• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

b.shanafan14

Johan Franzen Depreciation

Rate this topic

As I said in the GDT arlier, Franzen is in his early 30's, meaning his work ethic is unlikely to improve at this stage in his career. His work ethic was great early on in Detroit, when he played on the 4th line and then had to prove himself on the top two lines. Since then, he has indeed been a floater.

The reason people are upset about him, is that they see guys like Helm or Miller busting their ass off on every shift and want Franzen to do the same. They figure that Franzen + Helm's work ethic = 50 goal scorer every season. It's not entirely a bad argument.

This exactly! Thank you!

I can't agree with this thread enough. I've been telling my friends this since the season began. The problem with Franzen is that at this point he is nothing more than a shooter. When there isn't anyone there to feed him the easy goal or shot, he won't produce. He doesn't play defense. On occasion he shows some sort of stick-handling ability, but that is about it. The other night against Vancouver he was gently striding to get onside. It doesn't look like he cares about the regular season at all. I understand that as long as he performs during the playoffs, everything will be forgiven. However, that doesn't excuse his pathetic play as of late. He looks like the laziest player on the ice every night. I would not object to Ken Holland trading him away. What I am upset with is that the rest of Datsyuk's prime will be stuck side by side with Franzen and Bertuzzi. <_<

If Franzen does ever get traded it will be in the off-season. I find it hard to believe that Holland would trade him before the playoffs knowing how good of a goal scorer he has been in the past. But two mediocre playoffs in a row (and another early exit) could change all that.

Sometimes I wonder how much of a role loyalty had to play in choosing Franzen over Hossa. Hossa is and always was a world-class talent; Franzen is a diamond in the rough.

Sometimes I wonder how much of a role loyalty had to play in choosing Franzen over Hossa. Hossa is and always was a world-class talent; Franzen is a diamond in the rough.

Would it be much of a stretch to say that Holland's biggest career mistake will be Franzen over Hossa? It hurts to think how good our top 6 would be with Hossa, especially given he only makes a million or so more than Franzen.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Normally I don't mind Franzen. However, with Datsyuk out and how close things are in the standings we NEED him to step up and carry the team wihel Datsyuk is out. Hell as least skate hard. The last 3 games he has looked so bad it makes me wonder if he is injured. I think he needs to sit out for a game or two. Take a step back and watch from the press box. You must play with great effort. I just want to see him work hard. I had a coach tell me this when I was younger and I still use. "it takes no talent to hustle, anyone can do." So for the love of god, please Franzen, bust your ass out there.

Edited by crispychris

Johan Franzen. Our big 6'3 220 power forward who plays like he's 5'2. Coasts around the outside and not use that size to get to the middle. Basically hes lazy. No more proof is needed than the last game where he was very slow and lazy in clearing the zone causing an offsides.

As I said in the GDT arlier, Franzen is in his early 30's, meaning his work ethic is unlikely to improve at this stage in his career. His work ethic was great early on in Detroit, when he played on the 4th line and then had to prove himself on the top two lines. Since then, he has indeed been a floater.

The reason people are upset about him, is that they see guys like Helm or Miller busting their ass off on every shift and want Franzen to do the same. They figure that Franzen + Helm's work ethic = 50 goal scorer every season. It's not entirely a bad argument.

Franzen, no matter the work ethic, is not a 50 goal scorer.

He has the shot, but not the other talents to pull it off.

Would it be much of a stretch to say that Holland's biggest career mistake will be Franzen over Hossa? It hurts to think how good our top 6 would be with Hossa, especially given he only makes a million or so more than Franzen.

Big stretch. It was either Hossa or Mule+depth, which Holland with rather have a balanced team over a top heavy squad. Even with Hudler over seas for the 09-10 season we were still right at the cap. That extra million with Hossa would've meant more depth loss besides just Sammy.

Great post by the OP. nobody is more frustrating to watch than the Mule this year. He has SO much talent and totally looks like he would like to be elsewhere. I was actually impressed when Babs put him down on the third line because he deserves to be demoted. We need the Mule so I hope his ego got a slap from the Avs game and that gets a bee in his bonnet

Big stretch. It was either Hossa or Mule+depth, which Holland with rather have a balanced team over a top heavy squad. Even with Hudler over seas for the 09-10 season we were still right at the cap. That extra million with Hossa would've meant more depth loss besides just Sammy.

Yeah, would have meant we wouldn't have signed Jason Williams. Oh the calamity.

I don't know that he's on a downswing. It's so hard to tell with Franzen. I wish I could still find the quote where he basically says he gets bored in the regular season.

I remember him saying that during the Phoenix series last year. I was utterly shocked when I read it, admitting to floating during the regular season.

Incredible to think that he just coasts around out there, yet is our leading goalscorer.

And would have made a long term commitment to a player who was not only a one year rental, but who had issues scoring in the playoffs (something that Chicago didn't have to worry about in 2010) and would not only missed half the 2010 season due to rehab, but would also be a potential risk due to other injuries.

It isn't like Hossa was an easy choice.

Guest Crymson

You forget that re-signing Kopecky would very possibly have been a condition of re-signing Hossa.

I think you all know my opinion of Franzen so I will refrain from just bad-mouthing him. I will just say I really appreciate this thread and agree with the OP to the Nth degree!

edit: on a side note, the same can be said about Zetterberg. I do believe wholeheartedly that because of his back, he is on a downswing and will continue to get worse. I predict both of these guys retire because of health issues before their contracts are up...

i think this is a very unfair assessment of Z. while he's having an offseason, and just moved into 2nd on the team in scoring btw, he competes hard night in and night out. he's had back issues yes, but if Franzen had Z's compete level, this thread would not exist. the point of the topic is that Mule takes not just nights off, but weeks. he's a floater that for some reason cannot hit the net with more than 10% of his shots. if you want to compare him to Z, which is completely absurd, i'll play along. Z penalty kills, is the guy you send out to kill EVERY 5 on 3, 2nd on team in scoring, skates hard and wears his heart on his sleeve and bleeds for the TEAM and that's the reason he has an A on his jersey. Franzen....floats around and just doesn't give a s*** and he doesn't PK cause he has no heart and probably wouldn't even try to block a shot. he doesn't hit very much at all, and for a guy that's 6'3 240ish, you should be ******* s*** up. this year every game i watch, Franzen shows up in the game just long enough to miss the net by 2 feet on a golden opportunity to bury the biscuit.

I for one would be very open to trading Franzen. I would rather see his spot filled by Nyquist and have the Wings try to add a sniper like Selanne or Iginla, whom also bring it every night no questions asked. i would dump Franzen's long contract for a rental that would help the Wings win the cup for sure. Then bring up Nyquist and Tatar full time. Young energy is nice to have on the team. might even get a few other guys going harder trying to keep up with the young legs...

Seems strange that you would make that statement about our leading goal scorer, who is paid half as much.

cause he's been in a nice slump lately averaging a point every other game. and the rate he's missing the net with his shots lately which is more and more all the time, things aren't looking very good for him. leading scorer or not, he's a shooter and one of the few snipers on a team full of playmakers and grinders. guys get him the puck in prime zones on the ice constantly and he's high and wide 90% of the time...not what you want from your leading "goal scorer" on a regular basis.

cause he's been in a nice slump lately averaging a point every other game. and the rate he's missing the net with his shots lately which is more and more all the time, things aren't looking very good for him. leading scorer or not, he's a shooter and one of the few snipers on a team full of playmakers and grinders. guys get him the puck in prime zones on the ice constantly and he's high and wide 90% of the time...not what you want from your leading "goal scorer" on a regular basis.

And this relates to Gomez, how?

Goal scorers have slumps. Franzen has shown to have more irritating slumps than most goal scorers, but still can put the biscuit in the basket a good number of times over the course of the season.

Gomez has proven to be relatively useless in every single facet of the game. And is paid a ton more. Not comparable.