• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,554 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

As sour as I was about the Quincey trade when it happened, I think he has played pretty well. He's made the team better. I too would have preferred a forward to provide help in the scoring department or some fourth line improvement, but all things considered, I'd rather have Quincey than what will be the 30th pick :D.

Agreed.

And while Quincey may not have been totally necessary this season, he makes the team better and I think it was also a move anticipating Stuart's departure. Even if they had brought Smith up, I wouldn't want him thrown into a role where he's supposed to handle as many minutes as Quincey. I want him up with the Wings, but not totally thrown in the deep end.

#122 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

And while Quincey may not have been totally necessary this season, he makes the team better and I think it was also a move anticipating Stuart's departure. Even if they had brought Smith up, I wouldn't want him thrown into a role where he's supposed to handle as many minutes as Quincey. I want him up with the Wings, but not totally thrown in the deep end.

Good observation. There was a bit of foresight on Kenny's part involving the Quincey deal; not just with Stuart likely leaving but also the possibility of the Lidstrom's retirement.

As for acquiring a forward, that would have been great, but when the going rate for a guy like Paul Gaustad is your first round pick, and for a guy like Nash is every other thing you've got, it doesn't seem like a trade for one was feasible this year.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#123 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,554 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Good observation. There was a bit of foresight on Kenny's part involving the Quincey deal; not just with Stuart likely leaving but also the possibility of the Lidstrom's retirement.

As for acquiring a forward, that would have been great, but when the going rate for a guy like Paul Gaustad is your first round pick, and for a guy like Nash is every other thing you've got, it doesn't seem like a trade for one was feasible this year.

At the time of the deal I didn't even realize he's an RFA. It seems like he'd been in the league long enough I just assumed he'd be a UFA. But I forget the guy's only a year older than Kindl and younger than E.

#124 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

At the time of the deal I didn't even realize he's an RFA. It seems like he'd been in the league long enough I just assumed he'd be a UFA. But I forget the guy's only a year older than Kindl and younger than E.

That definitely sweetens the deal. The inside track on negotiating his extension (though the Ericsson contract pretty much ensures that he'll make more sooner than he'd make less), but even if the Wings do lose him to an offer sheet, assuming at or above his current salary, they'll be compensated to the tune of either a 2nd round pick (if at) or 1st and 3rd round pick (if above). Not to shabby for a late 1st round pick.

http://thehockeywrit...ensation-rules/

#125 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I love kronwall

Kronwall had some rough times in his first two seasons. He really came into his own in '07-'08. It's a shame that we didn't have him in the '07 playoffs. A healthy Kronwall and a healthy Schneider would likely have meant a Stanley Cup.

#126 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Smith looks like an upgrade over Stuart for next season.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#127 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

I know the kid has a load of talent, but I think he's got a long way to go before he's an upgrade over the most defensively responsible d-man, on what I consider to be one of the top defensive corps in the league. The kid may be that good one day, but aside from point totals, Stuart is either the best or second best defender on this team. Just have a look at Kronwall's plus minus if you don't believe me.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#128 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Kronwall had some rough times in his first two seasons.

His first full two seasons, yes, because that dude had a voodoo curse on him for a while. I remember when he was first called up during Injury Disaster 2004 Edition and he knocked everyone's socks off... right before catching a rut during a pregame skate and breaking his leg.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#129 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Him coming off the bench last night was like a heat seeking missile to the Kings. Just BAM MOTHAf***A!!!

#130 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

I agree with this 100% and the fact that Stuart doesn't drop the gloves anymore not that it really matters. I really like Stuart but yeah...

#131 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Smith looks like an upgrade adequate replacement for Stuart for next season.

That's better. Stuart is great, a steady defensive defenseman. His absence will hurt, but Smith will definitely help soften the blow.

#132 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Nothing to really write home about tonight but had another pretty big hit along the boards at one point. Hes definitely looked more physical then I expected him too

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#133 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

Nothing to really write home about tonight but had another pretty big hit along the boards at one point. Hes definitely looked more physical then I expected him too

Kind of how it starts though right? He's trying to prove how badly he wants to stay.

#134 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

This kids play has been stellar, I think that last d spot is going to be E and Kindl battling it out for playoffs.

He had another big hit tonight, Fraser went to hit him and Smith popped him good.

http://video.nhl.com...d=sb:highlights

If you go on there and go to hits fraser on Smith is the one Im talking about. He got Brown with one like that last time. I wish some of his hits would show up on youtube.

Hes had a big one on Kane, Dustin Brown, Colin Fraser and another one against Nashville along the boards but I dont remember who it was on. Wish I could find some videos!

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#135 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

This kids play has been stellar, I think that last d spot is going to be E and Kindl battling it out for playoffs.

He had another big hit tonight, Fraser went to hit him and Smith popped him good.

http://video.nhl.com...d=sb:highlights

If you go on there and go to hits fraser on Smith is the one Im talking about. He got Brown with one like that last time. I wish some of his hits would show up on youtube.

Hes had a big one on Kane, Dustin Brown, Colin Fraser and another one against Nashville along the boards but I dont remember who it was on. Wish I could find some videos!

I love the way Smith plays. Usually with these call-up defense prospects being noticeable is a bad thing, but not with this kid. He plays with remarkable intelligence, skill, and confidence for a young call-up. He has been making some smart pinches to keep the offense going and is really quick on his skates. Really, he has exceeded pretty high expectations given the situation, adding to the offense whenever he is on the ice and playing pretty responsible in his own zone. Physical, offensively inclined, and defensively savvy.

Honestly, come playoffs, both Ericsson and Kindl should be on the outside looking in. I know it probably wouldn't happen, but since White has been playing with Quincey, and has not been his best since Nick went down, and Smith has been pretty phenomenal despite having Janik on the opposite side, I'd love to see Smith given minutes with Lidstrom when he returns (though I'm not sure which side he is used to playing):

Lidstrom-Smith
Stuart-Kronwall
White-Quincey

That is a pretty ridiculous Top 6 when healthy.

#136 LidstromIsASuperhero

LidstromIsASuperhero

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

I agree that Smith has looked good for the most part. He seems to have good offensive instincts and plays a physical game with some snarl in it. However, I think he has to iron out a few flaws before he is really ready to take a large role with this team. He seems prone to defensive blunders, and he was directly responsible for Anze Koptiar's short-handed goal last night when he turned the puck over to him on a no-look pass. I also saw a pretty stupid defensive zone turnover and he seemed out of position at times, one time even going deep into the opposing zone and attempting another no look pass back to the point- where he should have been. That being said, he's got a lot of flashiness to his game and he looks like a stud. He reminds me of Kronwall.

#137 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

I love the way Smith plays. Usually with these call-up defense prospects being noticeable is a bad thing, but not with this kid. He plays with remarkable intelligence, skill, and confidence for a young call-up. He has been making some smart pinches to keep the offense going and is really quick on his skates. Really, he has exceeded pretty high expectations given the situation, adding to the offense whenever he is on the ice and playing pretty responsible in his own zone. Physical, offensively inclined, and defensively savvy.

Honestly, come playoffs, both Ericsson and Kindl should be on the outside looking in. I know it probably wouldn't happen, but since White has been playing with Quincey, and has not been his best since Nick went down, and Smith has been pretty phenomenal despite having Janik on the opposite side, I'd love to see Smith given minutes with Lidstrom when he returns (though I'm not sure which side he is used to playing):

Lidstrom-Smith
Stuart-Kronwall
White-Quincey

That is a pretty ridiculous Top 6 when healthy.

Still think he's a top pair guy after his two boneheaded turnovers, in two games, leading to two goals? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#138 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Still think he's a top pair guy after his two boneheaded turnovers, in two games, leading to two goals? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

He is a rookie, thats for sure. I think he has the capability to be a first or second pairing defenseman. This is why, if he got called up, I would have played him with Lids the entire season. He needs that veteran leadership. What he doesn't need is 9 minutes of ice time per night in the NHL when he can get 22 minutes per night in the AHL.

Give him time to develop. That has gone so well in the past with players like Flip, Kronwall, Howard, and so on.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#139 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Fun Fact: Reilly Smith (his brother) just got the nod for top 10 finalists for the 2012 Hobey Baker. He's got 27 goals as a junior.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#140 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Fun Fact: Reilly Smith (his brother) just got the nod for top 10 finalists for the 2012 Hobey Baker. He's got 27 goals as a junior.

Pretty freaking good tbh although it's too bad Dallas drafted him.