• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Brad Stuart's family issues

Rate this topic

Does anyone around here know why Brad's family cannot relocate to Detroit? I keep reading about this and it always just says "personal reasons."

What on earth could be holding them in San Jose and totally rendering them unable to move anywhere?

Edited by Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Guest Hatethedrake!

Does anyone around here know why Brad's family cannot relocate to Detroit? I keep reading about this and it always just says "personal reasons."

What on earth could be holding them in San Jose and totally rendering them unable to move anywhere?

Something to do with Stuart's wife not being allowed to be outside the state of California.

What on earth could be holding them in San Jose and totally unable to move anywhere?

Less his tenure with the Bruins and Wings, he's always been a West Coast guy. It's completely understandable for him to want to move back there (where he has played before), especially towards the end of his career and his kids growing up, etc. etc. Do you find it unreasonable for his entire family to move around with him wherever he goes, as a professional athlete? I'm pretty positive that the vast majority of Stevie's family still live here, should they move to Florida now that he will be there for a while?

Edited by Ram

Something to do with Stuart's wife not being allowed to be outside the state of California.

I thought it must have been something like this. I am not saying they should move with him... just that I never understood what the "personal reasons" were. I wonder why she can't leave cali?

He has a step daughter and I'm sure that has something to do with it. Could be the courts won't allow her to move, likely because the dad is still there.

Plus he's been away from his family for a long time, I could see him wanting to actually be able to be with them more.

Edited by WizardOfOz30

Less his tenure with the Bruins and Wings, he's always been a West Coast guy. It's completely understandable for him to want to move back there (where he has played before), especially towards the end of his career and his kids growing up, etc. etc. Do you find it unreasonable for his entire family to move around with him wherever he goes, as a professional athlete? I'm pretty positive that the vast majority of Stevie's family still live here, should they move to Florida now that he will be there for a while?

You are completely missing the point of my post...

If oz is right, it could be something as simple as his wife has a child from a past relationship who is not able to just relocate, leaving his wife who wants to stay in her life, stuck in Cali.

Who could blame her.

Guest Heaten

His wife has a daughter with another man. She can't move out of the state of California with her daughter... and obviously she's not going to leave her daughter behind.

Where's a working Portal device when you need one?

Obviously I hope Stuart stays here, but given those circumstances, I can't say I blame him for looking somewhere on the West Coast. Even if it's just not wanting to move the family, you still gotta feel for the guy.

I always thought (and maybe read somewhere?) that his kids were in school and he didn't want to uproot them.

That too. It would be one thing if he knew he were going to be with a team the rest of his career (and the step child issue weren't present) then I could see him moving them. He very well could have done that here since I'm sure we'd keep him if we could.

His wife has a daughter with another man. She can't move out of the state of California with her daughter... and obviously she's not going to leave her daughter behind.

That's how I remember the situation as well.

As others have mentioned, my understanding is that it has to do with custody of his stepchildren. If Stuart's wife were to move from California she would forfeit custody rights to the child(ren) she had with her ex-husband.

As others have mentioned, my understanding is that it has to do with custody of his stepchildren. If Stuart's wife were to move from California she would forfeit custody rights to the child(ren) she had with her ex-husband.

So what we're getting at is his wife's ex-husband is responsible for Stuart leaving us this offseason? *******. Which leads me to believe that he most likely as an ******* before all of this!

I did hear that it definitely has to do with his wife's daughter (Stuart's stepchild) and her connection to her biological father, but I didn't know that there was any legal binding involved. I was always under the impression that Stuart and his family did not want the daughter to grow up in a different state than her biological father.

Most states have a law that says you are only able to move a child so many miles away from their non-custodial parent. Michigan is 100 miles, so if they want to move any farther the court has to decide and it's up to the one that wants to move to prove that it would be to improve the quality of life for the child...and even then they don't have to say yes.

As I recall, when Stu was traded here, the little girl was about 9 or 10. They obviously didn't move at that time since it was near the end of the season and it was a rental. He would be UFA in a few months and there was a new baby on the way.

He then got a 4-year contract with a partial NTC. I remember that it was said at that time that he wanted to stay put until his step-daughter reached high school so that she wouldn't have to be uprooted again.

It seems that the plan was to bring her here. I knew a lady who was divorced in California, and in her case, in order to move away, she had to send her kids to live with their dad in the summer in order to avoid the every-other-weekend visits, which would not have worked over such a long distance.

The only reason she got that was that her ex allowed it.

Apparently in Stuie's case, either the dad or the courts didn't allow it, or he and his wife decided not to move the family.

I do recall that he declined a better offer from Calgary because he didn't want to send the little girl through customs alone on her visitations. Considering that he's from Alberta, that must have been a sacrifice.

Hearing how he has put his wife and her child ahead of his own interests has given me a huge amount of respect for him. I would love for him to stay, but I understand why he wants to be back with his wife and 4-year-old son.

It has to have been rough for him to be away from his little boy, yet he has honoured his contract with the Wings, even though things apparently didn't go as planned.

I wish him well where ever he goes, even if it's with an icky team like the Ducks.