• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
aMonster

Presidents Trophy

Rate this topic

I'm curious for opinions on how much value should be placed on chasing the presidents trophy for the top three/four teams? Both from a personal perspective (point of pride, bragging rights etc..) and from a team perspective for real advantage right down to the SCF?

Obviously home ice advantage is nothing to sneeze at but you can have that for most of yer series just by finishing high in your conference but, if yer team is in the running for the Presidents Trophy and they have only five games left in the regular season, do you want/expect them to push hard for it or rest up instead for the start of the playoffs?

It's always neat to know your team did the best in the regular season but in the long run it doesn't matter (27% of the teams winning the PT also win the Cup). It may be more important to a team that is great at home and iffy on the road (Wings) but it's definitely not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

Look at the 05-06 Wings.

I think in the grand scheme of things, especially in the current NHL, it means absolutely nothing to me. They don't raise the President's Trophy over their heads.

I think one also has to consider that by the time a team makes it all the way to final, any small advantage becomes psychologically huge.. but that can go either way depending on how your run has gone. Obviously didn't do the Canucks any good last year but I cant believe very many teams wouldn't absolutely want Home Ice if they actually make it to the final?

It's always neat to know your team did the best in the regular season but in the long run it doesn't matter (27% of the teams winning the PT also win the Cup). It may be more important to a team that is great at home and iffy on the road (Wings) but it's definitely not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

Look at the 05-06 Wings.

Actually a 1 in 4 chance is pretty significant considering 16 teams make it into the postseason

Edited by Echolalia

As far as the top teams go, to be sucessful I thinkt Detroit and New York need it the most. The Canucks have been great on the road this season, and the Bruins have shown they can get the job done on the road in the playoffs before.

I'm with Detroit #1 fan. I think this year, it means a lot to the Red WIngs. They seem to play a different style of hockey in from of the crowd at the Joe. It seems like the city of Detroit has almost rallied around the Red Wings like New Orleans did with the Saints. I think the President's trophy is a big deal. It says you were the best in the regular season and you get rewarded for that. Teams like Boston and Pittsburgh, and the Canucks have shown they can win outside of their arenas. Detroit on the other had is .500 ( as of 3/1/12) on the road and have a killer home record.

It would be hard to argue against the President's cup meaning a lot to Detroit this year but in past years and most years, it's just a trophy without a trophy.

They seem to play a different style of hockey in from of the crowd at the Joe. It seems like the city of Detroit has almost rallied around the Red Wings like New Orleans did with the Saints. .

This. I've was at games 3 and 5 last year vs San Jose and #21 vs the stars. Insane atmospheres (i swear i lost some of my hearing At that game 5) I'm a transplant to Detroit (but have been a fan since about 1990) and one thing I love is that the players here absolutely love the fans. The salute to us at the end of the game vs the stars I will never forget. Detroit is a blue collar sports town I would say unrivaled anywhere because the players also realize that and what this city is going through. When a fan base and team both appreciate each other (see also tigers and lions last year) it makes for great memories for both sides. I truely hope the players (some of whom make more in a short career than we all will make in one lifetime combined) realize that...

That said, I'll quote someone I absolutely hated (because I am a Charger fan through and through). "just win, baby"

I echo the sentiment of the "Cup's what matters" crowd. However, any year your team wins the President's Trophy is a year your team did a whole lot of winning and probably made you pretty happy (or not happy at all, as they case sometimes is around these parts :P), so it has some small amount of value in my opinion.

Then Tim Thomas refuses to acknowledge that the trophy even exists.

Haha nice.

To me it means very little. Sure, keep stocking the trophy case, that's always nice to brag about down the road. Year by year though, it means nothing and the home ice in the playoffs is what I would be happy about.

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing

President not that important. What I think is pretty important is winning the Central. If you don't win Central, you'll most likely have to face #5, right now it is the reloaded Nashville Predators who wants it all.

Actually a 1 in 4 chance is pretty significant considering 16 teams make it into the postseason

It's actually a lot less of a chance than that. Just because 7 out of 25 teams since its induction have won the President's Trophy have also won the Stanley Cup has nothing to do with the actual percentage that that particular team would win the playoffs that year. Since it's a lot of math and since each series has a number of different outcomes in terms of probability, I won't explain it all, but just trust me when I say that it is definitely not a little more than a 1 in 4 chance that a team is going to win the Stanley Cup just based on history of who has won both in a single season.

Sorry, nerd moment for the night. I get where you are coming from though. Based on history, it does indicate that a little over 25% of the teams that won the President's Trophy have also won the Cup that season, but it's not a cause and effect thing in terms of the playoff format.

If you want to look at some kind of correlation if teams who win Presidents Trophies also win the Stanley Cup, I don't think that it's that important. Not trying to say/imply that the trophy is a jinx, or that it is more important than it is in this sense.

So, given that and most years, I think it's a nice goal to have and something to strive for, but not of the utmost importance in the world.

However, given this year that the division the Wings are in 4 of the 5 teams simply would not lose at most points in the season (now 3 of 5) and the Wings dominance at home most this season, I'd say it is very important in this season. At worst getting one of the top 3 seeds in the league.

In a somewhat related topic to this, I noticed Detroit is 4th in the West now with St Louis taking our spot at the top of the division. Anyone know how that worked out? We have the same exact number of points, more wins, more goals for and we've beaten them 3 out of 5 games this year. How do they come out on top in the tie breaker? :blink: