• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacAttack25

Nystrom hit on Letang

Rate this topic

Ok, I'm confused. Doesn't part of the new enforcement deal with hitting guys when they're in vulnerable positions or no?

Note: Nevermind, the vulnerable position stuff was added to rule 48 on boarding. As he wasn't boarded this isn't an issue and the hit is ok.

Edited by kipwinger

Ok, I'm confused. Doesn't part of the new enforcement deal with hitting guys when they're in vulnerable positions or no?

Yeah, but not if the player puts themselves in a vulnerable position immediately prior. It's also not just free reign on players to put themselves in vulnerable positions and be protected.

Brendan Shanahan ‏ @NHLShanahan Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

...although it appears that the chin is grazed by the side of Nystrom's arm, the right chest and shoulder of Letang remain the PPOC. No SD.

Makes sense.

Honestly watching it full speed it looked like a textbook headshot. Then on the replay you can see it's not and that Letang put himself in a vulnerable position. Just shows how hard it is for refs to catch this stuff in the game. Good on them for not tossing Nystrom for the hit.

I think the game has gotten so fast that many players on the ice may not see what actually took place, and when in doubt, or if they feel a teammate was taken advantage of it's the mentality of - "shoot 1st and ask questions later".

My memory is far from perfect, but what I do recall is that certain players like Gretzky, and our very own Stevie Y were deemed "untouchable", and if any opponent got a little too rough with them - well here's Mr. Probert, or Mr. McSorley...Heck - I can remember Gallant beating the snot outta Chelios back in the old Chicago Stadium because Cheli roughed up a very young guy by the name of Sergei Fedorov.

In those days I think intimidation played more of a role than it does in todays game, and when a teammate takes exception in todays game - it gets alot more attention.

That's how I remember it too.

There were the stars that if you took a run at, you'd likely be answering to someone like Probie or Semenko.

But now it's like every good hard hit results in teammates mugging the guy who threw the hit. I looked back at some old hockey vids on youtube, and there were a lot of huge hits--some of them even looked dirty--and the play kept going. Obviously that's a small sample, but it confirmed how I remembered it.

Big hits would make the games chippier overall. But they didn't immediately result in having to drop the gloves and fight just because you checked someone, like so often happens now.

just an utter disgrace of a call, he avoided as much head contact as possible and it even looks like is bicep goes backwards when it hits letang, as if he didn't even hit him at all with it, only grazed him.

This is one of those hits where the onus is all on the hittee instead of the hitter. Letang had his head down and...well, we all saw what happened.

and nystrom methodically had his arm glued to his side and barely even hit letang in the head.