• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

I had a reply all set, ready to go. I start typing and the door bell rings. I go to answer it, open the door and it's the "Thought Police". They reminded me that I have changed my mind.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#22 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

thats what playing college hockey has a great potential to do to you. If he wanted to be a fighter or had any inkling in his mind that he might have to do it in the future he should have joined junior. I still don't know why they don't ditch the cages and allow fighting in college.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

thats what playing college hockey has a great potential to do to you. If he wanted to be a fighter or had any inkling in his mind that he might have to do it in the future he should have joined junior. I still don't know why they don't ditch the cages and allow fighting in college.

Probably due to liability/insurance, and the NCAA wants a nice wholesome image...We can't have that Major Junior "thuggery" permeate into our precious collegiate system now can we :rolleyes:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Probably due to liability/insurance, and the NCAA wants a nice wholesome image...We can't have that Major Junior "thuggery" permeate into our precious collegiate system now can we :rolleyes:

the problem is in many cases there are more elbows and high sticks and guys blowing up and going insane in college due to the cages and lack of fighting.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#25 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

I just want a big tough fourth liner Kenny, is that so much to ask for?

I agree with you, it would be a nice luxury to have, but it just doesn't fit the current DRW scheme. When the Wings had players who were more gritty and could throw down, I guess I'm thinking the Grind Line or a Dallas Drake, they brought something else to the table and were a good overall hockey player as well who could sometimes bury and always got back on defense. That kind of player is hard to come by in this league these days.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

I agree with you, it would be a nice luxury to have, but it just doesn't fit the current DRW scheme. When the Wings had players who were more gritty and could throw down, I guess I'm thinking the Grind Line or a Dallas Drake, they brought something else to the table and were a good overall hockey player as well who could sometimes bury and always got back on defense. That kind of player is hard to come by in this league these days.

What kind of player? A gritty fighter who can score as many points as Helm, Emmerton or Abby? Those players are easy to find all around the league.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 29 February 2012 - 10:16 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

In the 2007-2008 season Dallas Drake only fought 5 times (one less than Abby this season) and according to hockeyfights.com he only won two of them.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#28 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

Ask Robidas about Dallas Drake.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#29 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Ask Robidas about Dallas Drake.

esteef

Wasn't aware that Drake fought Robidas?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#30 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

if homer retire wouldn't mind a fighter taking his spot on the 4th line.

oh, and abby needs to work on his left and he will be fine. we saw what happened when he got is lose against lappy.

Edited by redwingfan19, 29 February 2012 - 10:34 PM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#31 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

He didn't.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#32 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWW594wLzRU

Dallas Drake was a straight up head hunter. :D

Edited by redwingfan19, 29 February 2012 - 11:05 PM.

14 Fighting Majors

#33 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

While this type player is always in demand, I think there are more than enough for us to grab one. There are plenty of tougher guys who offer face offs, hitting, penalty kill, hitting, and of course fighting while producing enough points.
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

He didn't.

esteef

So the point you were trying to make is that on occasion Dallas Drake was capable of hitting 180 lbs. puck moving defensemen pretty hard?

#35 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

So the point you were trying to make is that on occasion Dallas Drake was capable of hitting 180 lbs. puck moving defensemen pretty hard?

Lets not forget Drake was 38 years old and well past his prime when he played for the Wings in 08.

He was a wrecking ball and pound for pound one of the toughest at one time.

14 Fighting Majors

#36 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

No I think what hes trying to say is that Drake was an absolutely huge hitter on the cup run and also capable of sticking up for his teammates through the regular season. He would have had more then 5 fights that year but Downey did all the fighting on that squad.

Abdelkader is like a Dallas Drake, capable of defending teammates and a big hitter but shouldnt be the guy carrying the load of the fighting because he cant handle the Clowes of the league. Adding one guy to take on the brunt of the load and allowing Abdelkader to run around more crushing guys without having to fight all the time would be perfect

Detroit needs to get their hands on Prust this offseason :cool:

And for the record I think Abdelkader is a fine middlweight scrapper, hes fought some pretty big tough guys lately and was at the end of a long shift against Jones. Hes really only just embraced the fighting role and played NCAA so he couldnt hone his fighting skill like guys who played in the CHL. Give him a couple more years and he'll be a very good middleweight

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#37 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

The Red Wings have enough offensive ability in their top 3 lines to dress a fighter every night. Everyone keeps saying (Babs included) that a fighter is useless since all they do is eat up minutes and take penalties. Yeah, they do that. They also (if they can hit, which most of the time they can) keep the other team's stars and ass-clowns looking over their shoulder and hopefully distracts them from what they do best (score goals and run around being ass-clowns).

This team can support a legit enforcer (i.e. Parros, McGrattan, Kocur, etc) that is expected to keep the peace and lay on the occasional big hit, and possibly find a niche in the Red Wing' style of play as a net front presence (replacing Homer eventually). A power-forward that is a good fighter and scorer (i.e. Lucic) is rare and can't really be pursued since they are high value to their current team. Which is why a 3rd line player on a non-playoff team (Moen) commands a high price or isn't on the block at all.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#38 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

The Red Wings have enough offensive ability in their top 3 lines to dress a fighter every night. Everyone keeps saying (Babs included) that a fighter is useless since all they do is eat up minutes and take penalties. Yeah, they do that. They also (if they can hit, which most of the time they can) keep the other team's stars and ass-clowns looking over their shoulder and hopefully distracts them from what they do best (score goals and run around being ass-clowns).

This team can support a legit enforcer (i.e. Parros, McGrattan, Kocur, etc) that is expected to keep the peace and lay on the occasional big hit, and possibly find a niche in the Red Wing' style of play as a net front presence (replacing Homer eventually). A power-forward that is a good fighter and scorer (i.e. Lucic) is rare and can't really be pursued since they are high value to their current team. Which is why a 3rd line player on a non-playoff team (Moen) commands a high price or isn't on the block at all.

I wouldn't want McGratton, his off the ice issues aren't what this organization needs... Babcock Holland Illitch wouldn't tolerate his partying habits. As long as Holland is the GM, its safe to say there will not be an enforcer type player on Detroit. I agree with the person who posted that Abby should get Kocur to help him with his positioning of his body during a scrap, the leverage and positioning a large part of it, and I think Abby looks off-balance in most of the scraps. Ive always noticed that Kocur Downey or Probie tried having their feet perpendicular to the oppoent, digging into the ice allowing them to use their legs and hips in each punch. Just a thought people.......

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

the problem is in many cases there are more elbows and high sticks and guys blowing up and going insane in college due to the cages and lack of fighting.

Yup - I agree with ya 100%, and so do neanderthals - erm GM's like Brian Burke.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

No I think what hes trying to say is that Drake was an absolutely huge hitter on the cup run and also capable of sticking up for his teammates through the regular season. He would have had more then 5 fights that year but Downey did all the fighting on that squad.

Abdelkader is like a Dallas Drake, capable of defending teammates and a big hitter but shouldnt be the guy carrying the load of the fighting because he cant handle the Clowes of the league. Adding one guy to take on the brunt of the load and allowing Abdelkader to run around more crushing guys without having to fight all the time would be perfect

Detroit needs to get their hands on Prust this offseason :cool:

And for the record I think Abdelkader is a fine middlweight scrapper, hes fought some pretty big tough guys lately and was at the end of a long shift against Jones. Hes really only just embraced the fighting role and played NCAA so he couldnt hone his fighting skill like guys who played in the CHL. Give him a couple more years and he'll be a very good middleweight

No doubt he was a pretty good hitter, but I don't think the example I'd use to show that would be a couple of hits on Stephane Robidas..you know, considering the guy is small and isn't real tough. It would be like saying "Check out how tough Jordin Tootoo is. He absolutely killed Cory Emmerton here."

I agree with you on Abby though.

Edited by kipwinger, 01 March 2012 - 10:58 AM.