• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ComradeWasabi

Justin Abdelkader: A fighter's courage, but no fighter's skill

Rate this topic

From http://thedetroithustle.com/2012/02/28/justin-abdelkader-a-fighters-courage-but-no-fighters-skills/:

Justin Abdelkader: The fury now rests nearly solely on your shoulders — or, more specifically, your fists.

It’s not like Mike Commodore was playing much anyway, but with his trade to Tampa Bay for a ham sandwich, you Mr. Justin Abdel of Kader are the last role player Mike Babcock has to sacrifice to the five-minute major in the name of mixing things up. Sure, others will fight, but you’ve become the Red Wings’ last real fighter.

The value provided doesn’t go unnoticed. Your fight on Saturday with the Red Wings down 4-1 was talked about by many in the sacred section 223. The two old men in row seven who complained about literally everything the entire game were adamant after the Red Wings cut the lead to one that it was your face getting bashed in by Ryan Wilson that inspired the rest of the team to score two goals in the final seven minutes of play.

But you can’t fire up the team with your strong chin forever. With this new role, eventually you’re going to have to stay on your feet and land a few combinations. Hockeyfights.com has the Abdelkader fight card at 2-4 this season, with both victories coming over Maxim Lapierre*. And after witnessing the Wilson fight live and repeatedly watching numerous replays of the felonious assault that Ryan Clowe dished out, I can see why.

You could use some help.

Interesting article explaining why Abdelkader sucks at fighting. Hopefully he reads it.

It is pretty sad that he has to take it on the chin, because Holland doesn't dress anyone else who's willing to do it consistently. I hope he doesn't get a concussion from trying to "fire his team up"

Yep, we've been hearing "heavy winger" and "someone to keep the flies off" for years now.

esteef

:lol:

On a serious note - this will turn into another enforcer debate in which those who know me well enough know where I stand on this topic.

Thought maybe if I baited you enough you'd drop the gloves. Not my day I guess. Anyway, here's a link to an interview with Joey Kocur from the radio show "This American Life". Interesting interview. Nothing really new, but something the enforcer types will love none the less.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/363/enforcers

Yep, we've been hearing "heavy winger" and "someone to keep the flies off" for years now.

esteef

I never did hear what the "Moen" asking price was?

I just want a big tough fourth liner Kenny, is that so much to ask for?

And the city of Detroit is tired of watching their fighters get their asses kicked. That's not what the town stands for.

Has the author ever been in a hockey fight? It's a bit more difficult than he believes.

I don't know about the author, but I have been in my share of fights both on and off the ice, and if you can handle yourself off the ice, it will bode well for you on the ice. You see, I don't think Justin has been in many fights off the ice(and if you're a good, law-abiding citizen, that's a good thing), because his defensive skills and patience are terrible. Put your off-arm straight out, leave your throwing arm loose and at your side, and wait for your opening. And in a hockey fight, it's always best to let your opponent make the first move, assuming you know what you're doing. Justin doesn't, and the fight is usually over before it even begins. He does not have a good fighting stance, and he definitely has no patience. Also, lose the shield! Tough guys don't wear shields!

Now, I'm not saying Abby should go out to some bar and pick a few fights with some Hell's Angels, but he should at least watch some old Joey Kocur fights, and watch what he does. Or better yet, ask Joe to give him some tips. He's sometimes around. Joe was a guy who knew how to end a fight quickly. Justin will NEVER be in Kocur's league, but he can become a better fighter. Hell, he can't be much worse. I respect him for trying, but he can't keep getting his ass kicked. He's a tough kid and he can take a punch(or 10), but he must improve his whole game or just not fight at all.

Edited by Hairy Lime

Thanks for the link you provided - I've always liked Kocur, and was so proud of him when he returned to the Wings, and played a role in our 97/98 Cup winning teams.

The host reminds me of this guy who narrates this clip

That's a strange coincidence. Joey reminds me of the badger

All the more reason to bring in Ott during the offseason and take some pressure off of Abby.

He could take some of the pressure of Bertuzzi too by become our bona fide #1 penalty minutes leader by a TON. No thanks on Ott. Twice a many penalty minutes as Bert. Zero more fights than Abby.

Everyone can learn to how to fight - but not everyone can brawl. It seems that Abby tries to go Wanderlei Silva apesh*t everytime a fight happens, tossing elbow punches and defending poorly, then ussually ends up eating a shot and falling, or losing his balance and falling while missing. Some guys naturally excel using the "beserker" method - while other guys just naturally never seem all that confortable wrecklessly gunslinging.

He would be well served to practice on the ice - after pracy, just wrestling around with the likes of E and Bert working on maintaining balance and controlling arms. Abby is a strong kid - he should use more of a grapple first, contain, then counter punch style. ALA, like Barnaby except hes bigger/stronger and hopefully wont be fighting nearly as tough of guys nearly as much. All it takes is one clean one from any Clowe type of guy to concuss you into 2013 (ask Lilja) so he should improve his skills and pick his spots carefully.

thats what playing college hockey has a great potential to do to you. If he wanted to be a fighter or had any inkling in his mind that he might have to do it in the future he should have joined junior. I still don't know why they don't ditch the cages and allow fighting in college.

Probably due to liability/insurance, and the NCAA wants a nice wholesome image...We can't have that Major Junior "thuggery" permeate into our precious collegiate system now can we :rolleyes:

the problem is in many cases there are more elbows and high sticks and guys blowing up and going insane in college due to the cages and lack of fighting.

I just want a big tough fourth liner Kenny, is that so much to ask for?

I agree with you, it would be a nice luxury to have, but it just doesn't fit the current DRW scheme. When the Wings had players who were more gritty and could throw down, I guess I'm thinking the Grind Line or a Dallas Drake, they brought something else to the table and were a good overall hockey player as well who could sometimes bury and always got back on defense. That kind of player is hard to come by in this league these days.

I agree with you, it would be a nice luxury to have, but it just doesn't fit the current DRW scheme. When the Wings had players who were more gritty and could throw down, I guess I'm thinking the Grind Line or a Dallas Drake, they brought something else to the table and were a good overall hockey player as well who could sometimes bury and always got back on defense. That kind of player is hard to come by in this league these days.

What kind of player? A gritty fighter who can score as many points as Helm, Emmerton or Abby? Those players are easy to find all around the league.

Edited by GMRwings1983

In the 2007-2008 season Dallas Drake only fought 5 times (one less than Abby this season) and according to hockeyfights.com he only won two of them.