• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Brendan Smith watch thread

Rate this topic

I don't remember much of when Smith played for the Wings last. The one thing I remember is that he didn't carry himself like a rookie on the ice, and his head was up and constantly analyzing his surroundings. I don't remember much physicality from him though. Not sure where all those claims are coming from, unless he's been tough down in GR?

I don't remember much of when Smith played for the Wings last. The one thing I remember is that he didn't carry himself like a rookie on the ice, and his head was up and constantly analyzing his surroundings. I don't remember much physicality from him though. Not sure where all those claims are coming from, unless he's been tough down in GR?

His first fight in pro hockey, against an AHL goon that fights 25 times a year with years of experience after Smith was fresh outta the NCAA

http://www.nhlfightclub.com/videos/24780/brendan-smith-vs-antoine-roussel-dec-11-2011ahl-grand-rapids-griffins-vs-chicago-wolves.html

his latest fight against an experienced scrapper.

The wings finally have a guy who can play big minutes and play tough. He also throws some pretty big hits, watch him dish out some damage in the corners tonight youll notice it

The wings finally have a guy who can play big minutes and play tough. He also throws some pretty big hits, watch him dish out some damage in the corners tonight youll notice it

Well you know just as well as anyone here about how that part of a player's game can get tamed when they start to play for the Red Wings. In terms of physicality, I expect him to be a little like Stuart with maybe a handful of fights throughout the year but the more they depend on him for big minutes the less he'll probably fight, for better or for worse.

Well you know just as well as anyone here about how that part of a player's game can get tamed when they start to play for the Red Wings. In terms of physicality, I expect him to be a little like Stuart with maybe a handful of fights throughout the year but the more they depend on him for big minutes the less he'll probably fight, for better or for worse.

Im happy to see that he can handle himself if need be.... Most fights anymore happen when someone gets smoked (Kesler) and want to fight to save face. (Unless you're Kesler and wait until the refs have Kronwall by the jersey before issuing the challenge)

What is the obsession with fighting? I like it when it's appropriate, but this kids a world class talent. Everything I've heard about him is that he's a potential franchise D men. He can score and take care of himself. There's no need to go looking for trouble though. Plays like Stuart and has a Kronwallian shot. Either way I'm excited to see him up, reminds me of when they brought E up a few years back.

Hitting is an art and a risky one. If you miss you're out of position. I have a feeling that Smith won't be hitting too much until he gets comfortable with the NHL level of play. Once he figures out the basics he'll start hitting like he did in the AHL.

Nothing wrong with a guy standing up for himself, or a teammate - to be honest it's rather refreshing.

That said I don't need to see him fighting too often; he's too valuable, and there's alot of upside for him to risk injury.

Right now I feel like when it's all said and done he'll have averaged about 2-3 fights a year.

Great quote from him last night on scoring his first NHL goal in front of his grandfather

"It was huge to have my grandfather here," Smith said. "I mean, when we were little kids, there are three of us and we only had two parents, so he had to jump in there and drive us. He’s always been there for us and he was the reason for us getting to practice a lot of times and games. He’s pretty much the third parent there for us … so he’s on Cloud Nine."

Nothing wrong with a guy standing up for himself, or a teammate - to be honest it's rather refreshing.

That said I don't need to see him fighting too often; he's too valuable, and there's alot of upside for him to risk injury.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the gloves off, but I'd rather see him focusing on other aspects of his game. Dropping the gloves a few times a year will be great though. :thumbup:

Anyone else think Smith could knock Kindl out of the rotation on the defense? And if he does, is Kindl getting wheeled out of town over the summer?

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Guest Crymson

And Lidstrom apparently? They've been out of the lineup the exact same games.

We should get rid of both of them.

Lidstrom's steady, intelligent play is missed. Ericsson's boneheadedness is not.

Lidstrom's steady, intelligent play is missed. Ericsson's boneheadedness is not.

:rolleyes:

He said the defense was better without Ericsson. Lidstrom has been out both of those games as well.

But I guess this isn't just more baseless Ericsson bashing and you can somehow determine that the defense actually looks better overall specifically because of Ericsson's absence and not Lidstrom's?

It used to be that Kindl>Ericsson, which was wrong. Ericsson clearly outplayed Kindl, who couldn't hold his spot in the lineup over Commie. When that became obvious, you guys shifted to complaining about Ericsson's contract. Now that he's out of the lineup, somehow you can tell the defense is better specifically because of his absence.

You guys hate him. That's fine. Certain players are just going to get bashed. But it's not about what's actually happening on the ice, it's silly to pretend otherwise.

As for Smith, I'm glad he's finally getting some playing time. I know it's probably for the best, but Holland's "overly ripe"philosophy can be frustrating. I can't wait until this kids a regular in the lineup.

I was very impressed with both Smith and Quincey last night. IMO they both deserves playing time over and above Ericsson and Kindl. I think this defense is in great shape even with Stuart probably leaving and even if Lidstrom retires. I still think Holland should go hard after Suter. I know it probably won't happen, but Lids needs to come back for around $4.5M in order to secure Suter and Parise long term. If he doesn't feel he can take the pay cut, then there is going to be issues siging Suter and Parise. That is only my opinion though and :censored:

Anyhow, Smith looked real good yesterday, let's see if he can stay out of the abysmal black hole on the road that the rest of this team falls into. Good for him!

BTW: I absolutely LOVE Franzen's demotion. He is even lacking effort on the third line....damn that stupid ass contract.

:rolleyes:

He said the defense was better without Ericsson. Lidstrom has been out both of those games as well.

But I guess this isn't just more baseless Ericsson bashing and you can somehow determine that the defense actually looks better overall specifically because of Ericsson's absence and not Lidstrom's?

It used to be that Kindl>Ericsson, which was wrong. Ericsson clearly outplayed Kindl, who couldn't hold his spot in the lineup over Commie. When that became obvious, you guys shifted to complaining about Ericsson's contract. Now that he's out of the lineup, somehow you can tell the defense is better specifically because of his absence.

You guys hate him. That's fine. Certain players are just going to get bashed. But it's not about what's actually happening on the ice, it's silly to pretend otherwise.

As for Smith, I'm glad he's finally getting some playing time. I know it's probably for the best, but Holland's "overly ripe"philosophy can be frustrating. I can't wait until this kids a regular in the lineup.

It just shows me that if the Wings ditched Ericsson and Lidstrom retired, the D would be okay without them!

Next Season:

Suter-White

Kronwall-Quincey

Smith-Kindl

Janik

I was very impressed with both Smith and Quincey last night. IMO they both deserves playing time over and above Ericsson and Kindl. I think this defense is in great shape even with Stuart probably leaving and even if Lidstrom retires. I still think Holland should go hard after Suter. I know it probably won't happen, but Lids needs to come back for around $4.5M in order to secure Suter and Parise long term. If he doesn't feel he can take the pay cut, then there is going to be issues siging Suter and Parise. That is only my opinion though and :censored:

Anyhow, Smith looked real good yesterday, let's see if he can stay out of the abysmal black hole on the road that the rest of this team falls into. Good for him!

BTW: I absolutely LOVE Franzen's demotion. He is even lacking effort on the third line....damn that stupid ass contract.

It just shows me that if the Wings ditched Ericsson and Lidstrom retired, the D would be okay without them!

Next Season:

Suter-White

Kronwall-Quincey

Smith-Kindl

Janik

It seems unlikely but if Lids came back for another season AND Holland somehow managed to sign Suter, the Wings defense would be ridiculous.

Lids, Suter, White, Kronner, Quincey, Smith, Ericsson, Kindl???

When Smith becomes a regular in the lineup, with his PP and ES time I'm guessing he'll be slotted above both E and Kindl.

I can't see the Wings ditching Ericsson, unless they somehow can get around his NTC. Because I don't know why he'd want to play anywhere else than the Wings. It'd be an overpayment but Ericsson over Kindl on the bottom pairing is stronger than Kindl. Kindl becomes much more expendable with Smith and especially Quincey in the lineup.

If Smith is NHL ready, Lids returns AND they sign Suter, they will no choice BUT to trade Ericsson because they cannot have a $3M player being the 7th defenseman.

Lids-White

Kronn-Suter

Quincey-Smith

You'd have to have Kindl be the #7 because he makes less than $1M. I have a strange feeling though that the re-signing of Quincey is gonna be Holland's July 1st D pickup, because if Lids comes back that will give them 7 NHL defensemen. I think Holland will give Lids his $6.2M and say his defense is set.

Lids-White

Kronner-Quincey

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl

The only thing this does is give us hope that if Weber does another 1yr deal in Nashville, he will be a UFA in 2013 and we can hope against all hopes that Weber is a Red Wing in 13/14.

This will be okay too, then Holland can maybe throw $7M+ for a long term deal to Parise and address that issue. Then attempt to sign Lids replacement in 2013...

Edited by LeftWinger

It seems unlikely but if Lids came back for another season AND Holland somehow managed to sign Suter, the Wings defense would be ridiculous.

When Smith becomes a regular in the lineup, with his PP and ES time I'm guessing he'll be slotted above both E and Kindl.

I can't see the Wings ditching Ericsson, unless they somehow can get around his NTC. Because I don't know why he'd want to play anywhere else than the Wings. It'd be an overpayment but Ericsson over Kindl on the bottom pairing is stronger than Kindl. Kindl becomes much more expendable with Smith and especially Quincey in the lineup.

If we could somehow lose Ericsson our D will have the potential to be a long term (affordable) unit with youth. Considering Jimmy, Kindl, Smith, and White need to be re-upped after next season it would be wise not to spend right up to the cap this offseason. If we pay big money for Suter I'd like to move Ericsson's contract as I don't see him garnering over 2mill more cap than Kindl for the play he brings. This leaves 40mill in cap space for forwards and signing Parise in around 7-7.5 mill with room to spare for raises next season for rookies.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $23,395,833; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (8-man roster): $40,904,167

If we could somehow lose Ericsson our D will have the potential to be a long term (affordable) unit with youth. Considering Jimmy, Kindl, Smith, and White need to be re-upped after next season it would be wise not to spend right up to the cap this offseason. If we pay big money for Suter I'd like to move Ericsson's contract as I don't see him garnering over 2mill more cap than Kindl for the play he brings. This leaves 40mill in cap space for forwards and signing Parise in around 7-7.5 mill with room to spare for raises next season for rookies.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $23,395,833; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (8-man roster): $40,904,167

Ya, Lidstrom will pretty much have to retire if Holland wants to sign BOTH Suter and Parise. Even if Lids signed for $4.5M'ish that would leave enough to give Parise $7M+ and Suter $7M+ especially with some raises to Helm, Abby and Hudler due. I do believe Hudler has played himself into a modest raise (lets say Val's salary) and a long term contract. So up front if you re-sign him, Helm and Abby then sign Parise, one of the bottom two of Emmerton and Mursak will have to be traded or exposed to waiver's...even with that, it makes it very tight on the Cap with Lids signing for $6.2M and Parise for $7.5M, if somehow they could get Parise long term for $7M and maybe lids to accept $6.0M that would loosen up the Cap a bit...

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($3.000m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.950m)

/ Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $716,289

:lol: Somehow this thread turned into a lines thread (where is blueadams during all of this?!?!) but it is gonna be great if Smith plays like last night all the time, along with getting better and better as he ages!

Seeing as how it is apparent Stuart is leaving after this season, and Lidstrom is going to retire within a year or two at the most, will someone please explain to me how the Wings will kill penalties if Ericsson gets jettisoned the way some folks are hoping? I like White, Quincey and Smith but those are all PP guys, not PK guys, especially once Lidstrom's gone. Even if Suter is signed, he and Kronwall can't be the only penalty killers. Tons of people on here bash Ericsson but IMO he has proven to be an effective penalty killer, and that's an important thing to have on the blueline. If Ericsson never develops into more than an effective PKer who can play third-pair minutes (a la Lilja), I'll be fine with that. I don't think he's even close to overpaid considering some of the insane contracts around this league.

Seeing as how it is apparent Stuart is leaving after this season, and Lidstrom is going to retire within a year or two at the most, will someone please explain to me how the Wings will kill penalties if Ericsson gets jettisoned the way some folks are hoping? I like White, Quincey and Smith but those are all PP guys, not PK guys, especially once Lidstrom's gone. Even if Suter is signed, he and Kronwall can't be the only penalty killers. Tons of people on here bash Ericsson but IMO he has proven to be an effective penalty killer, and that's an important thing to have on the blueline. If Ericsson never develops into more than an effective PKer who can play third-pair minutes (a la Lilja), I'll be fine with that. I don't think he's even close to overpaid considering some of the insane contracts around this league.

Quincey IS a PK guy. Holland has said this. Kindl and Smith can learn to kill and White isn't terrible. Not really worth paying a guy 3+mill for PK abilities.