• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

I can't believe people are still on his case about last year's playoffs. Remember how he slid into the boards and smashed up his ankle? And missed several games? I think that might have had something to do with it. He wouldn't be the first Red Wing to be rendered ineffective in the playoffs because of an injury, nor is he anywhere near the most talented of the players that's happened to either.

Agree. That moron Doan put him face first into the boards.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

As I said in the GDT arlier, Franzen is in his early 30's, meaning his work ethic is unlikely to improve at this stage in his career. His work ethic was great early on in Detroit, when he played on the 4th line and then had to prove himself on the top two lines. Since then, he has indeed been a floater.

The reason people are upset about him, is that they see guys like Helm or Miller busting their ass off on every shift and want Franzen to do the same. They figure that Franzen + Helm's work ethic = 50 goal scorer every season. It's not entirely a bad argument.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Looking at Franzen's career stats, he's having a typical Franzen type season:

http://www.hockey-re.../franzjo01.html
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#24 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Goal scorers are often streaky, but he can be amazingly invisible for a 6'3" 225 lbs guy. What frustrates me about him is not that he's not scoring. It happens. But sometimes he looks like he doesn't want to play.

Goals scorers can be streaky if they do other things than score goals. Franzen doesn't. I've said it a million times, if Franzen isn't scoring goals, he isn't doing anything. That's his problem.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#25 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

Goals scorers can be streaky if they do other things than score goals. Franzen doesn't. I've said it a million times, if Franzen isn't scoring goals, he isn't doing anything. That's his problem.

Agreed I think that's the biggest reason why I never liked him. I just think he should be doing more.

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

As I said in the GDT arlier, Franzen is in his early 30's, meaning his work ethic is unlikely to improve at this stage in his career. His work ethic was great early on in Detroit, when he played on the 4th line and then had to prove himself on the top two lines. Since then, he has indeed been a floater.

The reason people are upset about him, is that they see guys like Helm or Miller busting their ass off on every shift and want Franzen to do the same. They figure that Franzen + Helm's work ethic = 50 goal scorer every season. It's not entirely a bad argument.

This exactly! Thank you!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#27 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'd never criticize Franzen for not scoring more or for not grinding all the time,but at the times when he can't find the net or make a simple pass do some other things and to help your teammates

#28 JoeBuddy

JoeBuddy

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

I can't agree with this thread enough. I've been telling my friends this since the season began. The problem with Franzen is that at this point he is nothing more than a shooter. When there isn't anyone there to feed him the easy goal or shot, he won't produce. He doesn't play defense. On occasion he shows some sort of stick-handling ability, but that is about it. The other night against Vancouver he was gently striding to get onside. It doesn't look like he cares about the regular season at all. I understand that as long as he performs during the playoffs, everything will be forgiven. However, that doesn't excuse his pathetic play as of late. He looks like the laziest player on the ice every night. I would not object to Ken Holland trading him away. What I am upset with is that the rest of Datsyuk's prime will be stuck side by side with Franzen and Bertuzzi. <_<
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!"
- Mickey Redmond observing Tomas Holmstrom getting hit by the Dallas Stars. (January 12, 2001)

#29 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

If Franzen does ever get traded it will be in the off-season. I find it hard to believe that Holland would trade him before the playoffs knowing how good of a goal scorer he has been in the past. But two mediocre playoffs in a row (and another early exit) could change all that.

Sometimes I wonder how much of a role loyalty had to play in choosing Franzen over Hossa. Hossa is and always was a world-class talent; Franzen is a diamond in the rough.

#30 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Sometimes I wonder how much of a role loyalty had to play in choosing Franzen over Hossa. Hossa is and always was a world-class talent; Franzen is a diamond in the rough.

Would it be much of a stretch to say that Holland's biggest career mistake will be Franzen over Hossa? It hurts to think how good our top 6 would be with Hossa, especially given he only makes a million or so more than Franzen.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 26 February 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#31 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Normally I don't mind Franzen. However, with Datsyuk out and how close things are in the standings we NEED him to step up and carry the team wihel Datsyuk is out. Hell as least skate hard. The last 3 games he has looked so bad it makes me wonder if he is injured. I think he needs to sit out for a game or two. Take a step back and watch from the press box. You must play with great effort. I just want to see him work hard. I had a coach tell me this when I was younger and I still use. "it takes no talent to hustle, anyone can do." So for the love of god, please Franzen, bust your ass out there.

Edited by crispychris, 26 February 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#32 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Johan Franzen. Our big 6'3 220 power forward who plays like he's 5'2. Coasts around the outside and not use that size to get to the middle. Basically hes lazy. No more proof is needed than the last game where he was very slow and lazy in clearing the zone causing an offsides.

#33 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

lets get it going Franzen!!!!

#34 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

Franzen, no matter the work ethic, is not a 50 goal scorer.

He has the shot, but not the other talents to pull it off.

Posted Image

#35 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

^
Exactly he won't even ever hit 30

#36 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

^
Exactly he won't even ever hit 30

You aren't being serious, are you?

Posted Image

#37 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

Would it be much of a stretch to say that Holland's biggest career mistake will be Franzen over Hossa? It hurts to think how good our top 6 would be with Hossa, especially given he only makes a million or so more than Franzen.

Big stretch. It was either Hossa or Mule+depth, which Holland with rather have a balanced team over a top heavy squad. Even with Hudler over seas for the 09-10 season we were still right at the cap. That extra million with Hossa would've meant more depth loss besides just Sammy.

#38 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Great post by the OP. nobody is more frustrating to watch than the Mule this year. He has SO much talent and totally looks like he would like to be elsewhere. I was actually impressed when Babs put him down on the third line because he deserves to be demoted. We need the Mule so I hope his ego got a slap from the Avs game and that gets a bee in his bonnet
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#39 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Big stretch. It was either Hossa or Mule+depth, which Holland with rather have a balanced team over a top heavy squad. Even with Hudler over seas for the 09-10 season we were still right at the cap. That extra million with Hossa would've meant more depth loss besides just Sammy.

Yeah, would have meant we wouldn't have signed Jason Williams. Oh the calamity.

#40 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

I don't know that he's on a downswing. It's so hard to tell with Franzen. I wish I could still find the quote where he basically says he gets bored in the regular season.

I remember him saying that during the Phoenix series last year. I was utterly shocked when I read it, admitting to floating during the regular season.

Incredible to think that he just coasts around out there, yet is our leading goalscorer.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk