• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Brendan Smith watch thread

Rate this topic

well we know that smith takes no crap from anyone and we are playing philly tonight. im thinking smith drops them with rinaldo especially if rinaldo is in head hunting mode again. :thumbup:

It would be way cooler if we got two desperately needed points, regardless of whether or not someone fights.

It would be way cooler if we got two desperately needed points, regardless of whether or not someone fights.

No s***, Sherlock.

Doesnt mean that people talking about a specific player cant be excited to see what he brings to the table tonight

so why not get excited about Smith putting up a point or two on the powerplay, en route to a convincing regulation win, rather than a fight "two games in a row" which doesn't really suggest anything about how well the team will do?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see the kid contribute to team wins.

Edited by kipwinger

Smith's a pretty good rookie, but the way people around here fawn over him is pretty wild. It's going to be tough watching and listening to how insufferable some people will be when they inevitably realize that he's a rookie, he's going to make mistakes, he's not going to be in the lineup every night, and that he's got a LONG way to go before he's as good or better than any of our top five defensemen. Note to everyone, don't start holding your breath for the "Smith Era" quite yet. How about letting him be a rookie first before you make him the last great hope for your dream of a fighting Red Wings team? As for me, I'll be thrilled by a handful of decent games as a fill in for Ericsson.

Edited by kipwinger

Smith's a pretty good rookie, but the way people around here fawn over him is pretty wild. It's going to be tough watching and listening to how insufferable some people will be when they inevitably realize that he's a rookie, he's going to make mistakes, he's not going to be in the lineup every night, and that he's got a LONG way to go before he's as good or better than any of our top five defensemen. Note to everyone, don't start holding your breath for the "Smith Era" quite yet. How about letting him be a rookie first before you make him the last great hope for your dream of a fighting Red Wings team? As for me, I'll be thrilled by a handful of decent games as a fill in for Ericsson.

Given that he's played a total of 6 games in the NHL, there's not a lot to fawn over.

I think people are mostly just excited at the potential there is in him as a young prospect. Especially offensively, considering we no longer have a guy like Rafalski on the PP and could use one to get Hudler off the point.

I think people are mostly just excited at the potential there is in him as a young prospect.

The excitement wasn't as high but I remember when people used to be pretty excited about Ericsson and before him Kronwall. Like pretty much any other sports fan, people tore them to shreds.

The excitement wasn't as high but I remember when people used to be pretty excited about Ericsson and before him Kronwall. Like pretty much any other sports fan, people tore them to shreds.

It's understandable that people would be excited about Kronwall and Smith. They were both first round picks that showed a lot of potential very early on.

For whatever reason Ericsson became the scapegoat here. I guess one decent playoff performance as a Black Ace made people forget he was last overall in the draft and a converted defenseman at that. There's kids in high school who've been playing D longer than Ericsson.

Kindl should consider himself lucky for all the goodwill he gets here in spite of his slow development. He's the highest draft pick the Wings have had in 20 years. Hopefully Smith will get the same kind of benefit as he turns into an NHL player.

Given that he's played a total of 6 games in the NHL, there's not a lot to fawn over.

I think people are mostly just excited at the potential there is in him as a young prospect. Especially offensively, considering we no longer have a guy like Rafalski on the PP and could use one to get Hudler off the point.

Go about two pages back and look at the references to the "Smith Era". Sort of looks like fawning to me. But I agree that there isn't much to fawn over, that was my whole point actually.

8GP 1G 4A 5PT +3 ; 1 Fight + physical play

Smith has been playing terrific in his first 8 games with the big club. Last night he was hard on the puck and that play to Filppula on the backdoor was a thing of beauty. He has been sound defensively and showing great offensive instincts. Since seeing him at Wisconsin, I think the guy is a "can't miss prospect". That said, as other posters have warned, we mustn't get too high on him in his first few games.

Keep up the good work, Smith!

Guest stinky fish taco

if they had had smith up sooner, maybe they wouldn't have wasted that first on quincey and could have got a forward like they actually need?

if they had had smith up sooner, maybe they wouldn't have wasted that first on quincey and could have got a forward like they actually need?

As sour as I was about the Quincey trade when it happened, I think he has played pretty well. He's made the team better. I too would have preferred a forward to provide help in the scoring department or some fourth line improvement, but all things considered, I'd rather have Quincey than what will be the 30th pick :D.

That pass last night was sick, the sense to jump up like that is great to see.

Also had a pretty big hit on Brown. Well Brown went to hit him and Smith completely stood him up and made him look like an idiot. He held the line really well on one play and drew a penalty on it as well.

5 points in 8 games, solid defensively, 2 big hits and beat a guy up.

:yowza:

As sour as I was about the Quincey trade when it happened, I think he has played pretty well. He's made the team better. I too would have preferred a forward to provide help in the scoring department or some fourth line improvement, but all things considered, I'd rather have Quincey than what will be the 30th pick :D.

Agreed.

And while Quincey may not have been totally necessary this season, he makes the team better and I think it was also a move anticipating Stuart's departure. Even if they had brought Smith up, I wouldn't want him thrown into a role where he's supposed to handle as many minutes as Quincey. I want him up with the Wings, but not totally thrown in the deep end.

And while Quincey may not have been totally necessary this season, he makes the team better and I think it was also a move anticipating Stuart's departure. Even if they had brought Smith up, I wouldn't want him thrown into a role where he's supposed to handle as many minutes as Quincey. I want him up with the Wings, but not totally thrown in the deep end.

Good observation. There was a bit of foresight on Kenny's part involving the Quincey deal; not just with Stuart likely leaving but also the possibility of the Lidstrom's retirement.

As for acquiring a forward, that would have been great, but when the going rate for a guy like Paul Gaustad is your first round pick, and for a guy like Nash is every other thing you've got, it doesn't seem like a trade for one was feasible this year.

Good observation. There was a bit of foresight on Kenny's part involving the Quincey deal; not just with Stuart likely leaving but also the possibility of the Lidstrom's retirement.

As for acquiring a forward, that would have been great, but when the going rate for a guy like Paul Gaustad is your first round pick, and for a guy like Nash is every other thing you've got, it doesn't seem like a trade for one was feasible this year.

At the time of the deal I didn't even realize he's an RFA. It seems like he'd been in the league long enough I just assumed he'd be a UFA. But I forget the guy's only a year older than Kindl and younger than E.

At the time of the deal I didn't even realize he's an RFA. It seems like he'd been in the league long enough I just assumed he'd be a UFA. But I forget the guy's only a year older than Kindl and younger than E.

That definitely sweetens the deal. The inside track on negotiating his extension (though the Ericsson contract pretty much ensures that he'll make more sooner than he'd make less), but even if the Wings do lose him to an offer sheet, assuming at or above his current salary, they'll be compensated to the tune of either a 2nd round pick (if at) or 1st and 3rd round pick (if above). Not to shabby for a late 1st round pick.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2011-12-nhl-rfa-compensation-rules/

Guest Crymson

I love kronwall

Kronwall had some rough times in his first two seasons. He really came into his own in '07-'08. It's a shame that we didn't have him in the '07 playoffs. A healthy Kronwall and a healthy Schneider would likely have meant a Stanley Cup.

Smith looks like an upgrade over Stuart for next season.

I know the kid has a load of talent, but I think he's got a long way to go before he's an upgrade over the most defensively responsible d-man, on what I consider to be one of the top defensive corps in the league. The kid may be that good one day, but aside from point totals, Stuart is either the best or second best defender on this team. Just have a look at Kronwall's plus minus if you don't believe me.