• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
aMonster

Presidents Trophy

Rate this topic

In a somewhat related topic to this, I noticed Detroit is 4th in the West now with St Louis taking our spot at the top of the division. Anyone know how that worked out? We have the same exact number of points, more wins, more goals for and we've beaten them 3 out of 5 games this year. How do they come out on top in the tie breaker? :blink:

The first tiebreaker is regulation (edit: or overtime...ie non shootout) wins, the blues have one more (36 to 35) than the Wings.

Edited by sandyeggo wingnut

Okay, I would guess that the pride and bragging rights from winning it mean absolutely nothing to anyway.

That said, this year, like no other, it may be more important for the Wings due to their crazy difference in home vs. road record.

The other thing to consider though, a team could have home ice advantage all through the playoffs without actually winning the PT. Winning the PT would guarantee that though.

I'm curious for opinions on how much value should be placed on chasing the presidents trophy for the top three/four teams? Both from a personal perspective (point of pride, bragging rights etc..) and from a team perspective for real advantage right down to the SCF?

call me a spoiled Wings fan, but to me it only matters as far as it gives the home ice advantage and chance to avoid better teams in earlier rounds. but personally I'd rather see Wings finish like 2nd or 3rd to still avoid quality competition but also to not run into a hot team that clinched playoff spot after going very hot at the end of the season. read: Ducks or Oilers trauma.

Obviously home ice advantage is nothing to sneeze at but you can have that for most of yer series just by finishing high in your conference but, if yer team is in the running for the Presidents Trophy and they have only five games left in the regular season, do you want/expect them to push hard for it or rest up instead for the start of the playoffs?

nope. I'd rather see the team rest veterans, give'm a day off to enjoy with family. what's even more important: steer clear from any chance of freak injury right before playoffs, especially as those "miraculously" happen when playing against potential playoff competition.

in short: absolutely not. I'd rather have healthy, rested team entering the playoffs against better opponent, than top berth with incomplete roster.

Did the Wings ever win the Cup with a horrible road playoff record?

I mean, you're not likely to win every one of your home games in the postseason. It's too hard and puts too much pressure on you. You have to win on the road whether you have home ice or not.

Honestly, I've never watched a playoff series where the winner/loser was decided by home ice. Closest was the 2003 Finals, and New Jersey was just a flat out better team and lost two of the road games in OT.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Did the Wings ever win the Cup with a horrible road playoff record?

I

Yes. I don't know (or haven't bothered to dig through records) from back in the 30s, 40s and 50s, but their record was pretty bad in 97 and 98:

1997 - 18-14-9

1998 - 19-15-7

Edit....actually, those records aren't as bad as I thought as the 9 and the 7 are ties, not losses as they would appear today.

Edited by toby91_ca

In a somewhat related topic to this, I noticed Detroit is 4th in the West now with St Louis taking our spot at the top of the division. Anyone know how that worked out? We have the same exact number of points, more wins, more goals for and we've beaten them 3 out of 5 games this year. How do they come out on top in the tie breaker? :blink:

The first tiebreaker is regulation (edit: or overtime...ie non shootout) wins, the blues have one more (36 to 35) than the Wings.

As Sandyeggo said, it's determined by regulation overtime wins; otherwise referred to as ROW. This is to essentially declare that SO wins are not real wins, but you still get 2 points for them. Which is why SO wins suck.

Guest Crymson

It's always neat to know your team did the best in the regular season but in the long run it doesn't matter (27% of the teams winning the PT also win the Cup). It may be more important to a team that is great at home and iffy on the road (Wings) but it's definitely not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

Look at the 05-06 Wings.

Or the '08-'09 Sharks, ha ha ha.

If Crosby ever returns from brain surgery, he'll piss on that President's trophy like he did last time.

Which time are you referring to?

Yes. I don't know (or haven't bothered to dig through records) from back in the 30s, 40s and 50s, but their record was pretty bad in 97 and 98:

1997 - 18-14-9

1998 - 19-15-7

Edit....actually, those records aren't as bad as I thought as the 9 and the 7 are ties, not losses as they would appear today.

I meant a horrible road playoff record.

Or the '08-'09 Sharks, ha ha ha.

Which time are you referring to?

Yeah, I guess we didn't win the President's trophy in 2009, but we still had home ice over the Pens. Didn't seem to matter at the end of the day.

The Club has won the Stanley Cup three times with an Away Games Points Percentage of less than 0.500: 1935-36, 1942-43 and 1953-54. The lowest was 1953-54, 0.471.

Yeah, I was looking more at playoff road records. You have to win big playoff games on the road to win the Cup.

All the Cup winning years I saw, the Wings had to win big playoff games on the road and did. That was my point about home ice advantage not being that important.

Lets face it if the Wings don't have home ice for the Western playoffs they won't see the Finals so finishing 4th where I think they finish 2nd will not get the job done as they need home ice. As for the Finals the only team I fear in the East is the Penguins as I think the Wings can take either the Rangers or Bruins.

Um, it's true that the Wings aren't that great on the road this year, but am I the only one who's not really worried about it for the playoffs? I mean, it's the playoffs, not just a normal regular season game. I guess I'm just confident that they'll stop skating around with no effort most of the time.

Well, the Wings traveled out west in 1997, 1998 and 2002, yet that didn't stop them from winning the Cup. If a team is motivated and deserving to win the Cup, they will, regardless of travel.

We swept Phoenix last year, but still lost the first 3 to San Jose, despite being the more rested team.

The winners of the President's trophy don't get to meet the president, the Stanley Cup Champs do. I rest my case.

Do we even have room? The rafters are getting pretty full.

We can donate a banner to Nashville so their new "Stanley Cup Champs" banner can at least have some point of reference. :lol:

No one remembers who won the President's Trophy 3-5 years after the fact, but they certainly remember who won the cup. Having said that, I would never argue with winning the President's Trophy, but I'll survive without it.

I think we need to change this discussion to if they are gonna hang on to 4th in the West b/c they are not finishing first in the West plain & simple!

And you know this how?

Both teams have 12 games left. Both teams have 89 points at present.

The injury bug stinks lately but it's not like this team has been playing just downright awful even with the injuries.

To say that they aren't going to win the division where there is still plenty of season left to be played for for both teams and so much undetermined still is absolutely asinine.