• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I just want to say this kid has blown my expectations out of the water. I was hoping for at best a quiet, not noticeable player (ie Quincey when we called him up in the playoffs from GR several years ago). He's got a lot of confidence and he sees the ice and what's available so freaking well. 7 points in his first 13 NHL games is phenomenal, especially if you consider he's a defenseman. The +3 ain't too shabby either, considering how s***ty the Wings collectively have been playing.
I will temper my love of this kid by saying he obviously won't replace Lidstrom, or what he means to the team. But I'm comfortable going as far to say he can effectively replace Rafalski, and even surpass him if he stays humble and physical (and tightens up some loose knots in his own zone). In any event this kid was a wonderful draft acquisition. He certainly appears to be the best we've drafted in a while.

#142 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

He's got a LONG way to go, but I'm certainly impressed with his skill set and his poise. I think I'm most impressed with his skating.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#143 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

He's got a LONG way to go, but I'm certainly impressed with his skill set and his poise. I think I'm most impressed with his skating.

I agree.

Maturation takes time. I would rather Smith get through these growing pains in the minors than in the NHL. Case in point, the two turnovers in the defensive zone that resulted in goals a few games back. People here on LGW and other forums I have read gave him a lot of flak. You can bet Smith was giving himself a lot of flak for those plays. That is how you learn in hockey though. Lids was never the perfect human at the start of his career.

At the same time though, if he has an opportunity to learn from Lids next year, I say he should be brought up. I just don't like him playing 3rd line minutes when he can get top line minutes in the AHL.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#144 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

I agree.

Maturation takes time. I would rather Smith get through these growing pains in the minors than in the NHL. Case in point, the two turnovers in the defensive zone that resulted in goals a few games back. People here on LGW and other forums I have read gave him a lot of flak. You can bet Smith was giving himself a lot of flak for those plays. That is how you learn in hockey though. Lids was never the perfect human at the start of his career.

At the same time though, if he has an opportunity to learn from Lids next year, I say he should be brought up. I just don't like him playing 3rd line minutes when he can get top line minutes in the AHL.

I disagree, this is the time he should be up. You have no idea if Lidstrom is returning. This time I don't feel a player should rot in the AHL.

#145 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Maturation takes time. I would rather Smith get through these growing pains in the minors than in the NHL.

He wont have these growing pains in the AHL. Hes too good for that competition and the little s*** he gets away with down there will make him develop habits he cant get away with at this level. He seems to already be ironing some wrinkles out of his game already

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#146 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

THis is a 23 year old man we are talking about, not some 19 year old. He has nothing to prove in the AHL anymore and can only get better with NHL experience. He is already much better than Kindl and Ericsson ever were.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#147 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Looked pretty good to me, tonight. He's the real deal, no doubt. Under the Babs regime, it'll take him more than a few games to move up in the depth chart, but, performance-wise, I don't really see a reason to put him in the A any longer.

Nyquist is getting run over too much, he's got a fair bit to go, strength-wise.
what

#148 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Looked pretty good to me, tonight. He's the real deal, no doubt. Under the Babs regime, it'll take him more than a few games to move up in the depth chart, but, performance-wise, I don't really see a reason to put him in the A any longer.

Nyquist is getting run over too much, he's got a fair bit to go, strength-wise.

I was thinking the same thing, but at the very least he has the spunk to race into the dirty areas and fight for the hard to get pucks. Once he adds a little muscle to him that part of his game should really stand out, especially considering his flair for stick-handling in tight areas.

#149 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

Being over in England I don't get to watch much Minor League hockey (if at all) so he has impressed me greatly. Last night he managed to read plays and cut out passing lanes at least 2 or 3 times. He's like the sort of defenceman we build around and, to a certain extent, wanted Ericsson to be - play smart, sensible hockey that takes away chances before they even begin to develop. He's going to be big, so give him some Major time

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#150 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

He's been playing well.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman