• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Post-TDT: Red Wings stand pat, no additions

Rate this topic

I am not going to say not making a move will cost us the playoffs.

I do think the fact everyone else gets players and we sit doesn't look good.

Two reasons for this; the Wings had two really great drafts in a row, and that means if there was a time to trade a bunch of picks it would be now. Secondly, the Wings demoted Franzen today and we could have used a player to fix the second line. The Sharks have beat us twice by neutralizing the first line and letting second line get beat badly by their top-six depth.

Our third line now has to worry about playing better than our top two lines in order to drive us further. I don't like the feel of that.

One last thing... if Lidstrom and Homer retires and we lose Stuart then we just blew the last shot at winning a cup in this era. It would be like when Yzerman left... we would have to rebuild and hope we can win again after 4 years or so....

No need to listen to the Holland interview as it will be an old speech pulled out and used again: "won't overpay and really, Quincey and Smith are our additions".

Pul-leeze! Every year we see this. Time with Lidstrom is running out, and this team is NOT built for 4 rounds. For Christ sakes, look at the injuries starting to accumulate while the on-ice results start going south. No one thinks a first was worth Gaustead but doing nothing???

I am pretty sure that this is the same team ( abeit Quincey) that just ran the table with a record setting 23 games at home. C'me on....this is a great team and the no one in this trade deadline got much better. We could have added some extra pieces but so could have a lot of teams.

We dont have the record that we do by being crappy

No need to listen to the Holland interview as it will be an old speech pulled out and used again: "won't overpay and really, Quincey and Smith are our additions".

Pul-leeze! Every year we see this. Time with Lidstrom is running out, and this team is NOT built for 4 rounds. For Christ sakes, look at the injuries starting to accumulate while the on-ice results start going south. No one thinks a first was worth Gaustead but doing nothing???

I wish we kept Yzerman around and parted ways with Holland.

Two reasons for this; the Wings had two really great drafts in a row, and that means if there was a time to trade a bunch of picks it would be now. Secondly, the Wings demoted Franzen today and we could have used a player to fix the second line. The Sharks have beat us twice by neutralizing the first line and letting second line get beat badly by their top-six depth.

Our third line now has to worry about playing better than our top two lines in order to drive us further. I don't like the feel of that.

One last thing... if Lidstrom and Homer retires and we lose Stuart then we just blew the last shot at winning a cup in this era. It would be like when Yzerman left... we would have to rebuild and hope we can win again after 4 years or so....

If those 3 leave, that will give us almost $13 million in cap space.

Lids won't be leaving though. :)

^^ Well said.

Sometimes you NEED to roll the dice. Take a chance. This season is a little different, as stated above. Status-quo shiuld NOT have been an option this year.

Wow, some people are REALLY taking this too far. This team wasn't struggling before the deadline by any means. With the recent news of defensive injuries, I would have bet a lot of grabbing a depth player, but that's purely so you're not scrambling if you get unlucky.

I've got faith in this team playing a lot more hockey, barring a string of injuries.

If we didn't have the cap space, I don't think I would be so disappointed, but here's what upsets me:

"Will we do something? We're going to explore," Holland told ESPN.com. "We have cap space; we structured it at the beginning of the year that way. We'd like to give our team a bit of a boost. ...

Holland made few moves in the offseason after Rafalski's retirement , because he looked forward to today. He kept that $5 million in cap space all season. And for what? By not adding any players today, the Red Wings basically sat on $5 million all season for no reason at all. It's not like we can keep that $5 million and add it to next year's cap space. We could have definitely used a rental player and given up picks for him.

Disapointed we didn't at least add a depth forward with size - I couldn't stand to see us getting out-muscled for the 3rd year in a row by San Jose.

This has the potential to be our year, the team is playing well, especially defensively and we're getting strong regular season goaltending for the first time in several seasons. Lidstrom has maybe 1 more year to go after this and we've got a large number of decent prospects, so I am disapointed we didn't do more with the assets and cap space we have.

Guest Crymson

Who's everyone? And we DID get a player.

Two reasons for this; the Wings had two really great drafts in a row, and that means if there was a time to trade a bunch of picks it would be now.

Like what? Our low second-, third-, and fourth-round picks in a weak draft? Do you think anyone would have jumped at the chance to trade for those? Did you forget that Holland DID trade away his highest pick already?

Secondly, the Wings demoted Franzen today and we could have used a player to fix the second line. The Sharks have beat us twice by neutralizing the first line and letting second line get beat badly by their top-six depth.

Like who? Did any second-line scorer get moved today?

Edited by Crymson

One thing is for sure, we need to win the Presidents Trophy if were gonna win the Cup IMO. Home ice is gonna make a huge difference, this forward group has not been able to get it done on the road the past 2 seasons. Home ice and a deeper defence (knock on wood with health issues) could change that. I'll stay positive, despite not adding, because I still believe in Howard as a Cup caliber goalie :thumbup:

I am pretty sure that this is the same team ( abeit Quincey) that just ran the table with a record setting 23 games at home. C'me on....this is a great team and the no one in this trade deadline got much better. We could have added some extra pieces but so could have a lot of teams.

We dont have the record that we do by being crappy

Nobody is saying the wings are crappy. The frustration is that the competition got a little tougher to play against, we are not doing well on the road & we are beginning to see the impact of injuries. We are not built for playoff hockey & will not survive. Sorry, we didn't improve when we could have.

One thing is for sure, we need to win the Presidents Trophy if were gonna win the Cup IMO. Home ice is gonna make a huge difference, this forward group has not been able to get it done on the road the past 2 seasons. Home ice and a deeper defence (knock on wood with health issues) could change that. I'll stay positive, despite not adding, because I still believe in Howard as a Cup caliber goalie :thumbup:

Second seed will keep us away from Vancouver until the conference finals, assuming they don't get bumped off by a Cinderella team.

St. Louis just needs to stop winning.

Wow, some people are REALLY taking this too far. This team wasn't struggling before the deadline by any means. With the recent news of defensive injuries, I would have bet a lot of grabbing a depth player, but that's purely so you're not scrambling if you get unlucky.

I've got faith in this team playing a lot more hockey, barring a string of injuries.

I agree.

In order to win the Stanley Cup, you have to have some puck luck, be healthy, and skilled. The Wings are one of the top teams in the NHL so they have the skill, but the key will always be health and puck luck.

Guest Crymson

Nobody is saying the wings are crappy. The frustration is that the competition got a little tougher to play against, we are not doing well on the road & we are beginning to see the impact of injuries. We are not built for playoff hockey & will not survive. Sorry, we didn't improve when we could have.

Since you've a crystal ball, can you tell me who will win the Cup and in how many games? I'd like to place some bets in Vegas.

so, San Jose, Vancouver, Chicago and Nashville upgrade.. Lets hope Detroit can stay healthy for the duration of the season and playoffs. 8 defensemen suddenly turned into 6 (Commodore/Erricsson) ..and now reading Quincey and Lidstrom didnt practice.