• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Post-TDT: Red Wings stand pat, no additions

Rate this topic

franzen gets hot in the playoffs like he did in '08 watch out. anything can happen in the playoffs. franzen is pretty much a ppg player in the playoffs, the 3rd line is great, flip is better. z may just get real hot at the right time. and don't forget how far kronwall has come as well as howard.

howard alone could swing a series our way. especially against the nucks. he doesn't like the nucks. and who is sj's goalie again? and then there is that choker in vancouver....roberto. so yeah. this could be a special year. you guys just have to have faith.

I would be ok with this deadline if we will try to somehow strengthen from within. The only thing I do not like about our team in the play-offs is our 4th line. Emmerton and Mursak are completely useless. Will Eaves be back soon? Accorrding to the recent reports this is not the case. Thus, I would call up Tatar and Nyquist and try to play them letting Emmerton and Mursak to sit. I would play them in first three lines making Miller-Helm-Abdelkader our fourth line....

A big overhyped forward they drafted 13th overall. Nothing special.

Mursak > Emmerton > Holmstrom.

The 4th isn't great, but they've been defensively responsible, so that is one tick to them. I wish Holmstrom took less penalties, Emmerton touched the puck, and Mursak had more confidence, but other than that...

I know very little to nothing about running a business, but you don't make a deal just to make a deal for the sake of it or only to win everything NOW. If it were only about winning now with any financial considerations involved, deals could be made out the wazoo.

Some of you would put a sports organization out of business if all you wanted to do was get the flavor of the week or month. I get wanting to get better or getting a great player, but at what cost for the long term? Again I want to win every year, but there are financial considerations involved for the long term. Some of your reactions around this time of year are absolutely out of your minds and you completely forget that this team, while with its flaws (like every other team that will have weaknesses), is still one of the best in the league. You all know who you are. And for some, it's the same absurd overreactions every year just wanting this new flavor of the month mentality.

Now, I already know I will likely get a response back, snooty or civil in some form that'll go like, "Well you must like the Wings exiting in the 2nd round or early in the playoffs then." No, I don't. You can look at it the glass-half-empty way thinking that the Wings are f'ed and won't go far. If it were a few seasons ago where they almost had trouble making the playoffs all together, I might be with you, but that's not the case. They are all but in now and still have a good chance of being one of the top seeds.

I like looking at it half-full, not in a homerish nothing is wrong with the team way, but that they were just 1 win away from at the very worst going to the conference finals last year. If they would've advanced, then who knows. Given that, and that there is just so much parity in the league and the teams being so good where almost no matchup whether it is 1-8 or 4-5 is a slam dunk prediction saying one team will likely definitely win, I still like the Wings chances of making a deep run. The roster isn't that much different from last season's team and if they can avoid the injury bug and bring their hard hats to work and match the other teams intensity/desparation, they win more often than they lose.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

It seems like a three game losing streak, along with van and sj making small moves while we made little, activated panic mode in some people

get a grip, some of you people are ridic

Get used to it lol

I would be ok with this deadline if we will try to somehow strengthen from within. The only thing I do not like about our team in the play-offs is our 4th line. Emmerton and Mursak are completely useless. Will Eaves be back soon? Accorrding to the recent reports this is not the case. Thus, I would call up Tatar and Nyquist and try to play them letting Emmerton and Mursak to sit. I would play them in first three lines making Miller-Helm-Abdelkader our fourth line....

A big overhyped forward they drafted 13th overall. Nothing special.

I've thought Mursak has been good lately. He's fast, forechecks hard, disrupts the opposition's transition game, and handles/distributes the puck well in the offensive zone. While I agree the fourth line isn't great, I think it's considerably better than it was without Mursak. I'd still like to see Eaves back though.

The biggest problem with these uneventful deadline days (that we have all become accustomed to) is that we will never know for sure whose tires Holland kicked and what other GM's wanted for particular players, so people are always going to speculate and criticize, and nobody will know if that criticism is legitimate or not. I mean, I really wanted a player like Matt Martin, to add legitimate toughness to our fourth line. Did Holland "kick his tires"? Probably not, but I don't know, and it's easy for me to assume that he didn't without really knowing. Maybe he did and the Islanders wanted too much ... in Holland's opinion, at least. And that is another problem: we will never know what Holland's idea of "too much" was. We all have our own opinions of particular players' value, and what WE would be willing to give up, but it's probably not the same as Holland's. I also made it clear that I wanted Jeff Carter, to add a right-handed sniper to our pretty basic, one-dimensional, inconsistent PP, and I did not care about his perceived "character" issues. But was Holland interested in him? Again, probably not, but I don't know.

So basically, we have to assume that Holland did everything he could to try and improve Detroit, but the price was just "too high"(for him). Am I happy? Of coarse not, but what can I do? And believe me, I am not a Kenny Holland apologist; I'm actually one of his biggest critics. But I also understand that there were just a handful of sellers this year, and names like Nash were just too expensive. I would have LOVED to of gotten a little grittier and to of added a top-6 forward like Vanek, but what did Buffalo want for a player like Vanek, and were they even willing to trade him? We'll never know for sure. Anaheim might of been an interesting team yesterday, but unfortunately they got hot at the wrong time(for the league, at least). Parity has put an end to those entertaining arms races of the past. Everybody is in the playoff race.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. That has basically been my maxim these last three seasons. Detroit is weak in a lot of areas, but you just have to hope they can overcome them.

Again, I am not a content, happy camper; I'm PISSED! But?? And remember, there is always that chance that Hudler might finally show up in the playoffs. Hey, don't laugh, it could happen.

Edited by Hairy Lime

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler

Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

Cleary-Emmerton-Mursak (Holmstrom)

Lidstrom-White

Kronnwal-Stuart

Ericsson-Quincey (Kindl)

Howard (joey Mac)

.......Moving on from no additions I like what we have here and believe as well as they do we can go all they way. I hope everyone gets/stays healthy down the strech here and cant wait for june :thumbup: LGW

Vancouver did not get better by adding 11 points on the year Sammy Pahlsson and moving away their future face of the franchise Cody Hodgson.

Actually, most Vancouver fans are pissed about this deadline.

And are people really saying Holland will make 'excuses' like "Quincey is our deadline deal"?? Quincey WAS our deadline deal. And it was a better one than any of the teams around us did. Obviously Holland tried to do more but look at the deadline as a whole.. basically NOTHING happened.

Vancouver did not get better by adding 11 points on the year Sammy Pahlsson and moving away their future face of the franchise Cody Hodgson.

Actually, most Vancouver fans are pissed about this deadline.

And are people really saying Holland will make 'excuses' like "Quincey is our deadline deal"?? Quincey WAS our deadline deal. And it was a better one than any of the teams around us did. Obviously Holland tried to do more but look at the deadline as a whole.. basically NOTHING happened.

I think everybody (including Holland) realized we needed more scoring up front, and maybe (I don't agree with this but many do) a little grit on the bottom six. But considering nothing much was available for the price, it never hurts to shore up your defense before the playoffs. No matter how you look at it, the pair of Ericsson and Quincey is considerably better than Ericsson/Kindl or Ericsson/Commodore. As a matter of fact, even Quincey/Kindl is better than Ericsson/Kindl. So no matter how you look at it, we're a better team now (injuries aside) than we were two weeks ago.

Long story short...I agree with you.

Edited by kipwinger

Or maybe Ken Holland knows something we don't. That Jiri Hudler will GO OFF and score 13 playoff goals and be in the running for Conn Smythe. Detroit will go Hudler mad!

I won't. He.could score 900 goals including the Cup clincher, i would still want him out....

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler

Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

Cleary-Emmerton-Mursak (Holmstrom)

Lidstrom-White

Kronnwal-Stuart

Ericsson-Quincey (Kindl)

Howard (joey Mac)

.......Moving on from no additions I like what we have here and believe as well as they do we can go all they way. I hope everyone gets/stays healthy down the strech here and cant wait for june :thumbup: LGW

I approve of this post.

Or maybe Ken Holland knows something we don't. That Jiri Hudler will GO OFF and score 13 playoff goals and be in the running for Conn Smythe. Detroit will go Hudler mad!

Crazier things have happened. The guys going to score 30 goals. He ain't chopped liver.

I think everybody (including Holland) realized we needed more scoring up front, and maybe (I don't agree with this but many do) a little grit on the bottom six. But considering nothing much was available for the price, it never hurts to shore up your defense before the playoffs. No matter how you look at it, the pair of Ericsson and Quincey is considerably better than Ericsson/Kindl or Ericsson/Commodore. As a matter of fact, even Quincey/Kindl is better than Ericsson/Kindl. So no matter how you look at it, we're a better team now (injuries aside) than we were two weeks ago.

Long story short...I agree with you.

No it isn't.

It's fun to hate on E, but Kindl couldn't even hold his spot in the lineup over Commodore, let alone outplay Ericsson. The fact of the matter is right now Ericsson is a superior defenseman to Kindl.

Quincey can play on the PP, pick up time on the PK, and play somewhat physical. He's basically the kind of player they're hoping Kindl becomes.

So defensively we're looking pretty good. But I'm not crazy about our 4th line. It would've been nice to bolster that a little at the deadline.

Guest Crymson

Bob Duff ‏ @asktheduffer Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

A big reason why #redwings couldn't fashion a deal Monday? Most every team wanted D Brendan Smith, and that was a non-starter.

makes sense, glad he didn't trade way smitty.

That's that, then.

If this is a bonafide question, it's one of the least intelligent you've ever asked. I'll answer it regardless: paying Ericsson that salary did not necessitate giving up roster players, prospects or draft picks.

But it necessitated 3.5 million in cap space, which could have been useful in itself. We could have used that extra cap space and then be more willing to overpay at the deadline. And throughout the season, we could have easily played Smith and Kindl on the bottom pairing, plus had guys like Commodore and now Quincey. So yeah, we didn't give up prospects or picks for Ericsson, but did give up hard cash. I figured someone with your "intelligence" could see that, instead of giving some wise ass answer.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but does anyone know what happened with Moen? What was the asking price for him?

Guest Crymson

But it necessitated 3.5 million in cap space, which could have been useful in itself. We could have used that extra cap space and then be more willing to overpay at the deadline. And throughout the season, we could have easily played Smith and Kindl on the bottom pairing, plus had guys like Commodore and now Quincey. So yeah, we didn't give up prospects or picks for Ericsson, but did give up hard cash. I figured someone with your "intelligence" could see that, instead of giving some wise ass answer.

I don't see how having extra cap space would have made trading roster players, draft picks or Brendan Smith more palatable at the trade deadline. Having a bit more cap space--not $3.25m, because Holland would certainly have signed another defenseman if not Ericsson--would not have made a whit of difference in Holland's unwillingness to pay the exorbitant prices being asked. Overpaying Ericsson by $1.5m does not, by any stretch of the imagination, equate to mortgaging part of the future for a run at the Stanley Cup. Choosing not to do so would have provided extra money for free-agent signings in the offseason, but every team needs young guys who can produce at a low price. That's the reality of the salary-cap world, and it was important in the pre-cap NHL as well.

So I rest my case.

Edited by Crymson

I don't see how having extra cap space would have made trading roster players, draft picks or Brendan Smith more palatable at the trade deadline. Having a bit more cap space--not $3.25m, because Holland would certainly have signed another defenseman if not Ericsson--would not have made a whit of difference in Holland's unwillingness to pay the exorbitant prices being asked. Overpaying Ericsson by $1.5m does not, by any stretch of the imagination, equate to mortgaging part of the future for a run at the Stanley Cup.

So no, your question made no sense whatsoever.

I don't think Holland needed to go after any other D-man if he didn't re-sign Ericsson. We brought in White to replace Rafalski, and added Commodore. Kindl was of course the man promoted, and we had Smith in the minors. We could have let Ericsson walk and been just fine for the long run, with cap space to boot if we weren't.

And here's one more for you. He overpayed for Quincey as well. Since when was a 3rd pairing defenseman worth a first round pick? So Holland shouldn't be hypocritical about not overpaying someone. He's done it over the last six months with Quincey and Ericsson. And if that's what the current market is, then it's not overpayment anymore, but the current trend. Heck, everyone seems to be overpaying. Except for Yzerman. He fleeced a good depth defensman from us for a 7th round pick.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I won't. He.could score 900 goals including the Cup clincher, i would still want him out....

Could not agree more. Hudler is a joke. Come playoff time he will be falling on ice like a snow flake. He will cough the puck up just from players skating close to him. He is slow and his accelarion is rediculous .

Oh well. Let's hope everyone stays healthy and plays with passion. If they o that, we will be ok.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Ok so Kenny can still hit a home run this summer. However he must clear some salary to do it. Hopefully the rumours of being able to buy out 1 contract and not have it count against the Cap will happen. Ericsson gets bought out. Cleary is traded for a pick. His no trade clause is no longer in effect. Sign Parise and Suter. Promote Nyquist, Tatar and Smith. Holmstrom retires. Hudler leaves as a UFA. Same with Stuart. Helm, Abdelakder and Quincey get raises as they are all RFAs. Kronwall's salary jumps to 4.75 mil. Anyway this is what I am hoping for next season...Is it realistic? I don't know. :D

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Zach Parise ($7.000m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Drew Miller ($0.837m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.300m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,132,044; BONUSES: $247,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $167,956