Photo
- - - - -

Post-TDT: Red Wings stand pat, no additions

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#221 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Here is my roster and salaries for next year if Staurt and Lids leave... Now the contracts here are typical of Holland. A bit lower salary for long term contract. (at least 5 years)

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($6.700m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Jiri Hudler ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.200m)
Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,417,044; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $882,956

...yes, I know damn well that other teams will offer Suter and Parise the world, but this is just what I would love to see and with long term guaranteed contracts, the salary difference is not to off. Of course if Lidstrom comes back, this throws either Suter or Parise out of the mix. In that case I would choose to sign Suter over Parise because you will need to replace Lidstrom sooner than later...not unless Nashville only re-ups Weber for one more season and Holland would rather get Parise now and roll the dice on Weber in 2013...

Yes, I have re-signed Hudler (hard to believe, eh?) and at a modest raise. He gets Filppula's salary for a long term contract. Helm and Abby both get modest raises for a few years each and Quincey takes a small cut, but gets a long term contract...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#222 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

I was never in favor of letting Quincey go, but I wouldn't have given up a first round pick for him, knowing that pick would give me more options at the deadline. Also, he had injury problems last year, which are something to consider.

And yes, Nashville's trade was totally stupid, but that's their problem.

We have some good prospects but no one who should be labeled as "untouchable", except for maybe Smith, since we're lacking good defensive prospects as it is. If Holland is unwilling to trade prospects, and has traded his top pick already, it's no wonder we didn't make many deals.

Or the fact a center version of a less talented Justin Abdelkader went for a first round pick might have something to do with the lack of trades
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#223 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

For people upset Holland ONLY made the Quincey deal at the deadline, I was reading that teams don't like to trade with the Red Wings. They don't want to make the Wings stronger. And I'll add, Holland wins most of the deals he makes so the other GMs probably up what their asking for when Kenny calls.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#224 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

wrong thread

Edited by kylee, 28 February 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#225 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

I guess it's convenient for you to ignore the report that every team wanted Smith as part of a deal.

I bet Smith was part of deals involving players like Nash, Carter, Roy, and Brown but Gaustad and Pahlssen? Boooools***. That's just Holland covering his ass. Again, Smith ain't the only tradeable asset on the Wings.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#226 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

I bet Smith was part of deals involving players like Nash, Carter, Roy, and Brown but Gaustad and Pahlssen? Boooools***. That's just Holland covering his ass. Again, Smith ain't the only tradeable asset on the Wings.

esteef

I think that trading good prospects for the likes of Gaustad and Pahlsson was not an option. As for Pahlsson, I'm sure the Jackets were far more keen on trading him to an extra-divisional team than to the Wings.

#227 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

1. Smith
2. Nyquist
3. Jarnkrok
4. Mrazek
5. Sheahan
6. Tatar
7. Jurco
8. Pulkkinen
9. Andersson
10. Ouellet

-Probably hang up the phone within 10 seconds unless they wow me right away in terms of offers for Smith and Nyquist.
-Probably give only %10 of my full attention for offers about Jarnkrok and Jurco.
-Probably give only %40-%50 of my full attention in regards to offers for Mrazek, Sheahan, Tatar and Ouellet.
-And I'd be open to see what's out there for Pulkkinen and Andersson.

#228 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:16 AM

1. Smith
2. Nyquist
3. Jarnkrok
4. Mrazek
5. Sheahan
6. Tatar
7. Jurco
8. Pulkkinen
9. Andersson
10. Ouellet

-Probably hang up the phone within 10 seconds unless they wow me right away in terms of offers for Smith and Nyquist.
-Probably give only %10 of my full attention for offers about Jarnkrok and Jurco.
-Probably give only %40-%50 of my full attention in regards to offers for Mrazek, Sheahan, Tatar and Ouellet.

As a rule, prospects are less valuable when they are a few years away from the NHL. Then consider that most of our prospects are high-risk/high-reward type players and the value drops even more. Smith and Nyquist are probably the only two who would bring a return in line with their potential. Sheahan is probably a safe bet to be at least a 3rd/4th line checker. Andersson likely no more than 12/13 forward in the NHL so his value is very low anyway. The rest could end up anywhere from star to bust.

So from our prespective, why give up a potential star for a 4th-liner? Or from the other team, why give up a known commodity for a potential bust? It would be one thing to include a prospect or two in a package for a star, but not for the type of role-players that were moved at the deadline.

Seems some people just wanted something to happen just for the sake of something happening (not necessarily you, just a general comment), so people see the lack of a move in the worst possible light. They hear a comment like Holland wasn't interested in moving prospects and assume it means every prospect, as if teams were lighting up Holland's phone offering quality roster players for Willie Coetzee and Kenny was just hanging up.

#229 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

1. Smith
2. Nyquist
3. Jarnkrok
4. Mrazek
5. Sheahan
6. Tatar
7. Jurco
8. Pulkkinen
9. Andersson
10. Ouellet

I understand people love Sheahan, but all the analysis I've read has him at best being a third line grinder. Those guys are a dime a dozen. Sheahan should not be listed above Tatar. Minor quibble.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#230 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

I understand people love Sheahan, but all the analysis I've read has him at best being a third line grinder. Those guys are a dime a dozen. Sheahan should not be listed above Tatar. Minor quibble.

Maybe he's highly rated within the organization because the Wings bring through fewer grinders/tough guy's than others. I'm purely guessing here since I have little, if any, knowledge about this prospect.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#231 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,155 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

I was reading that teams don't like to trade with the Red Wings. They don't want to make the Wings stronger.

True story. Granted, I tend to give him a lot of grief, and I do wish he'd done something kinda sorta vaguely :yowza: -worthy on TD-Day. But yeah.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#232 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

True story. Granted, I tend to give him a lot of grief, and I do wish he'd done something kinda sorta vaguely :yowza: -worthy on TD-Day. But yeah.

You do give him a lot of grief, such as that time at the 2008 trade deadline when you swore that you were done with the Wings after Holland didn't make any big moves.

Edited by Crymson, 29 February 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#233 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

I'm confident that the most fair ceiling for him is still 2nd line center in the mold of a Jordan Staal. I'm very hesitant to say Jordan Staals are a dime a dozen.