• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

IMO, Clarke's actions devalue him as a human being, and his coach too. Also, that slash knocked out the best Soviet player (Kharlamov) effectively for the rest of the series. Who knows what might have been?

It tarnished the series, but Canada's win was legitimate and an impressive comeback. Seems like the Russians relaxed after being up 3-1-1 in the series.

Funny thing is, in Russia, they never think of this series as a loss. They look at it more as them proving to the world that they're just as good at hockey as the Canadians. No one thought so before the series. At the end of the day, the series did more for Russian hockey than it did for Canadian hockey.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 September 2012 - 08:09 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

Also, that slash knocked out the best Soviet player (Kharlamov) effectively for the rest of the series.

By the term "best", did you mean the leading scorer amongst the Soviet players? if so, he wasn't.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

By the term "best", did you mean the leading scorer amongst the Soviet players? if so, he wasn't.

No, I meant the best player, besides (possibly) Tretiak. Yakushev was the best scorer, but Kharlamov played fewer games and some of them on fractured ankle. Nevertheless he was the best player on that team, without him the top line seriously lost effectiveness.

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

I came across this ebook free download from the Montreal Gazette of articles that ran in the "Gazoo" forty years ago.

#25 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

For anyone interested in reading up on that historic series, "Cold War", by Roy Macskimming, is a really good book on the subject.
Also, "Canada's Team Of The Century" dvd set, which has all 8 complete games.
I also have the documentary "Summit On Ice", produced by CBC, which I believe was first shown in 1992.

there's also a movie on the series with Gerry Dee...and it's awesome!

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Gerry Dee as Wayne Cashman.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 05 September 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

IMO, Clarke's actions devalue him as a human being, and his coach too. Also, that slash knocked out the best Soviet player (Kharlamov) effectively for the rest of the series. Who knows what might have been?

If the refs called the series fair, Canada wouldn't have had to rely on the heroic goal from Paul Henderson to win. They likely would have won the series 6-2. Also, if all the NHLers that didn't show up would have played in the series against "the best the Russians had to offer" they would have won more convincingly. Only 1 name needed to end the Kharlamov debate....Bobby Orr.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#28 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

If the refs called the series fair, Canada wouldn't have had to rely on the heroic goal from Paul Henderson to win. They likely would have won the series 6-2. Also, if all the NHLers that didn't show up would have played in the series against "the best the Russians had to offer" they would have won more convincingly. Only 1 name needed to end the Kharlamov debate....Bobby Orr.

If other NHLers weren't there, that wasn't the Russians fault. Canada brought the team it did, so that must have been the best they had at the moment.
As to the refs, the Russians think the same thing :P . North American refs worked 4 games and tEuropean refs worked 4 games. Any bias, difference in style, varying understanding of what constitutes a foul, should cancel out over the series.
Also I thought Orr was hurt and couldn't play? So that wasn't gonna happen anyway. Kharlamov, on the other hand did play... until Clarke's slash that is.

Edited by sibiriak, 05 September 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Bobby Hull would have also made a difference.

But Canada would have had a tough time against the Soviets either way. Their team was together all year, while Canada's team needed time to gel together.

#30 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

Bobby Hull would have also made a difference.

But Canada would have had a tough time against the Soviets either way. Their team was together all year, while Canada's team needed time to gel together.

Where do you guys get this idea that the Soviet team trained together year round? That's not true. The guys on the team all played for different higher division teams, and they were with their club teams for most of the season. The national team usually got together for 3-4 weeks before World Championships and maybe for a few days before an "Izvestia" tournament and maybe a couple of other times during the year. Which still would have given them more team cohesion than Canada, but it was a far cry from playing together year round.

Also, what prevented Canadian coaches from using lines from the same NHL team, that played together regularly, if they thought that was such an advantage?

Edited by sibiriak, 05 September 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

Where do you guys get this idea that the Soviet team trained together year round? That's not true. The guys on the team all played for different higher division teams, and they were with their club teams for most of the season. The national team usually got together for 3-4 weeks before World Championships and maybe for a few days before an "Izvestia" tournament and maybe a couple of other times during the year. Which still would have given them more team cohesion than Canada, but it was a far cry from playing together year round.

Also, what prevented Canadian coaches from using lines from the same NHL team, that played together regularly, if they thought that was such an advantage?

North American propaganda, man. :lol:

It's also rumored they trained in the snow without their shirts on, and karate chopped tree barks to toughen themselves up.

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

It's a shame that Paul Henderson is mostly remembered only for his "historic goal". He provided a whole lot more than just the final goal.

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Thanks to the efforts of Down Goes Brown, this historic document has been "found".

#34 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

I was in a local Chapters store today and saw new books by Andrew Podnieks , Canadian rock icon Dave Bidini and Paul Henderson on the subject.

#35 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Ok, this is a potentially nice consolation prize in the face of the imminent lockout. Dreger reports tonight:

‏@DarrenDreger
As has been reported, Hockey Can and NHLPA discussing a Can-Rus series involving locked out NHL players. Part of 40th anniversary of 72.

#36 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

It would be remiss, on my part, if this was not mentioned:

Game Five, First Period, Kharlamov, slashing, 12:25.

#37 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Go Datsyuk finally his old club gets to see the Coperfield of icehockey happy for him.

Edited by frankgrimes, 16 September 2012 - 02:35 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#38 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Enjoy: Toronto Star.

#39 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Tonight on TSN:

7:30 PM Team Canada Rewind: 1972 Summit Series - Game 8 Revisited (40th Anniversary)

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 26 September 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#40 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image