl.com/

Click on that link any day, any time, and you will find something that is minor yet irritates me to no end. The witty plays on names. "Brad Habit," "Avs Crown Kings," and "Fan-Stast-nic."

For God's sake, this is so bush league. I understand marketing requires you to give catchy titles to articles, but is that really necessary on a sports website? None of the others (that I've noticed) resort to this sort of cheesy, blatant tabloid-style writing.

I realize this is sort of a random topic and it's not really all that important, but does it bug anyone else?

I agree.... they are extremely lame. I can't say that I have read even one that I've found even remotely funny.

#33 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

Several years ago I read a story from Boston, philly or Pburgh and the headline was "women gets 10 years for sack attack"

The story: some crazy woman tore her husbands scrotum to shreds with her bare hands and fingernails while he was sleeping off a bender, due to his cheating.

Im still laughing about it as I type.....hysterical!

#34 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,897 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

I love funny headlines from sports or otherwise.