• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#21 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

It will be nice to have a Brendan on the ice again. :D I am excited to see where this kid can take it, we need a little spark out there some night.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#22 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,101 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Clear the zone and no turnovers --- ya do that, I am content.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#23 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Clear the zone and no turnovers --- ya do that, I am content.

Honestly I think that's a lot to ask for the game he plays.

He's going to be carrying the puck a lot and trying to make nice outlet passes, not just chipping it up the glass like a stay at home bottom end guy would. So unfortunately that's gonna come with some painful turnovers as he adapts to the NHL game.

I definitely think he should keep it simple at first, but he's gonna make some mistakes as he stretches his game a bit. I just hope he lives up to the promise he shows already.

Pretty interesting quote from Babcock regarding Smith. I don't think he's always a fan of Holland's "over-ripe" philosophy.

“He came on the West Coast with us, he was good enough to play on the team at that point,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “We felt the minutes in the minors were important. We felt he’d be on the team by the end. We think he’s an NHL player. He could’ve probably played all year, probably could’ve played last year.
“What this gives us is an opportunity to give him some nurturing. Actually, if the truth be told, the coaching staff wanted him, the general manager wanted to make sure he got some seasoning.''

http://www.mlive.com..._see_brend.html

#24 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I don't think he's always a fan of Holland's "over-ripe" philosophy.

You're probably correct - I remember him saying Abdelkader and Leino (!) were the best players he'd ever sent down to the minors. But thats the difference between a coach and a GM - the coach wants the best possible team to win NOW, the GM must keep an eye on the next season, and the season after that, and the season after that...
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#25 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Looking forward to seeing him play again. Let's see what he can do :thumbup:

#26 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I don't remember much of when Smith played for the Wings last. The one thing I remember is that he didn't carry himself like a rookie on the ice, and his head was up and constantly analyzing his surroundings. I don't remember much physicality from him though. Not sure where all those claims are coming from, unless he's been tough down in GR?

#27 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

I don't remember much of when Smith played for the Wings last. The one thing I remember is that he didn't carry himself like a rookie on the ice, and his head was up and constantly analyzing his surroundings. I don't remember much physicality from him though. Not sure where all those claims are coming from, unless he's been tough down in GR?

His first fight in pro hockey, against an AHL goon that fights 25 times a year with years of experience after Smith was fresh outta the NCAA

http://www.nhlfightc...ago-wolves.html

his latest fight against an experienced scrapper.

The wings finally have a guy who can play big minutes and play tough. He also throws some pretty big hits, watch him dish out some damage in the corners tonight youll notice it

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#28 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

The wings finally have a guy who can play big minutes and play tough. He also throws some pretty big hits, watch him dish out some damage in the corners tonight youll notice it

Well you know just as well as anyone here about how that part of a player's game can get tamed when they start to play for the Red Wings. In terms of physicality, I expect him to be a little like Stuart with maybe a handful of fights throughout the year but the more they depend on him for big minutes the less he'll probably fight, for better or for worse.

#29 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Well you know just as well as anyone here about how that part of a player's game can get tamed when they start to play for the Red Wings. In terms of physicality, I expect him to be a little like Stuart with maybe a handful of fights throughout the year but the more they depend on him for big minutes the less he'll probably fight, for better or for worse.

Im happy to see that he can handle himself if need be.... Most fights anymore happen when someone gets smoked (Kesler) and want to fight to save face. (Unless you're Kesler and wait until the refs have Kronwall by the jersey before issuing the challenge)

#30 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

What is the obsession with fighting? I like it when it's appropriate, but this kids a world class talent. Everything I've heard about him is that he's a potential franchise D men. He can score and take care of himself. There's no need to go looking for trouble though. Plays like Stuart and has a Kronwallian shot. Either way I'm excited to see him up, reminds me of when they brought E up a few years back.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#31 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hitting is an art and a risky one. If you miss you're out of position. I have a feeling that Smith won't be hitting too much until he gets comfortable with the NHL level of play. Once he figures out the basics he'll start hitting like he did in the AHL.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Nothing wrong with a guy standing up for himself, or a teammate - to be honest it's rather refreshing.

That said I don't need to see him fighting too often; he's too valuable, and there's alot of upside for him to risk injury.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#33 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Nothing wrong with a guy standing up for himself, or a teammate - to be honest it's rather refreshing.

That said I don't need to see him fighting too often; he's too valuable, and there's alot of upside for him to risk injury.

Right now I feel like when it's all said and done he'll have averaged about 2-3 fights a year.

#34 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

He was apparently one of only two Wings that decided to throw a hit last night. :lol:

I know stats for the home team are always inflated, but nothing could have prepared me for that.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#35 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

Great quote from him last night on scoring his first NHL goal in front of his grandfather

"It was huge to have my grandfather here," Smith said. "I mean, when we were little kids, there are three of us and we only had two parents, so he had to jump in there and drive us. Hes always been there for us and he was the reason for us getting to practice a lot of times and games. Hes pretty much the third parent there for us so hes on Cloud Nine."

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#36 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the gloves off, but I'd rather see him focusing on other aspects of his game. Dropping the gloves a few times a year will be great though. :thumbup:

Anyone else think Smith could knock Kindl out of the rotation on the defense? And if he does, is Kindl getting wheeled out of town over the summer?

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 03 March 2012 - 04:03 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#37 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the gloves off, but I'd rather see him focusing on other aspects of his game. Dropping the gloves a few times a year will be great though. :thumbup:

Anyone else think Smith could knock Kindl out of the rotation on the defense? And if he does, is Kindl getting wheeled out of town over the summer?

Smith looked very much at ease last night, and yes I do think both Kindl, and Ericsson should be concerned.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#38 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Smith can hold that Puck.in the offensive zone like no one but Lidstrom...
RIP #24

#39 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

missed the game last night but good to see smith got his first goal. kid is a beauty and is going to make people forget about ericsson.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#40 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

The defense looks way better without Ericsson.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".