87 replies to this topic

#61 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

reaching beyond logic?

In what universe do you know anything about what is going on in Lidstrom's family life?

You made a huge assumption on what Lidstrom's true intentions were, based on very little information. My logic is solid.

My point is that you were trying to say some random poster knows as much about me as I, or anyone else who closely follows the wings, could gather up about a famous person who's private matters are paraded all over tv, newspapers, and this message board.

Case and point:

Anyone who has read this thread knows infinitely more about Brad Stuart's personal life than anyone here knows about mine COMBINED.

Point. Set. Match.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#62 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Spoken like a guy who couldnt possibly know any less about this "guy."

Take your personal attacks and pure ignorance elsewhere.

It's not a personal attack, nor is it an inference about your personal life, it's merely an observation of who you speak like. It was one sentence and I was pretty concise. If my own mother had posted your posts, I would have called her on it by giving her the same reply I gave you.

Your posts in this thread are not consistant with an adult who has experienced the heart wrenching dilema of having to choose between family and career. Wether you acutualy have or not, your posts certainly do not indicate that you have, or have learned anything by it. Simple as that, as it's pretty insensitive to both Stuart's and Lidstrom's respective situations. They each have a family first, and a team second. Many of the players who place their teams over family someday end up with neither.

Here's to thanking Lids and Stuart for their respective time as Detroit Red Wings, and wishing them well in the future.

And I wish you well, now, and in the future also.

#63 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

It's not a personal attack, nor is it an inference about your personal life, it's merely an observation of who you speak like. It was one sentence and I was pretty concise. If my own mother had posted your posts, I would have called her on it by giving her the same reply I gave you.

Your posts in this thread are not consistant with an adult who has experienced the heart wrenching dilema of having to choose between family and career. Wether you acutualy have or not, your posts certainly do not indicate that you have, or have learned anything by it. Simple as that, as it's pretty insensitive to both Stuart's and Lidstrom's respective situations. They each have a family first, and a team second. Many of the players who place their teams over family someday end up with neither.

Here's to thanking Lids and Stuart for their respective time as Detroit Red Wings, and wishing them well in the future.

And I wish you well, now, and in the future also.

I appreciate your well wishes in my own affairs, but you are viewing our heros in a god-like light.

While I am a longtime fan of our beloved team, I know that they are hardly models of wholesome family values. All of these players have chosen career over family...right or wrong. I am in no way judging as my own career is very dear to me.

Lidstrom, as well as any pro in any sport will play as long as their bodies allow them and they are earning the big bucks. I doubt any capable pro in any league would ever stop playing and earn a commoner's wage for the sake of "family." Its all about that green. And all of the trophy wives sitting in the stands know that.

I am sure if Detroit was the only team to offer Stuart a contract, he would be here, rather than retire and play Daddy. I would also bet that if Kenny threw Stu a few extra mil, he'd take the money.

If someone was willing to double or triple your income at a job you love, im sure you would make that oh so gut wrenching decision to move your family.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot), 03 March 2012 - 10:50 PM.

[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

#64 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

I appreciate your well wishes in my own affairs, but you are viewing our heros in a god-like light.

While I am a longtime fan of our beloved team, I know that they are hardly models of wholesome family values. All of these players have chosen career over family...right or wrong. I am in no way judging as my own career is very dear to me.

Lidstrom, as well as any pro in any sport will play as long as their bodies allow them and they are earning the big bucks. I doubt any capable pro in any league would ever stop playing and earn a commoner's wage for the sake of "family." Its all about that green. And all of the trophy wives sitting in the stands know that.

I am sure if Detroit was the only team to offer Stuart a contract, he would be here, rather than retire and play Daddy. I would also bet that if Kenny threw Stu a few extra mil, he'd take the money.

If someone was willing to double or triple your income at a job you love, im sure you would make that oh so gut wrenching decision to move your family.

Now who is making huge assumptions about someone they know nothing about?

#65 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Now who is making huge assumptions about someone they know nothing about?

Well I hope that someday you have the good fortune to have to make that decision like Lidstrom and Stuart.

#66 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

Wish the best for the Red Wings and Brad Stuart... Hope a decision can be made that both sides can be happy with
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#67 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

His family still lives in San Jose. I'm sure he'd like to play for San Jose if we're only talking about travel from home to work and ignore the fact that the Sharks are idiots. But Stuart is still a top four defenseman and I don't think San Jose has room for him in their top-four.

If SJ isn't much of an option then you got Anaheim and LA. Both places are 6 hours away. I know it sounds like a stupid question but how much of a difference does it make if he plays in Cali but is still 6 hours away from his home? It's not like he's going to make that trek every day. I imagine that he will live in his own place in LA or ANA.

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 03 March 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#68 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

We decided to do long distance, which on a relationship between two people really, really sucks to not be able to see each other that much.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#69 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

His family still lives in San Jose. I'm sure he'd like to play for San Jose if we're only talking about travel from home to work and ignore the fact that the Sharks are idiots. But Stuart is still a top four defenseman and I don't think San Jose has room for him in their top-four.

If SJ isn't much of an option then you got Anaheim and LA. Both places are 6 hours away. I know it sounds like a stupid question but how much of a difference does it make if he plays in Cali but is still 6 hours away from his home? It's not like he's going to make that trek every day. I imagine that he will live in his own place in LA or ANA.

At least that close they could get together. Perhaps it would be close enough for a move to be allowed, although I won't speculate as to the odds.

If he has to go, I hope it's LA so I can root for him without feeling icky.

#70 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Really sucks to see him leave, his still 32-33 and has about 4-5 years left in his tank. At least, we got his best years out of him. I feel like there will be a lot of changes this off season for this team.

Possible players going for retirement:

Holmstrom
Lidstrom

Stuart leaving us ... that's 2 critical spots on defense open ...

#71 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I can't recall ever hoping I was more wrong about something hockey-related, but I think he's gone. And I still hope I'm totally off the mark there.

Whoever said here that it's none of our business was absolutely right. But I was curious about what would make him sign in the first place; and as for his leaving Detroit, I didn't want to think it was his wife's fault for not even being willing to think about moving from the West Coast.

He's got to do what he's comfortable with and if he leaves, it'll be for his family. What more can you ask from any individual, hockey player or not? And in my book, he will always remain a class act. The Wings' team is known for class acts, and it's a compliment to say that I think he stands out in that collective group.

Edited by Vladifan, 04 March 2012 - 11:30 AM.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#72 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

My point is that you were trying to say some random poster knows as much about me as I, or anyone else who closely follows the wings, could gather up about a famous person who's private matters are paraded all over tv, newspapers, and this message board.

Case and point:

Anyone who has read this thread knows infinitely more about Brad Stuart's personal life than anyone here knows about mine COMBINED.

Point. Set. Match.

:rolleyes:

I love it when people say things like that. As if they've "won" some argument or made some brilliant point.

The reality is, you actually don't know jack about Lidstrom's personal life. You may know how much money he makes, even where he lives. But there's no way you could possibly know his mindset as he's deciding what to do with his life and his family. Yet you acted as if it were fact it was all about the money.

Same with Stuart. It's easy to sit back and judge people when you have no idea what is actually going on in their lives. Do you really not understand the difference between people speculating about someone's personal situation, and how their personal life actually is?

BOOM! *throws the mic down and walks off stage, hands over his head in victory*

Lidstrom, as well as any pro in any sport will play as long as their bodies allow them and they are earning the big bucks.I doubt any capable pro in any league would ever stop playing and earn a commoner's wage for the sake of "family." Its all about that green. And all of the trophy wives sitting in the stands know that.

Just wanted to highlight all the bad assumptions in your post.

Pro athletes are certainly human and have faults like the rest of us. But that doesn't necessarily mean they all fit your bitter jaded view of them either.

#73 Hatchet Barry

Hatchet Barry

Long Live The Winged Wheel

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

I love it when people say things like that. As if they've "won" some argument or made some brilliant point.

The reality is, you actually don't know jack about Lidstrom's personal life. You may know how much money he makes, even where he lives. But there's no way you could possibly know his mindset as he's deciding what to do with his life and his family. Yet you acted as if it were fact it was all about the money.

Same with Stuart. It's easy to sit back and judge people when you have no idea what is actually going on in their lives. Do you really not understand the difference between people speculating about someone's personal situation, and how their personal life actually is?

Pro athletes are certainly human and have faults like the rest of us. But that doesn't necessarily mean they all fit your bitter jaded view of them either.

LOL, Awesome, well played sir, well played.

Never undersestimate the predictability of stupidity

#74 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

haroldsnepsts :clap:

Brian Rafalski. $6 Million dollars.

"This was probably the most challenging season of my career, both physically, mentally and spiritually, but it was also the most rewarding and most blessed...The decision was made between myself and my wife approximately two months ago. We went through a long process of weighing different factors in our lives. At the end of the day it came down to priorities, with the top three priorities being serving God, serving my family and serving others."

Edited by b.shanafan14, 04 March 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#75 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

I like Stuart and think he is a pretty damn good D-man. Although he does seem to have at least one bad turn over at the worst time in the biggest of games (cup finals, playoff games). He is 32 I think so he has probably hit his peak as a player and it might not be that big of a loss. Im sure he would need a decent size contract and maybe he will start to slow down with age and not be worth it. Be good to see where Kindle and Smith will slot in next year and cheaper.

Edited by Krayzie_Bone, 04 March 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#76 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

You have yet to use any substance to back up your arguments. All you can say is " ZOMG , HE IS WRONG" and start lighting the torches.

The tennis reference is referring to the fact that you are outright wrong when you said some poster knows more about my decision making than I might know about some of our beloved red wings.

The logic is simple...

You really think Brad would retire if it was Detroit or nothing? While he was still a top 4 defensemen?

Hell if it is all about family... why doesn't he just hang em up now? He's made more money than 99 percent of people will make in a lifetime. Why re-sign in Detroit in 2008? I thought family was first??

As for Rafalski, he retired because his body could no longer handle the game. If he was so concerned with god and his family, why didn't he just retire after his first pay day, and live off of that being god's missionary and spend every day with his family? Wanna guess why?

Green makes the world go round. I don't know what fairy tale land you live in.

#77 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

You have yet to use any substance to back up your arguments. All you can say is " ZOMG , HE IS WRONG" and start lighting the torches.

The tennis reference is referring to the fact that you are outright wrong when you said some poster knows more about my decision making than I might know about some of our beloved red wings.

The logic is simple...

You really think Brad would retire if it was Detroit or nothing? While he was still a top 4 defensemen?

Hell if it is all about family... why doesn't he just hang em up now? He's made more money than 99 percent of people will make in a lifetime. Why re-sign in Detroit in 2008? I thought family was first??

As for Rafalski, he retired because his body could no longer handle the game. If he was so concerned with god and his family, why didn't he just retire after his first pay day, and live off of that being god's missionary and spend every day with his family? Wanna guess why?

Your argument is basically that you know what is going on in the personal lives of people you don't even know, so I don't need a ton of substance to refute such a badly flawed argument. You can make guesses and assumptions about what their motivations are, but they're just that. Guesses and assumptions.

Green may make your world go round, but here's a little secret. You don't speak for everyone. People from all walks of life chose more important things than money.

More on topic, it's seeming more and more that Stuart is gone. He was a great pickup and will be missed. Hopefully he's a beast this playoffs if it's his last one in the winged wheel.

#78 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

:rolleyes: You sure are neat...

FIRST you're telling me that he "could no longer handle the game" after minor health set-backs and only one season with significant time missed, while still scoring .762ppg. BUT at the same time, he would do anything for the money despite family, like some Nazi-era antisemitic caricature? AND your proof is that he wasn't quite so pious as to get paid his first million and retire to spend every day with his family and god, like some Franciscan monk?... astounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak516vtDTEA&feature=related

Edited by b.shanafan14, 04 March 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#79 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Your argument is basically that you know what is going on in the personal lives of people you don't even know, so I don't need a ton of substance to refute such a badly flawed argument. You can make guesses and assumptions about what their motivations are, but they're just that. Guesses and assumptions.

Green may make your world go round, but here's a little secret. You don't speak for everyone. People from all walks of life chose more important things than money.

More on topic, it's seeming more and more that Stuart is gone. He was a great pickup and will be missed. Hopefully he's a beast this playoffs if it's his last one in the winged wheel.

Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Actions speak louder than words?"

You don't necessarily need to be a fly on the wall in some of these players' homes to at least know somewhat about their decision making
processes. Not to mention the numerous interviews and people like the lgw faithful which pride themselves on knowing way too much about the players. Some of us live in the same communities as these players and know a lot more about them than you may think.

And to the poster slinging nonsense historical references, if you do your homework, you would find that Rafalski's knees were bothering him so much his last two years he couldn't take it anymore. He had double knee braces and sometimes had a hard time walking but still laced them up. He was a small guy, and took a lot of abuse. Also, to say that he scored xx ppg or whatever stat you looked up doesn't mean s*** considering he played all year with Nick and on the first powerplay. Many players leave the league off of good numbers because their bodies couldn't take it.

#80 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Actions speak louder than words?"

You don't necessarily need to be a fly on the wall in some of these players' homes to at least know somewhat about their decision making
processes. Not to mention the numerous interviews and people like the lgw faithful which pride themselves on knowing way too much about the players. Some of us live in the same communities as these players and know a lot more about them than you may think.

And to the poster slinging nonsense historical references, if you do your homework, you would find that Rafalski's knees were bothering him so much his last two years he couldn't take it anymore. He had double knee braces and sometimes had a hard time walking but still laced them up. He was a small guy, and took a lot of abuse. Also, to say that he scored xx ppg or whatever stat you looked up doesn't mean s*** considering he played all year with Nick and on the first powerplay. Many players leave the league off of good numbers because their bodies couldn't take it.

Right. but you were basing your argument on words. Speculation about him going back to Sweden and that being purely a negotiating tactic.

His actions are that he has played for the Wings for 19 seasons now, and taken a hometown discount for multiple contract signings.