• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Post-TDT: Red Wings stand pat, no additions

Rate this topic

Even if we don't win it this year there's an offseason with good cap space and Stuart is most likely gone and Holmstrom may be gone. I see Lidstrom coming back but it will definitely be his last year. There's plenty of money to go for some good free agents and we didn't get rid of any good prospects.

Holland made few moves in the offseason after Rafalski's retirement , because he looked forward to today. He kept that $5 million in cap space all season. And for what? By not adding any players today, the Red Wings basically sat on $5 million all season for no reason at all. It's not like we can keep that $5 million and add it to next year's cap space. We could have definitely used a rental player and given up picks for him.

Holland has been keeping us under Cap for this coming off season, when a lot of players will go UFA and we won't lose any depth picking them up. As for a rental player this year, before the Commodore deal we would have had to trade someone with a contract with those picks, and after the deal I haven't seen anyone I would want at the prices they went for, and from what I was hearing all day on the TSN Tradecenter stream the prices for anyone who I think the Wings could have used, like Ott, was way to high for what we would be getting in return.

As disappointing as this deadline has been, I believe the Standings and the NHL's 3 point system is to blame. As of right now there are so many teams in the Hunt cause of Overtime losses and the extra point it lowers the sellers and drives the prices up.

Three Point System__________________Two Points System

Capitals - 1 pt______________________ Florida - 2 pts

Leafs -3 pts ________________________ Leafs - 2 pts

Lightning - 6 pts____________________Tampa - 4 pts

Sabres - 6 pts_______________________Sabres - 6 pts

Islanders - 8pts _____________________Islanders - 8 pts

LA - 2 pts___________________________Avs - 0 pts

Avs - 2 pts__________________________LA - 8 pts

Flames - 3 pts______________________Flames - 8 pts

Wild - 5 pts ________________________Wild - 8 pts

Ducks 6 pts ________________________Ducks - 10 pts

Picture3-1.png

I believe that if the standings were in a 2 point system that teams like Calgary, Anaheim, Minnasota and LA might be more willing to sell. Im also still very surprised that NYI wasnt in a selllers mode

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Facts from this season so far :

Detroit still has holes to fill.

Cleary, Franzen, And Hudler.

Franzen is just too inconsistent.

Cleary started out okay, and now he's back from injury so time will tell how many games it takes for him to find his stride again.

Hudler is having a better season than last..but still not on pace to reach career high in points. Also seems like he scores more in games that Detroit loses.

Our top scorers may not reach 20 goals this season (Datsyuk and Zetterberg)

These are all facts. Topics of conversation.. If I was Holland.. I'd prepare to shake things up this offseason. But i'm not Holland, so I guess we'll see what goes down. Who knows, maybe they win a cup?

Guest stinky fish taco

I don't know who will win, but I know Detroit won't. Let me know when they hit 500 on the road.

they won't even make it to the finals. i'd put money on it.

Who's everyone? And we DID get a player.

Like what? Our low second-, third-, and fourth-round picks in a weak draft? Do you think anyone would have jumped at the chance to trade for those? Did you forget that Holland DID trade away his highest pick already?

Like who? Did any second-line scorer get moved today?

1. Sharks, Nashville,Canucks, Blackhawks, Nashville, Canucks and Nashville. You know, the rivals. They added people.

We added Quincey and not today, your taking-everything-literally s*** is pissing me off.

Hmmm, I seem to recall some players were moved for combinations of 2nd's 3rd's and 4's. Phallson was moved for two forths. So shut up if you can't take what I wrote and don't have a real response. He would have helped us win faceoffs. Sure we didn't have the first to get Gaustad, nor would I have been happy giving a first for him. I wasn't happy giving a first for Quincey. You should get more for a first.

I was simply stating that this wasn't a good year for us to sit on the sidelines. I would have gladly given every pick in our draft this year for a difference maker on the second line. It wasn't there, that doesn't mean anyone has the right to say that someone else can't be upset. Seriously, you seem to get far too much joy wagging your finger at other people saying you are stupid.

Cody Hodgson got moved today. I am not saying we needed to make a move like that, I am just saying that this was our need. If Holland made an effort to investigate trades, then I am happy.

THAT WAS THE POINT OF MY POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holland said it himself. He targeted 4 guys, and other teams got them. I don't really think any of those four were drastic overpayment but Gaustad.

Since you don't ever understand the point of my posts, you should prob just stop reading them. There is an ignore poster function. You should look into it if you can't deal with a reasonable and calm criticism of the deadline. It isn't much like I am yelling ZOMG HOLLAND SHOULD BE TEH FIRED!!!!! <_<

The point was this would have been the year to go for it. I don't care that we didn't because we have great prospects.

Yet, if they lose to the Sharks again... this could be it for our window of winning.

EDIT: I would have even felt better if we got Rolston. At least he once had a one-timer. He could have been had for free a while ago.

Edited by Majsheppard

Nobody is saying the wings are crappy. The frustration is that the competition got a little tougher to play against, we are not doing well on the road & we are beginning to see the impact of injuries. We are not built for playoff hockey & will not survive. Sorry, we didn't improve when we could have.

This is exactly what I was saying, yet apparently it is North Korea over here. Suggesting that Ken Holland didn't lift a car over his head and save a dying baby isn't exactly saying that he is a failure or anything.

This day is just frustrating because we WANT to take a great team and get better. It feels like we just are the same and every time we might change the team there is some anxiety. We just normally have some excitement drown out the anxiety.

Look at it this way, when we traded for Hasek... there was anxiety, because you are giving up something to swing for the fences. It could have ended really poorly, but there was excitement in the city that could be felt. The anxiety was drown out by the excitement.

When you set aside a day, spend all your time watching, reading, listening to trade rumors and talks... then you see the smoke settle and nothing happens... you still have anxiety, you just don't have any excitement because you didn't perceive the team as better.

bottom line:

No one will get excited for having the same thing they had yesterday.

I always hate when people complain about non-moves. I don't feel like most people are complaining, they just feel worried that we are missing something.

A top-six guy wasn't to be had... we might regret not overpaying, and we might have regretted overpaying. Take it as it comes, and just deal with the anxiety as best as you can until the Wings are playing again and it begins to fade. Oh well, it isn't the worst until some fools start accusing you of being foolish for not agreeing with them :D

I am not happy...I am mad. I don't care. There are players that were available out there that would have made this team better and Holland refuses to do a thing.

At what price the future of the team. To many buyers not enough sellers drove prices unreasonable high paying 1st round draft picks for rental players. No thanks

So what is Plan B?

I understand that the Red Wings did not want to overpay for anyone but they stated before the trade deadline they were looking at 2 things:

1. A top 6 scorer

2. A bottom 6 grit player

Now they have neither.

So what is Plan B? Is moving Franzen to the 3rd line an effort to turn him into a grit player since he apparently has no interest in scoring goals? Or maybe Emmerton will decide to now play with reckless abandon and hit everyone and everything on the ice? How about Hudler - all that MMA training over the Summer should have taught him to be a grittier player, or at least someone who knows that the most damage is done when the other player is on his back. So take the other guy done and get to work!

And whom do we now count on to fill a top 6 scorers role - any of the GR kids ready to step in and light it up? Nyquist? Tatar? Really?

Again, I understand not wanting to overpay but the 2 things you said you were lacking are still lacking. You just cannot use the excuse that new players were too expensive. Red Wings need to make some adjustments, either personnel wise or attitude wise.

I think we all are waiting.

Red Wings have as good of shot at the cup as anyone, I'm happy they didn't overpay for anyone. We got a top 4 defenseman that will be here for years, and the Red Wings have confidence that Brendan Smith will be able to step up and play starting soon.

The cap room wasn't just banked up and saved for the deadline, but rather the offseason when we'll be able to get an even better player for free without having to give up the farm.

Wings are an older team, they really need to keep young kids and picks right now, unless they go after a younger player that would be here for a while, and those players aren't usually traded at the deadline.

Holland failed today. He said over the summer that he wasn't going after big UFA's because he wanted to keep the cap for the trade deadline. Everyone on here said, no biggie that he didn't sign nobody now he can address our issues at the trade deadline. No here is the deadline, he failed to address our issues. Even the guys he targeted did not address our issues. Quincey does not address our issues. Now Holland is saying as well as you guys, he will adress our issues over the summer, which is what we heard last year at this time when no trades were made and then what happened over the summer? Exactly....

This team will not win the Cup. It is too inconsistent. Datsyuk can't do everything for you. Off season will come (way too soon) and Holland will be more focused on overpaying Lidstrom & Hudler (guarnatee he gives Lidstrom over $6M again and Hudler at least $4M) he won't even sniff Parise or Suter. So here is our team next season...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.275m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.250m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($4.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,892,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,407,956

he'll keep the $4.4M for help at the deadline again in 2013 :hysterical:

Today was Strike 1 for Holland, he will say he wants to improve on draft day that will be Strike 2, then he will yap about July 1st. Strike 3. EVERY YEAR!

I don't get why so many people keep bringing up our cap space as a reason that a move should've been made. I didn't see many salary dumps today, did anyone else? It's not as if we could walk into the CBJ offices and say "Hey there, fella. Let me take Nash's cap hit off your hands, and here, I'll throw in an Emmerton. We've got plenty of cap wiggle room." That cap space is only useful in two scenarios: 1) a seller wants to dump salary (didn't happen today) or 2) we use it to pick up a high priced R/UFA in the offseason.

Would I have liked to see some movement in Detroit today? Sure, who wouldn't have? But the prices being asked in terms of picks were just way beyond what the assets being delivered were worth. The cap space we have available was a complete non-factor.

Edited by Uncle Danny

After what I saw today, I'm glad the wings didn't do much. Granted we most likely aren't gonna win a cup this year, but who knows in playoffs anything can happen. I'm looking forward to July 1st with guys available like Parise, Suter, maybe Webber that kinda talent is far more superior to the guys out there today for just rentals, well except Nash.

I kinda miss the days with no cap and monster trades. What a boring deadline.

I agree I miss the old NHL Draft Day used to be fun it was like Christmas never knowing what we would get. The parity in the league I think has ruined the league and it will never be the same.

trade deadline day = ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

All I know is that we're going to need a whole lotta' luck to make a deep push this year; if we aren't 100% healthy throughout the playoffs then forget it. No way can this team go through a Western Conference gauntlet (Chicago, San Jose, Vancouver). The best we can hope for at this point is a cup-cake opponent in the first round; all while the other beasts in the West (hopefully) face-off against each other early on.

Red Wings have as good of shot at the cup as anyone, I'm happy they didn't overpay for anyone. We got a top 4 defenseman that will be here for years, and the Red Wings have confidence that Brendan Smith will be able to step up and play starting soon.

The cap room wasn't just banked up and saved for the deadline, but rather the offseason when we'll be able to get an even better player for free without having to give up the farm.

Wings are an older team, they really need to keep young kids and picks right now, unless they go after a younger player that would be here for a while, and those players aren't usually traded at the deadline.

...but alas, that is what he said it was banked up for, that is why he didn't go for a larger UFA last July...how many times you going to listen to his garbage and rhetoric?

He will not get Parise or Suter over the summer. He will not trade for Nash or anyone. He will draft small skilled forwards. He will tell us that "We kicked the tires, made some inquiries, but in the end we felt there wasn't anyone out there that would help our team..." God DAMN I am tired of hearing it! Overpay, just once Holland, show your team that you WANT TO ******* WIN! Your team is so inconsistent that they are going to lose 1st in the central, they may even get passed by Nashville too! You cannot win on the road, your powerplay is horrendous, now your home play has gotten abysmal, even the last three wins there were nothing to write home about...I am even betting that they lose in Columbus tomorrow...99% sure.

Get ready: Bertuzzi, Hudler, Helm, Quincey & Abdelkader are going to be his signing's. Same team, same result. f*** I am pissed!

...but alas, that is what he said it was banked up for, that is why he didn't go for a larger UFA last July...how many times you going to listen to his garbage and rhetoric?

He will not get Parise or Suter over the summer. He will not trade for Nash or anyone. He will draft small skilled forwards. He will tell us that "We kicked the tires, made some inquiries, but in the end we felt there wasn't anyone out there that would help our team..." God DAMN I am tired of hearing it! Overpay, just once Holland, show your team that you WANT TO ******* WIN! Your team is so inconsistent that they are going to lose 1st in the central, they may even get passed by Nashville too! You cannot win on the road, your powerplay is horrendous, now your home play has gotten abysmal, even the last three wins there were nothing to write home about...I am even betting that they lose in Columbus tomorrow...99% sure.

Get ready: Bertuzzi, Hudler, Helm, Quincey & Abdelkader are going to be his signing's. Same team, same result. f*** I am pissed!

U mad bro?

Dude, you should seriously consider unplugging and getting a spa treatment come UFA day this summer. From what I've seen today and last July, you're going to blow a vessel one of these deadlines.