• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#181 wolverine1817

wolverine1817

Go Blue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

It seems like a three game losing streak, along with van and sj making small moves while we made little, activated panic mode in some people

get a grip, some of you people are ridic

#182 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

It seems like a three game losing streak, along with van and sj making small moves while we made little, activated panic mode in some people

get a grip, some of you people are ridic

Get used to it lol

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#183 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

I would be ok with this deadline if we will try to somehow strengthen from within. The only thing I do not like about our team in the play-offs is our 4th line. Emmerton and Mursak are completely useless. Will Eaves be back soon? Accorrding to the recent reports this is not the case. Thus, I would call up Tatar and Nyquist and try to play them letting Emmerton and Mursak to sit. I would play them in first three lines making Miller-Helm-Abdelkader our fourth line....

A big overhyped forward they drafted 13th overall. Nothing special.

I've thought Mursak has been good lately. He's fast, forechecks hard, disrupts the opposition's transition game, and handles/distributes the puck well in the offensive zone. While I agree the fourth line isn't great, I think it's considerably better than it was without Mursak. I'd still like to see Eaves back though.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#184 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

The biggest problem with these uneventful deadline days (that we have all become accustomed to) is that we will never know for sure whose tires Holland kicked and what other GM's wanted for particular players, so people are always going to speculate and criticize, and nobody will know if that criticism is legitimate or not. I mean, I really wanted a player like Matt Martin, to add legitimate toughness to our fourth line. Did Holland "kick his tires"? Probably not, but I don't know, and it's easy for me to assume that he didn't without really knowing. Maybe he did and the Islanders wanted too much ... in Holland's opinion, at least. And that is another problem: we will never know what Holland's idea of "too much" was. We all have our own opinions of particular players' value, and what WE would be willing to give up, but it's probably not the same as Holland's. I also made it clear that I wanted Jeff Carter, to add a right-handed sniper to our pretty basic, one-dimensional, inconsistent PP, and I did not care about his perceived "character" issues. But was Holland interested in him? Again, probably not, but I don't know.

So basically, we have to assume that Holland did everything he could to try and improve Detroit, but the price was just "too high"(for him). Am I happy? Of coarse not, but what can I do? And believe me, I am not a Kenny Holland apologist; I'm actually one of his biggest critics. But I also understand that there were just a handful of sellers this year, and names like Nash were just too expensive. I would have LOVED to of gotten a little grittier and to of added a top-6 forward like Vanek, but what did Buffalo want for a player like Vanek, and were they even willing to trade him? We'll never know for sure. Anaheim might of been an interesting team yesterday, but unfortunately they got hot at the wrong time(for the league, at least). Parity has put an end to those entertaining arms races of the past. Everybody is in the playoff race.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. That has basically been my maxim these last three seasons. Detroit is weak in a lot of areas, but you just have to hope they can overcome them.

Again, I am not a content, happy camper; I'm PISSED! But?? And remember, there is always that chance that Hudler might finally show up in the playoffs. Hey, don't laugh, it could happen.

Edited by Hairy Lime, 28 February 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#185 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader
Cleary-Emmerton-Mursak (Holmstrom)

Lidstrom-White
Kronnwal-Stuart
Ericsson-Quincey (Kindl)

Howard (joey Mac)

.......Moving on from no additions I like what we have here and believe as well as they do we can go all they way. I hope everyone gets/stays healthy down the strech here and cant wait for june :thumbup: LGW
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#186 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Vancouver did not get better by adding 11 points on the year Sammy Pahlsson and moving away their future face of the franchise Cody Hodgson.

Actually, most Vancouver fans are pissed about this deadline.

And are people really saying Holland will make 'excuses' like "Quincey is our deadline deal"?? Quincey WAS our deadline deal. And it was a better one than any of the teams around us did. Obviously Holland tried to do more but look at the deadline as a whole.. basically NOTHING happened.

#187 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

It would not surprise me in least to see the lines mixed in the playoffs.

Fillpula-datsyuk-Franzen
Abdelkader-zetterberg-hudler
Miller-Helm-clerary
Holmstrom-Emmerton-bertuzzi

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Quincy

Howard
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#188 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Vancouver did not get better by adding 11 points on the year Sammy Pahlsson and moving away their future face of the franchise Cody Hodgson.

Actually, most Vancouver fans are pissed about this deadline.

And are people really saying Holland will make 'excuses' like "Quincey is our deadline deal"?? Quincey WAS our deadline deal. And it was a better one than any of the teams around us did. Obviously Holland tried to do more but look at the deadline as a whole.. basically NOTHING happened.

I think everybody (including Holland) realized we needed more scoring up front, and maybe (I don't agree with this but many do) a little grit on the bottom six. But considering nothing much was available for the price, it never hurts to shore up your defense before the playoffs. No matter how you look at it, the pair of Ericsson and Quincey is considerably better than Ericsson/Kindl or Ericsson/Commodore. As a matter of fact, even Quincey/Kindl is better than Ericsson/Kindl. So no matter how you look at it, we're a better team now (injuries aside) than we were two weeks ago.

Long story short...I agree with you.

Edited by kipwinger, 28 February 2012 - 10:24 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#189 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Or maybe Ken Holland knows something we don't. That Jiri Hudler will GO OFF and score 13 playoff goals and be in the running for Conn Smythe. Detroit will go Hudler mad!

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#190 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Or maybe Ken Holland knows something we don't. That Jiri Hudler will GO OFF and score 13 playoff goals and be in the running for Conn Smythe. Detroit will go Hudler mad!

I won't. He.could score 900 goals including the Cup clincher, i would still want him out....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#191 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader
Cleary-Emmerton-Mursak (Holmstrom)

Lidstrom-White
Kronnwal-Stuart
Ericsson-Quincey (Kindl)

Howard (joey Mac)

.......Moving on from no additions I like what we have here and believe as well as they do we can go all they way. I hope everyone gets/stays healthy down the strech here and cant wait for june :thumbup: LGW

I approve of this post.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#192 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Crazier things have happened. The guys going to score 30 goals. He ain't chopped liver.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#193 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Bob Duff ‏ @asktheduffer Reply Retweet Favorite Open
A big reason why #redwings couldn't fashion a deal Monday? Most every team wanted D Brendan Smith, and that was a non-starter.

makes sense, glad he didn't trade way smitty.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#194 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I think everybody (including Holland) realized we needed more scoring up front, and maybe (I don't agree with this but many do) a little grit on the bottom six. But considering nothing much was available for the price, it never hurts to shore up your defense before the playoffs. No matter how you look at it, the pair of Ericsson and Quincey is considerably better than Ericsson/Kindl or Ericsson/Commodore. As a matter of fact, even Quincey/Kindl is better than Ericsson/Kindl. So no matter how you look at it, we're a better team now (injuries aside) than we were two weeks ago.

Long story short...I agree with you.

No it isn't.

It's fun to hate on E, but Kindl couldn't even hold his spot in the lineup over Commodore, let alone outplay Ericsson. The fact of the matter is right now Ericsson is a superior defenseman to Kindl.

Quincey can play on the PP, pick up time on the PK, and play somewhat physical. He's basically the kind of player they're hoping Kindl becomes.

So defensively we're looking pretty good. But I'm not crazy about our 4th line. It would've been nice to bolster that a little at the deadline.

#195 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

Bob Duff ‏ @asktheduffer Reply Retweet Favorite Open
A big reason why #redwings couldn't fashion a deal Monday? Most every team wanted D Brendan Smith, and that was a non-starter.

makes sense, glad he didn't trade way smitty.

That's that, then.

#196 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

If this is a bonafide question, it's one of the least intelligent you've ever asked. I'll answer it regardless: paying Ericsson that salary did not necessitate giving up roster players, prospects or draft picks.

But it necessitated 3.5 million in cap space, which could have been useful in itself. We could have used that extra cap space and then be more willing to overpay at the deadline. And throughout the season, we could have easily played Smith and Kindl on the bottom pairing, plus had guys like Commodore and now Quincey. So yeah, we didn't give up prospects or picks for Ericsson, but did give up hard cash. I figured someone with your "intelligence" could see that, instead of giving some wise ass answer.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but does anyone know what happened with Moen? What was the asking price for him?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#197 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

But it necessitated 3.5 million in cap space, which could have been useful in itself. We could have used that extra cap space and then be more willing to overpay at the deadline. And throughout the season, we could have easily played Smith and Kindl on the bottom pairing, plus had guys like Commodore and now Quincey. So yeah, we didn't give up prospects or picks for Ericsson, but did give up hard cash. I figured someone with your "intelligence" could see that, instead of giving some wise ass answer.

I don't see how having extra cap space would have made trading roster players, draft picks or Brendan Smith more palatable at the trade deadline. Having a bit more cap space--not $3.25m, because Holland would certainly have signed another defenseman if not Ericsson--would not have made a whit of difference in Holland's unwillingness to pay the exorbitant prices being asked. Overpaying Ericsson by $1.5m does not, by any stretch of the imagination, equate to mortgaging part of the future for a run at the Stanley Cup. Choosing not to do so would have provided extra money for free-agent signings in the offseason, but every team needs young guys who can produce at a low price. That's the reality of the salary-cap world, and it was important in the pre-cap NHL as well.

So I rest my case.

Edited by Crymson, 28 February 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#198 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't see how having extra cap space would have made trading roster players, draft picks or Brendan Smith more palatable at the trade deadline. Having a bit more cap space--not $3.25m, because Holland would certainly have signed another defenseman if not Ericsson--would not have made a whit of difference in Holland's unwillingness to pay the exorbitant prices being asked. Overpaying Ericsson by $1.5m does not, by any stretch of the imagination, equate to mortgaging part of the future for a run at the Stanley Cup.

So no, your question made no sense whatsoever.

I don't think Holland needed to go after any other D-man if he didn't re-sign Ericsson. We brought in White to replace Rafalski, and added Commodore. Kindl was of course the man promoted, and we had Smith in the minors. We could have let Ericsson walk and been just fine for the long run, with cap space to boot if we weren't.

And here's one more for you. He overpayed for Quincey as well. Since when was a 3rd pairing defenseman worth a first round pick? So Holland shouldn't be hypocritical about not overpaying someone. He's done it over the last six months with Quincey and Ericsson. And if that's what the current market is, then it's not overpayment anymore, but the current trend. Heck, everyone seems to be overpaying. Except for Yzerman. He fleeced a good depth defensman from us for a 7th round pick.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 28 February 2012 - 01:05 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#199 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

I won't. He.could score 900 goals including the Cup clincher, i would still want him out....

Could not agree more. Hudler is a joke. Come playoff time he will be falling on ice like a snow flake. He will cough the puck up just from players skating close to him. He is slow and his accelarion is rediculous .
Oh well. Let's hope everyone stays healthy and plays with passion. If they o that, we will be ok.

#200 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

It's funny how everybody always talks about how great Detroit's depth is and how awesomely they can pull good prospects out of nowhere, yet nobody seems to want any of them in a trade.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."