• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

just an utter disgrace of a call, he avoided as much head contact as possible and it even looks like is bicep goes backwards when it hits letang, as if he didn't even hit him at all with it, only grazed him.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#42 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

That's how I remember it too.

There were the stars that if you took a run at, you'd likely be answering to someone like Probie or Semenko.

But now it's like every good hard hit results in teammates mugging the guy who threw the hit. I looked back at some old hockey vids on youtube, and there were a lot of huge hits--some of them even looked dirty--and the play kept going. Obviously that's a small sample, but it confirmed how I remembered it.

Big hits would make the games chippier overall. But they didn't immediately result in having to drop the gloves and fight just because you checked someone, like so often happens now.

Exactly...Then after several more minutes of "chippy" play we'd have ourselves an old fashioned donny brook - 5 on 5.

Games of yesteryear weren't as fast paced, nor the players as skilled as we see in todays game, but they certainly made up for that in the scrums/fisticuffs/all out brawls :lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#43 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

This is one of those hits where the onus is all on the hittee instead of the hitter. Letang had his head down and...well, we all saw what happened.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#44 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

This is one of those hits where the onus is all on the hittee instead of the hitter. Letang had his head down and...well, we all saw what happened.

and nystrom methodically had his arm glued to his side and barely even hit letang in the head.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#45 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Exactly the same situation as the Smith suspension. If you are going to protect them... okay, but the hitter shouldn't be blamed when you put your head out there to get hit. Just saying, Smith got the book thrown at him...
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.