232 replies to this topic

#21 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

WOOW Hodgson goes to Buffalo.

Really hope Vancouver's new look screws with their chemistry.
Posted Image

#22 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

The thing that shocked me was that we essentially lost defensive depth. I would have thought someone like Lee would have been a nice target.

#23 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

This was the worst deadline market ever. NOBODY got a scoring forward, and the quality grit forwards went for a premium. I don't see why some of you are complaining. The fact that virtually no significant moves were made should indicate to you that the prices being asked for were exorbitant.

yes i agree with what your saying .... it's just dissapointing with it quite possibly being lidstroms last year and our last best chance at a cup

i hope we could call up nyquist to come with smith and give him good ice time , maybe both of them could be our deadline deal

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

I understand the need for preserving assets for the inevitability of Lidstrom retiring and our core players aging, but my initial gut reaction to the lack of a significant move today is disappointment.

There were very few significant moves made at this season's deadline, for the very good reasons that they were very few sellers and that they were charging exorbitant prices. What did you expect? Why do you think almost NOBODY made notable moves?

#25 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hodgson for Kassian? Why?

#26 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I am not going to say not making a move will cost us the playoffs.

I do think the fact everyone else gets players and we sit doesn't look good.

Two reasons for this; the Wings had two really great drafts in a row, and that means if there was a time to trade a bunch of picks it would be now. Secondly, the Wings demoted Franzen today and we could have used a player to fix the second line. The Sharks have beat us twice by neutralizing the first line and letting second line get beat badly by their top-six depth.

Our third line now has to worry about playing better than our top two lines in order to drive us further. I don't like the feel of that.

One last thing... if Lidstrom and Homer retires and we lose Stuart then we just blew the last shot at winning a cup in this era. It would be like when Yzerman left... we would have to rebuild and hope we can win again after 4 years or so....
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#27 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

No need to listen to the Holland interview as it will be an old speech pulled out and used again: "won't overpay and really, Quincey and Smith are our additions".

Pul-leeze! Every year we see this. Time with Lidstrom is running out, and this team is NOT built for 4 rounds. For Christ sakes, look at the injuries starting to accumulate while the on-ice results start going south. No one thinks a first was worth Gaustead but doing nothing???

#28 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I remember when the trade deadline was exciting... sigh.

Parity blows. I'd love to see at least trades for cash allowed again.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#29 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hodgson for Kassian? Why?

so kassian could go off on our team and try and intimidate us:(

#30 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I am pretty sure that this is the same team ( abeit Quincey) that just ran the table with a record setting 23 games at home. C'me on....this is a great team and the no one in this trade deadline got much better. We could have added some extra pieces but so could have a lot of teams.
We dont have the record that we do by being crappy
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

No need to listen to the Holland interview as it will be an old speech pulled out and used again: "won't overpay and really, Quincey and Smith are our additions".

Pul-leeze! Every year we see this. Time with Lidstrom is running out, and this team is NOT built for 4 rounds. For Christ sakes, look at the injuries starting to accumulate while the on-ice results start going south. No one thinks a first was worth Gaustead but doing nothing???

I wish we kept Yzerman around and parted ways with Holland.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#32 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I think this damn hockey season was going to interfere with golf. Not any more. Round one & off to the cabin. Well now I won't feel guilty when I stop buying that crappy pizza.

#33 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Two reasons for this; the Wings had two really great drafts in a row, and that means if there was a time to trade a bunch of picks it would be now. Secondly, the Wings demoted Franzen today and we could have used a player to fix the second line. The Sharks have beat us twice by neutralizing the first line and letting second line get beat badly by their top-six depth.

Our third line now has to worry about playing better than our top two lines in order to drive us further. I don't like the feel of that.

One last thing... if Lidstrom and Homer retires and we lose Stuart then we just blew the last shot at winning a cup in this era. It would be like when Yzerman left... we would have to rebuild and hope we can win again after 4 years or so....

If those 3 leave, that will give us almost $13 million in cap space.

Lids won't be leaving though. :)
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#34 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

^^ Well said.

Sometimes you NEED to roll the dice. Take a chance. This season is a little different, as stated above. Status-quo shiuld NOT have been an option this year.

#35 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

so kassian could go off on our team and try and intimidate us:(

Kassian was not even playing in the NHL full time when he was aquired. Its not like they just picked up Getzlaf of someone
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#36 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Wow, some people are REALLY taking this too far. This team wasn't struggling before the deadline by any means. With the recent news of defensive injuries, I would have bet a lot of grabbing a depth player, but that's purely so you're not scrambling if you get unlucky.

I've got faith in this team playing a lot more hockey, barring a string of injuries.

#37 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

just do some trades in nhl 12, you guys can pretend to be kenny :cool:
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#38 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

I will say this for sure, I am just relieved we didn't move any of our great prospects.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#39 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

LeBrun: Red Wings inquired on Gaustad but didn't have what Buffalo wanted: a 1st-round pick (dealt in Quincey deal).

#40 Textbook

Textbook

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

If we didn't have the cap space, I don't think I would be so disappointed, but here's what upsets me:

"Will we do something? We're going to explore," Holland told ESPN.com. "We have cap space; we structured it at the beginning of the year that way. We'd like to give our team a bit of a boost. ...

Holland made few moves in the offseason after Rafalski's retirement , because he looked forward to today. He kept that $5 million in cap space all season. And for what? By not adding any players today, the Red Wings basically sat on $5 million all season for no reason at all. It's not like we can keep that $5 million and add it to next year's cap space. We could have definitely used a rental player and given up picks for him.