Matt

Post-TDT: Red Wings stand pat, no additions

Rate this topic

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Franzen

Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler

Cleary - Helm - Miller

Mursak - Abdelkader - Eaves

Be honest, how awesome is that?

Alot better then whatever our forwards will probably look like. In light of not adding a depth forward, I really miss Eaves now.

I know sometimes we would like to see our team make a splash and grab a 'name'. But I am also in favor of that saying, " sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make", and I believe Holland showed his ability as a great GM in this league. He is able to not get that tunnel vision and overpay for players, and get into pissing contests with other teams.

Nobody is saying the wings are crappy. The frustration is that the competition got a little tougher to play against, we are not doing well on the road & we are beginning to see the impact of injuries. We are not built for playoff hockey & will not survive. Sorry, we didn't improve when we could have.

I completely understand and I too feel like we " missed the boat" on some talent, especially in a year that we have cap room. I just feel like it was a really tough trade deadline and teams were expecting ridiculous amounts for third liners...thats all. I obviously want this team to get better but its not like we are rooting for Columbus or something! We have a on of talent and atthe end of the day, we are still a great team!

Cleary - Helm - Miller

Not awesome enough the last two years.

I'll never forgive Holland for this. And here I was posting pictures of Iginla and Parros all over LGW for several months. :(

Edited by GMRwings1983

No one is panicking, but some are dissatisfied. Indeed, arguably no teams did improve, including the Wings who have lost in the second round two years running. Some fans seem to be satisfied with that; I am not one. There have been opportunities to improve the team with the resources we have, and I don't think Holland capitalized on them appropriately.

Me too/either. We've become spoiled with our expectations but , with reason. And I'd rather miss the playoffs on occasion but have better runs at the cup due to making some changes. My yearly post, thank you.

Nothing, but they are coming fast as is Nashville...Detroit slumping at home, Datsyuk out, defensemen hurt, horrible road team, unmotivated forwards in the top 6. There is no doubt, St. Louis will pass us up.

The Blues have been close all season. I don't think just because Holland didn't make a move today that is suddenly going to propel St. Louis ahead of the Red Wings despite everything you listed. The Blues have a lot of road games remaining and they are just as bad away from home than Detroit. The Red Wings are still the best team in the division. Would adding Paul Gaustad today have been the deal-breaker to winning the Central?

They didn't get one damn thing but they don't seem to have a problem getting guys to compete every night. They as are the Preds and the Nucks very hungrey teams. We needed some of that injected into this line up.

Fair enough. The Blues do play very hard every night, but the Red Wings will ramp up their intensity when it counts. It may be frustrating for us to watch as a fanbase, but the regular season isn't going to fire up a bunch of veterans that have gone deep into the playoffs for a large portion of their careers. The Blues have their flaws too: the biggest one being they don't score many goals and that wasn't addressed for them at the deadline. My main point is that I don't understand the mentality that doing nothing today is going to cost the Red Wings the division. They are two points from being the best team in the league. This is a very good hockey team as constructed. I would have preferred a move today as well, but the extreme doom-and-gloom is an overreaction.

Cleary - Helm - Miller

That lineup is great if they are healthy and Cup hungry. The two or three that mail it in will be what kills the team. Can they beat The Sharks and the Canucks? Maybe but odds are against them after today.

Guest Crymson

This year the finals will be Canucks/Rangers with the Canucks finally winning the Stanley Cup. You can take that to the bank.

Okay. Because you're so sure, I'll bet you $100 on 100 to one odds. If I win, I get ten thousand dollars. Deal? Or maybe if you lose you get to take a picture of yourself with a giant "I was completely wrong" sign and post it on here. Which do you prefer?

Me too/either. We've become spoiled with our expectations but , with reason. And I'd rather miss the playoffs on occasion but have better runs at the cup due to making some changes. My yearly post, thank you.

Well, you're not running a business, and Holland and Ilitch are. A team makes more money if it competes on a yearly basis.

Guest Crymson

Nothing, but they are coming fast as is Nashville...Detroit slumping at home, Datsyuk out, defensemen hurt, horrible road team, unmotivated forwards in the top 6. There is no doubt, St. Louis will pass us up.

And it's LeftWinger's annual deadline freakout. This has become something of a board tradition.

Edited by Crymson

I'm sure you could come up with reasons why every team will lose. It's far easier to predict that a team will lose in the playoffs. Come back when you can tell me which team will win.

Specifically Detroit will loose because they will play very hard during the regular season, with the regular season rules and be physically beat up to start them. When the playoffs begin the ref's will swallow the whistle (as they ALWAYS DO)Zetta will be cross checked into explaining that he played hurt most of the playoffs. Danny Cleary will give it all he has but will crack a rib falling off his chair trying to stand up to someone, Dats will be slashed & waked by a meaningless player & hurt his wrist (Any of this sound familiar? I believe Mule, Howard, Quincy, Lids and Stuart will have great 6 games, but they are done. It takes more out of them to take the pounding then the bigger clubs. I also be they kill themselves trying to secure home ice throughout, Sorry Vanc., Nashville, (SJ (built for play offs)will show them the way to their T time. Doesn't make me happy. I genuinely appreciate the team. My ***** is with Holland. That said I appreciate the team even Kenny. I am just appreciating the boy scout philosophy less & less each year.

Not trying to piss anyone off. Just venting and disappointed. Justified or not it feels like my hockey season is over. Part of what I enjoy is the strategy of building the teams.

I hope Kenny can relax tonight, crack open a Zima & watch the bachelor or whatever she likes.......

Has anyone else noticed the extreme decline of Henrik Zetterberg since the cup run in 08'? Mentally I'm sure he's giving 110 percent, but it seems as though his body can only give about 60-70 percent. Holland was right by standing pat today. He was also right by ditching Commie and allowing Smith to get a taste. Its the next few years we should be looking into. Franzen is not cutting it. Fact. Our centers are in place, Datsyuk, Fillpula, Helm, Emmerton. Our defense, Kronwall, Quincey, Kindle, Smith with Stuart and Lidstrom a question mark for next year. Our wingers are the Wings biggest ailment. Bertuzzi, Abdelkader, Miller, Zetterberg are safe. That leaves Hudler, Franzen, Cleary, Eaves, Mursak and Holmstrom (whos most likely playing his last season) Its great to have depth...but depth means nothing when no one is producing...it means you have a surplus of underachievers. Out of those names, Hudler deserves credit on turning his game back around this season. I'm anxious to see how the lineup changes over the coarse of the next few seasons. IMO we need 2 top six wingers and a defenseman or two depending on Lidstrom and Stuart.

So I've been away at work all day and the initial disappointment of expecting a signing and not getting one has worn off. Looking back I realize we hype up trade day for entertainment more than anything else. So on that front the deadline was yet another bust.

But honestly, it was such a low key day that nobody really got better. Nashville MIGHT have...but that's a BIG question mark. Everybody else is just as good as they were yesterday, but the Wings did improve on defense, and defense wins championships.

Obviously we still have a weak fourth line, but that can be rectified by calling up talent (hopefully) from GR. And out top 6 is still questionable...but they always turn it on come playoffs.

So I can see why Holland, not seeing a must-have deal, would want to roll with "luck." As long as the team stays healthy (which you can only do so much to protect against) this team can win the Cup.

So in short, while I'm disappointed we didn't address our forward needs, it wasn't a total loss, and it's further offset by no other team getting better, either.

And I refuse to buy the garbage that this team can't win the Cup because it's the same as last year. No one in their right mind would say the Wings really lost in '10. And last year they turned a series around and came a single goal short of winning the second round. And at the time all the talk was about how if the Wings made it past the Sharks they would go straight to the finals. So yeah, I think with a chip on their shoulder and more depth at D this team can win the Cup, because the last two years were strange flukes, especially 2010.

So the league I say: bring it.

Edited by VM1138

Any chance the Wings will have a similar resurgence from GR like Darren Helm in '08?

Maybe Joakim Andersson provides unexpected solidification to the 4th line?

I actually would prefer Tatar, he is gritty enough to play on the 4th line and he has good upside.

Our crop of forwards helped us win 23 straight home games, i don't see where there is a need there, you aren't factoring in that there is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE amount of parity in the league. If you don't like it then ***** about the 3 pt system and the salary cap and not about Holland.

Hey that's what I did! Lol

Has anyone else noticed the extreme decline of Henrik Zetterberg since the cup run in 08'? Mentally I'm sure he's giving 110 percent, but it seems as though his body can only give about 60-70 percent. Holland was right by standing pat today. He was also right by ditching Commie and allowing Smith to get a taste. Its the next few years we should be looking into. Franzen is not cutting it. Fact. Our centers are in place, Datsyuk, Fillpula, Helm, Emmerton. Our defense, Kronwall, Quincey, Kindle, Smith with Stuart and Lidstrom a question mark for next year. Our wingers are the Wings biggest ailment. Bertuzzi, Abdelkader, Miller, Zetterberg are safe. That leaves Hudler, Franzen, Cleary, Eaves, Mursak and Holmstrom (whos most likely playing his last season) Its great to have depth...but depth means nothing when no one is producing...it means you have a surplus of underachievers. Out of those names, Hudler deserves credit on turning his game back around this season. I'm anxious to see how the lineup changes over the coarse of the next few seasons. IMO we need 2 top six wingers and a defenseman or two depending on Lidstrom and Stuart.

He had 80 pts. last year and was top 10 or 15 in the league in scoring...so no, I haven't noticed a steady decline since 2008. Strangely enough, I have noticed a proliferation of reactionary commentators on this thread since about 3:00 p.m. though.

Edited by kipwinger

I heard Holland on 97.1 the ticket about 40 minutes after the deadline. The overall tone of what he had to say was that of disappointment. He said things like, "i really wish i was sitting here talking about a couple guys we picked up, but it just didn't happen." I think Kenny himself expected more out of this deadline. Seeing a guy like pahlsson picked up for a couple 4th rounders, even something like that would have been a nice addition. It was nice picking up Quincey, but i am pretty disappointed that we didn't pick up a right handed winger, especially with the cap situation. I think we've got a good team but im not sure its geared for a playoff run. There are guys whom, over the last few years have shown inconsistencies when they playoffs roll around.

Edited by Xraymind7781

Wah!

I'm starting to like when "bad" things happen to the Wings, just for the comically absurd over-reactions from some of the "fans".

The fan in me of course wants to see the Wings win it all to prove the pessimists wrong, I just hate that they'd get to enjoy the victory as well. A small part of me wants them to lose in the 1st round, but that would: (A) suck, and (B) prove them right. Though it is what the pessimists deserve. A smaller part of me hopes they make it to the finals, take a 3-0 lead in the series then blow it. Get everyone back on the bandwagon then crush all their dreams. That would just be too horrible for the rest of us though.

What I'd really like to see is some stakes. Those who refuse to put any faith in this team are just cowards. Too afraid to believe in our chances, because it'd be too much of a letdown if we don't win (and too be honest, there's a better chance that we'll lose, though I would also say that for every team). Get out some of the anger now, knowing there's still a chance they could be wrong and if they are, they get to celebrate. They can't take a risk. Can't ride the bandwagon because they're too afraid to get hurt if it crashes.

It takes a lot more spine to say that we are good enough, even if we admit that we're not as good as we hoped. We may not be the odds-on favorite, though you can't really say we aren't yet either. We are one of several teams that have a legitimate shot. Cowards just can't risk being disappointed and wrong, so they have to stomp down their expectations so they're either right or happy to be wrong. Gutless.

The stakes I'd like to see: If you don't think the Wings have what it takes, and we get past the 2nd round, you're not allowed to watch the remainder of the playoffs. (Not even other teams or highlights, or check any scores, news, etc...) Come back toward the end of June, and if we won the Cup, no celebrating. You have to spend the next season rooting for the Jackets or Islanders or some other crap team, and you must hold them to the same standard you hold the Wings (anything short of a Cup is a failure). A year of penance and and apology. Then we'll welcome you back.

Guest Crymson

How come Holland was willing to overpay for that oaf Ericsson, but wasn't willing to overpay for someone at the deadline?

If this is a bonafide question, it's one of the least intelligent you've ever asked. I'll answer it regardless: paying Ericsson that salary did not necessitate giving up roster players, prospects or draft picks.

While I wanted to see some improvement in our bottom six, other than the Pahlsson deal, the prices really did seem to be too high. I hope we'll give some of the younger guys like Tatar a chance to play, because our 4th line is dreadful as it is right now.

The hype around some of these lower level players this year was unreal. It always surprises me how these players get overrated by fans and GMs alike. I'm having flashbacks to Brendan Witt.

I don't think anyone made any big improvements. I'm not too impressed with the moves by San Jose or Chicago. Nashville made some good moves, but I don't think they were anything that put them over the top. I'm scratching my head a bit when it comes to the Hodgson deal by Vancouver. I don't know anything about the guy they got in return.

I would be ok with this deadline if we will try to somehow strengthen from within. The only thing I do not like about our team in the play-offs is our 4th line. Emmerton and Mursak are completely useless. Will Eaves be back soon? Accorrding to the recent reports this is not the case. Thus, I would call up Tatar and Nyquist and try to play them letting Emmerton and Mursak to sit. I would play them in first three lines making Miller-Helm-Abdelkader our fourth line....

I'm scratching my head a bit when it comes to the Hodgson deal by Vancouver. I don't know anything about the guy they got in return.

A big overhyped forward they drafted 13th overall. Nothing special.