• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumnj

Legacy of Ken Holland

Rate this topic

It's true only in the faintest sense. Holland traded away picks that other teams chose to spend on those players. How the picks were used was entirely in the hands of the those teams.

Yeah, its not like when we drafted Keith Primeau and left Jagr on the table...

Wow so Holland gave up:

Petr Sykora, Patrick Sharp, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Mike Green, Thomas Fleischmann, Mike Comrie, and Mike Knuble for ...

Jamie Macoun, Doug Brown, Stefan Liv, and Robert Lang???

thumbdown.gifscared.gifthumbdown.gif

That's not the Petr Sykora you are thinking it is.

Guest Crymson

Yeah, its not like when we drafted Keith Primeau and left Jagr on the table...

Holland wasn't even assistant general manager at that stage.

A big thanks for the OP here and his efforts, this probably took a lot of time and it was a really good read that brought back some fuzzy memories of a lot of players I haven't thought about in a long time.

I think the most painful on that list is that we could have landed Sharp if they did indeed take him with that pick. Hes one of my current favotite non-Wings in the NHL. The Trade Deadline isn't what it used to be before the salary cap was put into effect, and i'm getting to the point where i'm not sure i'll be excited for next year's deadline. The past three years have been dull and I think it's a trend that will continue unfortunately.

No salary cap, those were the days. :cool:

IIRC, they both signed for like $1m in order to play together, causing many internet jokes about them also picking out drapes. I don't think the salary cap was the issue here.

EDIT: Before I get flamed, I was simply pointing out that the salary cap had no bearing on getting those two players on the same team that season. It had to do with two friends wanting to play together and hopefully win a cup. Didn't quite work out in the end, though.

Edited by Uncle Danny

IIRC, they both signed for like $1m in order to play together, causing many internet jokes about them also picking out drapes. I don't think the salary cap was the issue here.

EDIT: Before I get flamed, I was simply pointing out that the salary cap had no bearing on getting those two players on the same team that season. It had to do with two friends wanting to play together and hopefully win a cup. Didn't quite work out in the end, though.

Yea I remember the Kariya-Selanne bargain deals. My comment was towards the Hatcher contract.

And Lindros was all the rage then. Primeau was considered the next Lindros.

Hindsight. Did YOU know that he was going to blow his knee out?

Exactly! Hatcher was a beast before his injury, then he got bought out the next year...these same people ***** about Mike Modano signing as well!

anyhow, to the OP, great list but you left out one thing he does EVERY year at the deadline and July 1st.

"Kicked the tires and had some interests."

No s*** Sherlock. Did I ever say he was?

And Lindros was all the rage then. Primeau was considered the next Lindros

Eh? Lindros wasn't even drafted till the following year, and make it to the NHL till the year after that.