• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

Yeah, would have meant we wouldn't have signed Jason Williams. Oh the calamity.

And would have made a long term commitment to a player who was not only a one year rental, but who had issues scoring in the playoffs (something that Chicago didn't have to worry about in 2010) and would not only missed half the 2010 season due to rehab, but would also be a potential risk due to other injuries.

It isn't like Hossa was an easy choice.

Posted Image

#42 wolverine1817

wolverine1817

Go Blue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

Some motivation from Franzen would be pretty awesome to see, even if it is the regular season. What could it hurt?... allI'msayin

#43 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

Yeah, would have meant we wouldn't have signed Jason Williams. Oh the calamity.

You forget that re-signing Kopecky would very possibly have been a condition of re-signing Hossa.

#44 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

franzen sucks.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#45 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

I think you all know my opinion of Franzen so I will refrain from just bad-mouthing him. I will just say I really appreciate this thread and agree with the OP to the Nth degree!

edit: on a side note, the same can be said about Zetterberg. I do believe wholeheartedly that because of his back, he is on a downswing and will continue to get worse. I predict both of these guys retire because of health issues before their contracts are up...

i think this is a very unfair assessment of Z. while he's having an offseason, and just moved into 2nd on the team in scoring btw, he competes hard night in and night out. he's had back issues yes, but if Franzen had Z's compete level, this thread would not exist. the point of the topic is that Mule takes not just nights off, but weeks. he's a floater that for some reason cannot hit the net with more than 10% of his shots. if you want to compare him to Z, which is completely absurd, i'll play along. Z penalty kills, is the guy you send out to kill EVERY 5 on 3, 2nd on team in scoring, skates hard and wears his heart on his sleeve and bleeds for the TEAM and that's the reason he has an A on his jersey. Franzen....floats around and just doesn't give a s*** and he doesn't PK cause he has no heart and probably wouldn't even try to block a shot. he doesn't hit very much at all, and for a guy that's 6'3 240ish, you should bef****** s*** up. this year every game i watch, Franzen shows up in the game just long enough to miss the net by 2 feet on a golden opportunity to bury the biscuit.

I for one would be very open to trading Franzen. I would rather see his spot filled by Nyquist and have the Wings try to add a sniper like Selanne or Iginla, whom also bring it every night no questions asked. i would dump Franzen's long contract for a rental that would help the Wings win the cup for sure. Then bring up Nyquist and Tatar full time. Young energy is nice to have on the team. might even get a few other guys going harder trying to keep up with the young legs...

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#46 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

He was demoted to the third line in practice today.

#47 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

2-3 more games and we'll see a 4 mil/year 4th liner. i hope he doesn't go Gomez on us and completely s*** the bed and not score for a year. :hehe:

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#48 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

2-3 more games and we'll see a 4 mil/year 4th liner. i hope he doesn't go Gomez on us and completely s*** the bed and not score for a year. :hehe:

Seems strange that you would make that statement about our leading goal scorer, who is paid half as much.

Posted Image

#49 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Seems strange that you would make that statement about our leading goal scorer, who is paid half as much.

cause he's been in a nice slump lately averaging a point every other game. and the rate he's missing the net with his shots lately which is more and more all the time, things aren't looking very good for him. leading scorer or not, he's a shooter and one of the few snipers on a team full of playmakers and grinders. guys get him the puck in prime zones on the ice constantly and he's high and wide 90% of the time...not what you want from your leading "goal scorer" on a regular basis.

Free darkmanx!

#50 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

cause he's been in a nice slump lately averaging a point every other game. and the rate he's missing the net with his shots lately which is more and more all the time, things aren't looking very good for him. leading scorer or not, he's a shooter and one of the few snipers on a team full of playmakers and grinders. guys get him the puck in prime zones on the ice constantly and he's high and wide 90% of the time...not what you want from your leading "goal scorer" on a regular basis.

And this relates to Gomez, how?

Goal scorers have slumps. Franzen has shown to have more irritating slumps than most goal scorers, but still can put the biscuit in the basket a good number of times over the course of the season.

Gomez has proven to be relatively useless in every single facet of the game. And is paid a ton more. Not comparable.

Posted Image

#51 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Great, now he is going to screw up another line that is meshing :P. Seriously though, I hate this. Helm Abdelkader Miller have been chewing up opposition defense and have been our best unit for a few weeks now. I would rather sit Franzen and make him watch how they operate without messing things up.

I understand the logic of putting him with guys who are busting their asses, hoping it rubs off on him, while at the same time checking his ego by 'demoting' him, but it stinks in my opinion. Now the fourth line... :D (I honestly have no clue what to do with Franzen; don't like wasting anyone's effort on him until he fixes his attitude, really, knowing full well that is unrealistic)

#52 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Mule does not compete and that is getting to be a huge problem for the Wings. If all he provides is a few goals that are usually gifts then he is replaceable for a player that may not score more but that brings more to the table.

#53 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

And this relates to Gomez, how?

Goal scorers have slumps. Franzen has shown to have more irritating slumps than most goal scorers, but still can put the biscuit in the basket a good number of times over the course of the season.

Gomez has proven to be relatively useless in every single facet of the game. And is paid a ton more. Not comparable.

that's why i said i hope that Franzen doesn't turn into Gomez. it was an extreme comparison to get the point across that Franzen has been less than good as of late.

Free darkmanx!

#54 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

I want to say "good" but Miller - Helm - Abdelkader has been playing lights out lately.

Whatever happened to The Mule?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#55 Supface

Supface

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

For having these supposed "soft hands", dude has a hard time catching passes and not losing the puck.

#56 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

how long will the demotion on the third line last for mule??

i'm guessing a couple shifts.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#57 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

we got him instead of hossa.

for 8 or 9 more years.

:thumbup:

Plus more than a million in cap space each of those years.

Not saying he hasn't been a disappointment (he certainly has), but its not apples to oranges.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#58 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

So if he drops down to the 3rd or 4th line (which I really doubt will last longer then pre-game skate) who takes his place? Nobody else is really filling the net.

#59 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

In 458 Red Wings games, the Franz has 144 goals and 122 assists 266 points. 'nuff said.

#60 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

In 458 Red Wings games, the Franz has 144 goals and 122 assists 266 points. 'nuff said.

In 475 Red Wings games, Cleary has 109 goals and 135 assists for 244 points. Does he get a free pass too, since his numbers are comparable? I'm sick and tired of Franzen getting a free pass because everyone wrongly assumes his numbers are great. They're good...not great. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom all have better numbers than Franzen, both playoff and regular season, and we expect each of them to bring an A game every night. If our stars don't get a pass for producing, neither should anybody else.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."