• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

Maybe he is just using it as a negotiation ploy like lidstrom did.

Negotiating ploy? Nick's a 43 year old man who wants to see his kids grow up. He can't play captain forever, eventually he has to play dad and husband.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#42 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Lidstrom has played games in the past about "oh, I might move back to Sweden" Even the perfect human is all about the dollars. To think otherwise is naive.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#43 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that if they went to the court and said. If the kid moves to Michigan, her mother will remain married to a guy pulling in millions of dollars a year. This is in the benefit of the kid.

I would imagine that would make an easy case to win. If I was Stuart, I would also just offer to buy a house for the real father to live in rent free in Michigan. Unless the other guy makes 7 figures.

That's not really a benefit to take the child away from her father. It really is amazing sometimes how the court says they are doing things in the best interest of the child when in reality it's what's best for one or both of the parents. I say good for Brad not pulling her away from her dad.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#44 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

So what we're getting at is his wife's ex-husband is responsible for Stuart leaving us this offseason? *******. Which leads me to believe that he most likely as an ******* before all of this!

Must be a Sharks' fan. ;)

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Lidstrom has played games in the past about "oh, I might move back to Sweden" Even the perfect human is all about the dollars. To think otherwise is naive.

The reality is you have no idea what the actual claim or situation was. I could totally understand him seriously returning to his native country to raise his kids there and be with his family. I can also see an agent using that possibility as leverage.

To think you could possible know it was all about the dollars is extremely presumptuous.

#46 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

I certainly remember the stories claiming he was "reconsidering" the possibility of moving to Sweden. He has done that for as long as he has been earning the larger contracts. Every contract year I have heard stories about this.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

I certainly remember the stories claiming he was "reconsidering" the possibility of moving to Sweden. He has done that for as long as he has been earning the larger contracts. Every contract year I have heard stories about this.

It wasn't every contract year.

I'm not saying there weren't stories of this. I remember it too. But you're assuming it's purely a ploy for more money and not a legitimate consideration of taking his family and raising his kids back in his native Sweden.

#48 Mikeal

Mikeal

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Either way if it was 100% about the money he could have got way more than 6.7 from another team.

#49 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

That's not really a benefit to take the child away from her father. It really is amazing sometimes how the court says they are doing things in the best interest of the child when in reality it's what's best for one or both of the parents. I say good for Brad not pulling her away from her dad.

Not to mention that it assumes that moving is necessary to stay married. That casts Mrs. Stuart in a bad light as well. Not cool.

#50 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Pretty sure Nick only wanted to come back if he knew within himself he was able to perform at a level that was up to his expectations (as he exemplified last year). The guy is extremely hard on himself, I guarantee you he could play for a while still, but if he doesn't think he's good enough, he's gonna retire.

In any job, professional athlete included, money is going to play a major role in dictating how you make your decisions. Thanks for the update.

And I still think it's human nature to want to go back home after retiring, wherever you may be from. IMO.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#51 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Damn you Stuart! Why did you knock up a 40+ yr old lady with a kid!?!?!?!? damn it damn it damn it.. Where's Doc? Time to time travel ...
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#52 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

Cue the, “Oh, s***” alert: Expressen’s Linus Hugosson let me know via Twitter that he spoke to Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson recently, and Andersson told Hugosson that Brad Stuart is definitely leaving the Wings this summer.

Stuart leaving
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#53 wolverine1817

wolverine1817

Go Blue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

:( I would really really like it if Stuart stayed :(

#54 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Sadly we all saw this coming. I'm sure he would stay here if he could but family has to come first always. Will miss you Stuie.

It's a shame, he was doing a signing today and they advertised that it was his first since the 08 win...will be his last as a Wing too. :(

Edited by WizardOfOz30, 03 March 2012 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#55 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Spoken like a guy with no children and no good job offers.

#56 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

Pretty sure Nick only wanted to come back if he knew within himself he was able to perform at a level that was up to his expectations (as he exemplified last year). The guy is extremely hard on himself, I guarantee you he could play for a while still, but if he doesn't think he's good enough, he's gonna retire.

In any job, professional athlete included, money is going to play a major role in dictating how you make your decisions. Thanks for the update.

And I still think it's human nature to want to go back home after retiring, wherever you may be from. IMO.

I agree but want to add that the law of diminishing returns eventually applies to money, also. Lidstrom is one of the top money earners all time in the NHL with something like $97m earned over his career. I'm sure he has managed his money better than Scott Storch. At this point in his life, time is now more important than money, and probably has been for a few years now.

Lets face it: Years ago he had already accomplished everything he could ever dream about accomplishing as a Detroit Red Wing. We are fortunate to still have him.

#57 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Spoken like a guy with no children and no good job offers.

Spoken like a guy who couldnt possibly know any less about this "guy."

Take your personal attacks and pure ignorance elsewhere.

#58 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Spoken like a guy who couldnt possibly know any less about this "guy."

Take your personal attacks and pure ignorance elsewhere.

He probably knows as much about your personal situation and job choices as you do Lidstrom's.

#59 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

He probably knows as much about your personal situation and job choices as you do Lidstrom's.

Now you are just reaching far beyond logic here.

Get off your high moral ground before it caves in around you.

#60 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Now you are just reaching far beyond logic here.

Get off your high moral ground before it caves in around you.

reaching beyond logic?

In what universe do you know anything about what is going on in Lidstrom's family life?

You made a huge assumption on what Lidstrom's true intentions were, based on very little information. My logic is solid.