• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

The defense looks way better without Ericsson.

And Lidstrom apparently? They've been out of the lineup the exact same games.

We should get rid of both of them.

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

And Lidstrom apparently? They've been out of the lineup the exact same games.

We should get rid of both of them.

Lidstrom's steady, intelligent play is missed. Ericsson's boneheadedness is not.

#43 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

Lidstrom's steady, intelligent play is missed. Ericsson's boneheadedness is not.

:rolleyes:

He said the defense was better without Ericsson. Lidstrom has been out both of those games as well.

But I guess this isn't just more baseless Ericsson bashing and you can somehow determine that the defense actually looks better overall specifically because of Ericsson's absence and not Lidstrom's?

It used to be that Kindl>Ericsson, which was wrong. Ericsson clearly outplayed Kindl, who couldn't hold his spot in the lineup over Commie. When that became obvious, you guys shifted to complaining about Ericsson's contract. Now that he's out of the lineup, somehow you can tell the defense is better specifically because of his absence.

You guys hate him. That's fine. Certain players are just going to get bashed. But it's not about what's actually happening on the ice, it's silly to pretend otherwise.

As for Smith, I'm glad he's finally getting some playing time. I know it's probably for the best, but Holland's "overly ripe"philosophy can be frustrating. I can't wait until this kids a regular in the lineup.

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

I was very impressed with both Smith and Quincey last night. IMO they both deserves playing time over and above Ericsson and Kindl. I think this defense is in great shape even with Stuart probably leaving and even if Lidstrom retires. I still think Holland should go hard after Suter. I know it probably won't happen, but Lids needs to come back for around $4.5M in order to secure Suter and Parise long term. If he doesn't feel he can take the pay cut, then there is going to be issues siging Suter and Parise. That is only my opinion though and :censored:

Anyhow, Smith looked real good yesterday, let's see if he can stay out of the abysmal black hole on the road that the rest of this team falls into. Good for him!

BTW: I absolutely LOVE Franzen's demotion. He is even lacking effort on the third line....damn that stupid ass contract.

:rolleyes:

He said the defense was better without Ericsson. Lidstrom has been out both of those games as well.

But I guess this isn't just more baseless Ericsson bashing and you can somehow determine that the defense actually looks better overall specifically because of Ericsson's absence and not Lidstrom's?

It used to be that Kindl>Ericsson, which was wrong. Ericsson clearly outplayed Kindl, who couldn't hold his spot in the lineup over Commie. When that became obvious, you guys shifted to complaining about Ericsson's contract. Now that he's out of the lineup, somehow you can tell the defense is better specifically because of his absence.

You guys hate him. That's fine. Certain players are just going to get bashed. But it's not about what's actually happening on the ice, it's silly to pretend otherwise.

As for Smith, I'm glad he's finally getting some playing time. I know it's probably for the best, but Holland's "overly ripe"philosophy can be frustrating. I can't wait until this kids a regular in the lineup.

It just shows me that if the Wings ditched Ericsson and Lidstrom retired, the D would be okay without them!

Next Season:

Suter-White
Kronwall-Quincey
Smith-Kindl
Janik

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I was very impressed with both Smith and Quincey last night. IMO they both deserves playing time over and above Ericsson and Kindl. I think this defense is in great shape even with Stuart probably leaving and even if Lidstrom retires. I still think Holland should go hard after Suter. I know it probably won't happen, but Lids needs to come back for around $4.5M in order to secure Suter and Parise long term. If he doesn't feel he can take the pay cut, then there is going to be issues siging Suter and Parise. That is only my opinion though and :censored:

Anyhow, Smith looked real good yesterday, let's see if he can stay out of the abysmal black hole on the road that the rest of this team falls into. Good for him!

BTW: I absolutely LOVE Franzen's demotion. He is even lacking effort on the third line....damn that stupid ass contract.

It just shows me that if the Wings ditched Ericsson and Lidstrom retired, the D would be okay without them!

Next Season:

Suter-White
Kronwall-Quincey
Smith-Kindl
Janik

It seems unlikely but if Lids came back for another season AND Holland somehow managed to sign Suter, the Wings defense would be ridiculous.

Lids, Suter, White, Kronner, Quincey, Smith, Ericsson, Kindl???

When Smith becomes a regular in the lineup, with his PP and ES time I'm guessing he'll be slotted above both E and Kindl.

I can't see the Wings ditching Ericsson, unless they somehow can get around his NTC. Because I don't know why he'd want to play anywhere else than the Wings. It'd be an overpayment but Ericsson over Kindl on the bottom pairing is stronger than Kindl. Kindl becomes much more expendable with Smith and especially Quincey in the lineup.

#46 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

If Smith is NHL ready, Lids returns AND they sign Suter, they will no choice BUT to trade Ericsson because they cannot have a $3M player being the 7th defenseman.

Lids-White
Kronn-Suter
Quincey-Smith

You'd have to have Kindl be the #7 because he makes less than $1M. I have a strange feeling though that the re-signing of Quincey is gonna be Holland's July 1st D pickup, because if Lids comes back that will give them 7 NHL defensemen. I think Holland will give Lids his $6.2M and say his defense is set.

Lids-White
Kronner-Quincey
Ericsson-Smith
Kindl

The only thing this does is give us hope that if Weber does another 1yr deal in Nashville, he will be a UFA in 2013 and we can hope against all hopes that Weber is a Red Wing in 13/14.

This will be okay too, then Holland can maybe throw $7M+ for a long term deal to Parise and address that issue. Then attempt to sign Lids replacement in 2013...

Edited by LeftWinger, 03 March 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#47 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

It seems unlikely but if Lids came back for another season AND Holland somehow managed to sign Suter, the Wings defense would be ridiculous.

When Smith becomes a regular in the lineup, with his PP and ES time I'm guessing he'll be slotted above both E and Kindl.

I can't see the Wings ditching Ericsson, unless they somehow can get around his NTC. Because I don't know why he'd want to play anywhere else than the Wings. It'd be an overpayment but Ericsson over Kindl on the bottom pairing is stronger than Kindl. Kindl becomes much more expendable with Smith and especially Quincey in the lineup.

If we could somehow lose Ericsson our D will have the potential to be a long term (affordable) unit with youth. Considering Jimmy, Kindl, Smith, and White need to be re-upped after next season it would be wise not to spend right up to the cap this offseason. If we pay big money for Suter I'd like to move Ericsson's contract as I don't see him garnering over 2mill more cap than Kindl for the play he brings. This leaves 40mill in cap space for forwards and signing Parise in around 7-7.5 mill with room to spare for raises next season for rookies.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.750m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $23,395,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (8-man roster): $40,904,167

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

If we could somehow lose Ericsson our D will have the potential to be a long term (affordable) unit with youth. Considering Jimmy, Kindl, Smith, and White need to be re-upped after next season it would be wise not to spend right up to the cap this offseason. If we pay big money for Suter I'd like to move Ericsson's contract as I don't see him garnering over 2mill more cap than Kindl for the play he brings. This leaves 40mill in cap space for forwards and signing Parise in around 7-7.5 mill with room to spare for raises next season for rookies.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.750m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $23,395,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (8-man roster): $40,904,167

Ya, Lidstrom will pretty much have to retire if Holland wants to sign BOTH Suter and Parise. Even if Lids signed for $4.5M'ish that would leave enough to give Parise $7M+ and Suter $7M+ especially with some raises to Helm, Abby and Hudler due. I do believe Hudler has played himself into a modest raise (lets say Val's salary) and a long term contract. So up front if you re-sign him, Helm and Abby then sign Parise, one of the bottom two of Emmerton and Mursak will have to be traded or exposed to waiver's...even with that, it makes it very tight on the Cap with Lids signing for $6.2M and Parise for $7.5M, if somehow they could get Parise long term for $7M and maybe lids to accept $6.0M that would loosen up the Cap a bit...

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($3.000m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.837m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.950m)
/ Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.000m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $716,289

:lol: Somehow this thread turned into a lines thread (where is blueadams during all of this?!?!) but it is gonna be great if Smith plays like last night all the time, along with getting better and better as he ages!

#49 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Seeing as how it is apparent Stuart is leaving after this season, and Lidstrom is going to retire within a year or two at the most, will someone please explain to me how the Wings will kill penalties if Ericsson gets jettisoned the way some folks are hoping? I like White, Quincey and Smith but those are all PP guys, not PK guys, especially once Lidstrom's gone. Even if Suter is signed, he and Kronwall can't be the only penalty killers. Tons of people on here bash Ericsson but IMO he has proven to be an effective penalty killer, and that's an important thing to have on the blueline. If Ericsson never develops into more than an effective PKer who can play third-pair minutes (a la Lilja), I'll be fine with that. I don't think he's even close to overpaid considering some of the insane contracts around this league.

#50 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

My only comment about Smith so far is that this kid should never play another game in the AHL.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#51 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

If he finishes the season in Detroit, will this be his rookie season? Or next year?

#52 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Seeing as how it is apparent Stuart is leaving after this season, and Lidstrom is going to retire within a year or two at the most, will someone please explain to me how the Wings will kill penalties if Ericsson gets jettisoned the way some folks are hoping? I like White, Quincey and Smith but those are all PP guys, not PK guys, especially once Lidstrom's gone. Even if Suter is signed, he and Kronwall can't be the only penalty killers. Tons of people on here bash Ericsson but IMO he has proven to be an effective penalty killer, and that's an important thing to have on the blueline. If Ericsson never develops into more than an effective PKer who can play third-pair minutes (a la Lilja), I'll be fine with that. I don't think he's even close to overpaid considering some of the insane contracts around this league.

Quincey IS a PK guy. Holland has said this. Kindl and Smith can learn to kill and White isn't terrible. Not really worth paying a guy 3+mill for PK abilities.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#53 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

My only comment about Smith so far is that this kid should never play another game in the AHL.

Well said!
RIP #24

#54 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

I doubt Ericsson is going anywhere. If Smith can continue to play well, maybe next year could look like this:

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Quincey
Ericsson-B.Smith
-Vandermeer

Pick up a bottom 6 player for Kindl and sign Jim Vandermeer.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 03 March 2012 - 06:59 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#55 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Not surprised that Holland didn't even consider deals with Smith included at the deadline.The kid is going to be a stud in year or two :thumbup:

#56 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

I have had season tickets to the Griffins for the last few years so I have seen Smith for a while. Last season, he did pretty well. Same with this season. I will say that he didn't standout like Kronwall did when he was a defenseman with the Griffins.

I really feel that one of two things has to happen....

1. Smith moves back down with the Griffins to get more seasoning at the AHL level.
2. Smith moves up to the Wings and learns under the tutelage of Lidstrom. I think in order for Smith to excel, he needs first or second line minutes. To have him playing 7 minutes a night at the NHL level is a waste when he can play 20-25 minutes.

The Red Wings allow their prospects to over-ripen in the minors. I am ok with that as the track record is excellent when the Wings do this.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#57 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I doubt Ericsson is going anywhere. If Smith can continue to play well, maybe next year could look like this:

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Quincey
Ericsson-B.Smith
-Vandermeer

Pick up a bottom 6 player for Kindl and sign Jim Vandermeer.

See I figure that the Wings don't want to trade Kindl to another team and see him become another case like Quincey where perhaps they don't re-acquire him. At the same time, I don't know if it's such a good idea to keep Kindl or Smith as the #7 dman. Both should get consistent minutes.

But I suppose at the end of the day the Wings would rather deal with that problem instead of having a dman that really sucks at the #7 spot. It's probably why I can't see the Wings trading Kindl.

#58 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

huge hit on kane tonight than pumped Shaw, looked really good out there with the extra playing time :thumbup:

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#59 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

'atta boy Smitty! Keep it up :thumbup:

Edited by Namingway, 04 March 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#60 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Great game. Plays smart and confident with ice time. Good hit, good scrap, and showing flashes of offensive acumen. It'll be great to see him every game from here on out. Makes Kindl look like Ericsson, and makes Ericsson look like a beer leaguer... well, like worse of a beer leaguer.