• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

blgillett

next years cap

Rate this topic

After last nights game and a comment by kenny not knowing were the cap will be next year it got me thinking. Has the unknown about what will happen next year with C.B.A. And were the cap will be is that going to make Holland a little nerves about making a big trade. Is he more likely to pick up a rental player then someone we can keep for a few yours. What's every bodies thoughts on this.

Edited by blgillett

If the new CBA includes a reduction/restructuring of the cap, there more than likely would be a buyout process that teams would use to get under it so I don't think next year's cap will serve as a hindrance. Who knows, maybe Kenny would decide to buy out Franzen after trading for someone who will actually play like he gives a s*** for 82 games a season.

Maybe it's a small factor, but like ogreslayer wrote, there will be ways to adjust if the cap goes down. More than likely it goes up anyway.

Holland has said he is only looking for rentals, though. That's because this summer's UFA crop is going to be fantastic, the best opportunity he's had in years to rebuild this team with so many pending retirements in the next year or two. So he doesn't want to waste assets when he can build without losing anything but money in a few months. He's obviously happy enough with the team we have, but he also recognizes there are areas that need to be improved upon. It won't take much to make the Wings a championship favorite this season.

[quote name='VM1138' timestamp='1330272634' post='2262974'

Holland has said he is only looking for rentals, though. That's because this summer's UFA crop is going to be fantastic, the best opportunity he's had in years to rebuild this team with so many pending retirements in the next year or two. It won't take much to make the Wings a championship favorite this season.

First I couldn't agree more with your statement about not taking much to make this a favorite but like always injuries can make or brake a teams chances to winning the cup.

I only count 3 players that might call it quits in the next couple years that being Nick Homer and Bert if I missed some one fell free to correct me only one of those is a big deal and Kenny will have a hard time to replace that spot

I also think you guys are right about some sort of buy out plan but I don't see any body giving us any thing for the Mule to long of a contract. They would make wings buy him out then try to pick him up with shorter contract.

Way I look at it is that these players are unlikely to return to the Wings, not necessarily retiring:

Hudler

Lidstrom (after one more year)

Holmstrom

Stuart

I also have doubts Cleary will be around for many more years, and Bertuzzi will be done in two years.

It's not an immediate exodus, but with such an amazing opportunity to bring in great talent next season, Holland might be planning on "stocking up" for future years.

If the new CBA includes a reduction/restructuring of the cap, there more than likely would be a buyout process that teams would use to get under it so I don't think next year's cap will serve as a hindrance. Who knows, maybe Kenny would decide to buy out Franzen after trading for someone who will actually play like he gives a s*** for 82 games a season.

I agree with your point, but it would be hilariously bad if the new CBA included a reduction/restructuring for the cap. It's one thing to do it when you're converting the league to a cap, but to have to do it less than 10 years after the implementation of the cap just shows some of these idiot GM's can't help themselves with bad contracts. It'll be interesting to see how much further the NHL will go to protect poorly run franchises from themselves.

Way I look at it is that these players are unlikely to return to the Wings, not necessarily retiring:

Hudler

Lidstrom (after one more year)

Holmstrom

Stuart

I also have doubts Cleary will be around for many more years, and Bertuzzi will be done in two years.

It's not an immediate exodus, but with such an amazing opportunity to bring in great talent next season, Holland might be planning on "stocking up" for future years.

I don't see Huds going anywhere anytime soon.

Like it or not, Hudler is currently SECOND on the team in goals with 20!

Although maybe than means someone will take him off our hands in a trade....Maybe

If Hudler is second with 20 then we have a few that are under producing. Maybe too many set up guy's and not enough finishers?

I think Ken Holland needs to find a legitimate sniper. A couple of minor roster changes are needed also to get some hunger into this team. I don't think Hudler will be re-signed even though he is not bad value, I just don't know where he fits if a sniper is added.

If Hudler is second with 20 then we have a few that are under producing. Maybe too many set up guy's and not enough finishers?

I think Ken Holland needs to find a legitimate sniper. A couple of minor roster changes are needed also to get some hunger into this team. I don't think Hudler will be re-signed even though he is not bad value, I just don't know where he fits if a sniper is added.

I agree with everything you said. Although he still pisses me off all the time (slow, playing the point on PP) it's still nice to know that he has put up 20 goals this season and I think he deserves some credit for that.

But I'm all for not re-signing him if we get an upgraded top 6 player!

I agree with everything you said. Although he still pisses me off all the time (slow, playing the point on PP) it's still nice to know that he has put up 20 goals this season and I think he deserves some credit for that.

But I'm all for not re-signing him if we get an upgraded top 6 player!

Its hard to give away 20 goal + guys. When you only have one other on the team you can't afford not keeping him even though he still hasn't played up to expeditions

Guest Hatethedrake!

Its hard to give away 20 goal + guys. When you only have one other on the team you can't afford not keeping him even though he still hasn't played up to expeditions

It's tough when players fail to play up to expeditions.