• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#141 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Gaustad to Nashville pisses me off - especially with Vancouvers moves. Fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times shame on ...? 100% healthy our team is capable of beating any team in the NHL in a playoff series. But when was the last time we were 100% healthy in the playoffs? Gota hope for the best - but I cant help but feel a bit let down right now..

#142 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

What the hell did St. Louis acquire today that suddenly makes them better than the Red Wings?

st. louis has better goaltending and an equal coach, is that what we were supposed to go out an upgrade?
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#143 sureWhyNot

sureWhyNot

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm sure you could come up with reasons why every team will lose. It's far easier to predict that a team will lose in the playoffs. Come back when you can tell me which team will win.

This year the finals will be Canucks/Rangers with the Canucks finally winning the Stanley Cup. You can take that to the bank.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings."

- Steve Yzerman

#144 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

This year the finals will be Canucks/Rangers with the Canucks finally winning the Stanley Cup. You can take that to the bank.

Better them than the Rangers, if New York won it, we'd never hear the end of "America's Team!" "Won it for the 9/11 victims!" "Best team to ever play in the United States!" etc.....

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#145 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Agree,but did the Wings get better at the deadline?

yes they did ;)

Quincey+Smith > Commie+Kindl

This is great +1
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#146 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Holland failed today. He said over the summer that he wasn't going after big UFA's because he wanted to keep the cap for the trade deadline. Everyone on here said, no biggie that he didn't sign nobody now he can address our issues at the trade deadline. No here is the deadline, he failed to address our issues. Even the guys he targeted did not address our issues. Quincey does not address our issues. Now Holland is saying as well as you guys, he will adress our issues over the summer, which is what we heard last year at this time when no trades were made and then what happened over the summer? Exactly....

This team will not win the Cup. It is too inconsistent. Datsyuk can't do everything for you. Off season will come (way too soon) and Holland will be more focused on overpaying Lidstrom & Hudler (guarnatee he gives Lidstrom over $6M again and Hudler at least $4M) he won't even sniff Parise or Suter. So here is our team next season...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.275m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.250m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($4.000m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,892,044; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,407,956

he'll keep the $4.4M for help at the deadline again in 2013 :hysterical:

Today was Strike 1 for Holland, he will say he wants to improve on draft day that will be Strike 2, then he will yap about July 1st. Strike 3. EVERY YEAR!

Yeah! It's Holland's fault for not knowing everyone would be way overpriced at the deadline! Why not give up te future for one, unguaranteed run at the Cup?
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#147 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

*Peeks in.*

So we're panicking? Cool.

I'd have liked to pick up a scoring forward or Gaustad. We didn't. I don't think the sky is falling.

No one improved vastly from where they were. Hell, I don't think anyone improved anything more than marginally. Sammy Pahlsson? If the players we already have aren't playing well, any additions would not have made a difference anyway.

Continue your broadcast of chaos and doom.

"During Robert Langs time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#148 RedTydes

RedTydes

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

It's just unfortunate that we lose defensive depth, the same day Quincey and Lidstrom miss practice.
Posted Image

#149 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

...if New York won it, we'd never hear the end of "America's Team!" "Won it for the 9/11 victims!" "Best team to ever play in the United States!" etc.....

I don't know; I think I'd still prefer that to giving Canucks fans validation. They're insufferable now; if they won it all, I can't even imagine the magnitude of the cloud of Smug that would envelop the land...

#150 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

So we're panicking? Cool.

I'd have liked to pick up a scoring forward or Gaustad. We didn't. I don't think the sky is falling.

No one improved vastly from where they were.

No one is panicking, but some are dissatisfied. Indeed, arguably no teams did improve, including the Wings who have lost in the second round two years running. Some fans seem to be satisfied with that; I am not one. There have been opportunities to improve the team with the resources we have, and I don't think Holland capitalized on them appropriately.

Edited by Hockey Convert, 27 February 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#151 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Weird day. Trading Commie for nothing, and then not grabbing a forward doesn't make sense. Pretty steep price for Gaustad threw the prices outta whack, too bad we couldn't have grabbed Pahlsson for his price. Not comfortable with Emmerton as the 4th line center.

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Franzen
Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler
Cleary - Helm - Miller
Mursak - Abdelkader - Eaves

Be honest, how awesome is that?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#152 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Cleary - Helm - Miller

Alot better then whatever our forwards will probably look like. In light of not adding a depth forward, I really miss Eaves now.

#NOMOREKINDL

#153 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

I know sometimes we would like to see our team make a splash and grab a 'name'. But I am also in favor of that saying, " sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make", and I believe Holland showed his ability as a great GM in this league. He is able to not get that tunnel vision and overpay for players, and get into pissing contests with other teams.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#154 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Nobody is saying the wings are crappy. The frustration is that the competition got a little tougher to play against, we are not doing well on the road & we are beginning to see the impact of injuries. We are not built for playoff hockey & will not survive. Sorry, we didn't improve when we could have.

I completely understand and I too feel like we " missed the boat" on some talent, especially in a year that we have cap room. I just feel like it was a really tough trade deadline and teams were expecting ridiculous amounts for third liners...thats all. I obviously want this team to get better but its not like we are rooting for Columbus or something! We have a on of talent and atthe end of the day, we are still a great team!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

A buck for any Nyquist, Tater tots, Shehan, Jurco or Deke goal.
2 bucks for any Mule goal.
5 bucks for any Jimmy shut out
.50 cents for every time Chara, "Rat face" Marchant or Lucic is penalized.

#155 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Cleary - Helm - Miller

Not awesome enough the last two years.

I'll never forgive Holland for this. And here I was posting pictures of Iginla and Parros all over LGW for several months. :(

Edited by GMRwings1983, 27 February 2012 - 08:57 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#156 MDtizzle

MDtizzle

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

No one is panicking, but some are dissatisfied. Indeed, arguably no teams did improve, including the Wings who have lost in the second round two years running. Some fans seem to be satisfied with that; I am not one. There have been opportunities to improve the team with the resources we have, and I don't think Holland capitalized on them appropriately.

Me too/either. We've become spoiled with our expectations but , with reason. And I'd rather miss the playoffs on occasion but have better runs at the cup due to making some changes. My yearly post, thank you.

#157 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Nothing, but they are coming fast as is Nashville...Detroit slumping at home, Datsyuk out, defensemen hurt, horrible road team, unmotivated forwards in the top 6. There is no doubt, St. Louis will pass us up.

The Blues have been close all season. I don't think just because Holland didn't make a move today that is suddenly going to propel St. Louis ahead of the Red Wings despite everything you listed. The Blues have a lot of road games remaining and they are just as bad away from home than Detroit. The Red Wings are still the best team in the division. Would adding Paul Gaustad today have been the deal-breaker to winning the Central?

They didn't get one damn thing but they don't seem to have a problem getting guys to compete every night. They as are the Preds and the Nucks very hungrey teams. We needed some of that injected into this line up.

Fair enough. The Blues do play very hard every night, but the Red Wings will ramp up their intensity when it counts. It may be frustrating for us to watch as a fanbase, but the regular season isn't going to fire up a bunch of veterans that have gone deep into the playoffs for a large portion of their careers. The Blues have their flaws too: the biggest one being they don't score many goals and that wasn't addressed for them at the deadline. My main point is that I don't understand the mentality that doing nothing today is going to cost the Red Wings the division. They are two points from being the best team in the league. This is a very good hockey team as constructed. I would have preferred a move today as well, but the extreme doom-and-gloom is an overreaction.

#158 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Cleary - Helm - Miller

That lineup is great if they are healthy and Cup hungry. The two or three that mail it in will be what kills the team. Can they beat The Sharks and the Canucks? Maybe but odds are against them after today.

#159 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Okay. Because you're so sure, I'll bet you $100 on 100 to one odds. If I win, I get ten thousand dollars. Deal? Or maybe if you lose you get to take a picture of yourself with a giant "I was completely wrong" sign and post it on here. Which do you prefer?

Me too/either. We've become spoiled with our expectations but , with reason. And I'd rather miss the playoffs on occasion but have better runs at the cup due to making some changes. My yearly post, thank you.

Well, you're not running a business, and Holland and Ilitch are. A team makes more money if it competes on a yearly basis.

#160 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hodgson has a better chance of winning the cup before the Canucks do.

bringit.jpg