• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

07/08 Wings VS 11/12 Wings

Rate this topic

Well what are the main differences b/t the Wings of 07/08 that won the Cup to this years team? For starters I'll list a few of them below:

a) Team Defense - the 07/08 squad could actually shut down the opposition with ease and use of their superior puck possession game as they gave up the fewest shots on goal per game and very little quality scoring chances. The same cannot be said about this years teams as our goalies are being hung out to dry and the PK flat out sucks.

b) Scoring - I'd say the scoring is about the same but with this years team lacking the defense that the 08 team had then we are at a huge disadvantage b/c with the porous defense you need to score alot more to win but the Wings still don't get the clutch goals when they need them. Also back in 08 the Wings could be counted on when they needed the big goals as they still only had 2 big guns up front with Dats & Zett but they got more secondary scoring when need be.

c) Goaltending - I'd say this is the only area that's better but its not showing up in the stats sheet b/c they give up more goals and its attributed to horrible team defense. So Jimmy is better than Hasek & OsGood but he is only as good as the skaters around him and thus his fine heroics have been wasted at times.

d) Powerplay - the powerplay was fairly consistent back in 08 with a few dry spells but nothing compared to today's unit that flat out sucks. Also the SH goals given up are also inexcuseable.

e) Penalty Kill - another unit that has had a huge downfall from 08 and thus one of the main reasons for the spike in goals allowed.

f) Secondary/Role Players - Well the 08 had some decent gritty players like Dallas Drake, Draper when healthy, Helm's arrival, and also players like Hudler & Fill were just entering the league. Today's team has some better support players according to the numbers but what they don't do is make plays when it matters most e.g. clear the puck of their own zone when leading by a goal in the final minute, or score the clutch goal that will ice the game or break a tie.

So with all this factors I would say that this team will not match what the 08 team did in the playoffs which is win the Cup as in 08 they only had to deal with San Jose as the other powerhouse in the West and fortunately they got upset, but this year Vancouver is the main competition but teams like the Blues, Preds & Hawks can all eliminate the Wings.

The thing I've not seen from the Wings since '08 was their ability to lock it down once they got a lead. They seemed able to control games and close them out much more easily than they have any season since then.

In general they just played like a team on a mission almost every night.

Guest The Production Line

The thing I've not seen from the Wings since '08 was their ability to lock it down once they got a lead. They seemed able to control games and close them out much more easily than they have any season since then.

No doubt in large part to the disappointment that was the 2007 playoff run. The only team capable of stopping the Wings from winning the Cup in 2008 would have been the Red Wings themselves.

That's exactly what I was getting at b/c I remember in 08 the Wings would win a game 2-1 but it really wouldn't be that close as the score indicates b/c the Wings would stiffle the opponents to death with their puck possession game. Back then when winning by a goal the the other team rarely got a chance to tie it with the net empty but this years team will choke away leads in the dying minutes by the dozen.

Also I just double checked and in 08 the Wings did give up the fewest goals in the league and have not done so since and its the main reasons why we haven't seen any Cup banners hung since.

The Wings have the 2nd best goal differential in the league at +51.

This is despite that according to random LGW poster LeonardSankar, they have terrible PP, terrible PK, bad defense and a lack of secondary and clutch scoring.

Imo, this is the best the Red Wings have played since the 07/08 season. Yes, even better than in 08/09, when they had a stacked team and got away with a lot of bad habits because of it.

Other teams have learned how our "puck possesion" system works and how to shut us down. Many of those teams have adopted that style of play themselves. We are also very reluctant to play chip and chase when they stand 5 players at the blueline and stand us up as we try, endlessly, to skate it in. Especially our first two lines. You would think that a line with Bert, Franzen, and Datsyuk, would be able to cycle the puck all day long along the boards. That is not the case.

Also, we don't have Downey and Lilja out on the ice.

Other teams have learned how our "puck possesion" system works and how to shut us down. Many of those teams have adopted that style of play themselves. We are also very reluctant to play chip and chase when they stand 5 players at the blueline and stand us up as we try, endlessly, to skate it in. Especially our first two lines. You would think that a line with Bert, Franzen, and Datsyuk, would be able to cycle the puck all day long along the boards. That is not the case.

Also, we don't have Downey and Lilja out on the ice.

Yeah, they really figured us out. So much so that we're 3rd in the league and have a chance to win the President's Trophy and will be one of the favorites going into the playoffs. Damn it sucks that everyone knows how to shut us down.

I haven't seen the hunger from this team the last several playoffs. The hunger was there in 2007 and 2008.

I said before the season that we won't win the Cup with this roster, and I'm sticking with that since Holland didn't do anything at the deadline.

I haven't seen the hunger from this team the last several playoffs. The hunger was there in 2007 and 2008.

I said before the season that we won't win the Cup with this roster, and I'm sticking with that since Holland didn't do anything at the deadline.

I agree they have to make use of this summers cap room to make a serious push for the Cup in 2013 b/c there is not a chance they win it this year. They must treat this offseason like the summer of 2001 when they went for it all and won in the following season.

He acquired Quincey at the deadline. Cup winning move? Not sure. But in 07/08 we added Stuart and that worked out well.

I think the team looked plenty hungry last playoffs. Especially Datsyuk. Don't forget our loss against SJ was the closest playoff series of ALL TIME. And I'm willing to bet we would have given Vancouver a run for their money.

Sometimes going onto this board is liking visiting the Twilight Zone. How can there be so much doom and gloom about a team that beat the all-time home winning streak and is 3rd in the league in points? If we get through these injuries to Lids and Pav with a decent record we're gonna have a shot at 1st in the league down the stretch and will be in a great position for the playoffs. Decent matchups, preferably not Phoenix and SJ again, and there is no reason whatsoever to think we can't make a run for the cup.

The title of this thread sucked me in. I was excited for some stimulating discussion.

I agree they have to make use of this summers cap room to make a serious push for the Cup in 2013 b/c there is not a chance they win it this year. They must treat this offseason like the summer of 2001 when they went for it all and won in the following season.

I should have noted who the OP was.

So now I'm off.

Well what are the main differences b/t the Wings of 07/08 that won the Cup to this years team? For starters I'll list a few of them below:

a) Team Defense - the 07/08 squad could actually shut down the opposition with ease and use of their superior puck possession game as they gave up the fewest shots on goal per game and very little quality scoring chances. The same cannot be said about this years teams as our goalies are being hung out to dry and the PK flat out sucks.

b) Scoring - I'd say the scoring is about the same but with this years team lacking the defense that the 08 team had then we are at a huge disadvantage b/c with the porous defense you need to score alot more to win but the Wings still don't get the clutch goals when they need them. Also back in 08 the Wings could be counted on when they needed the big goals as they still only had 2 big guns up front with Dats & Zett but they got more secondary scoring when need be.

c) Goaltending - I'd say this is the only area that's better but its not showing up in the stats sheet b/c they give up more goals and its attributed to horrible team defense. So Jimmy is better than Hasek & OsGood but he is only as good as the skaters around him and thus his fine heroics have been wasted at times.

d) Powerplay - the powerplay was fairly consistent back in 08 with a few dry spells but nothing compared to today's unit that flat out sucks. Also the SH goals given up are also inexcuseable.

e) Penalty Kill - another unit that has had a huge downfall from 08 and thus one of the main reasons for the spike in goals allowed.

f) Secondary/Role Players - Well the 08 had some decent gritty players like Dallas Drake, Draper when healthy, Helm's arrival, and also players like Hudler & Fill were just entering the league. Today's team has some better support players according to the numbers but what they don't do is make plays when it matters most e.g. clear the puck of their own zone when leading by a goal in the final minute, or score the clutch goal that will ice the game or break a tie.

So with all this factors I would say that this team will not match what the 08 team did in the playoffs which is win the Cup as in 08 they only had to deal with San Jose as the other powerhouse in the West and fortunately they got upset, but this year Vancouver is the main competition but teams like the Blues, Preds & Hawks can all eliminate the Wings.

I am sorry but there is a great deal of puck luck, peaking at the right time and mojo that is unable to measure but factors into EVERY Stanley Cup playoff run. Nobody...and I really mean nobody put on a show in 08 like Franzen. The dude was lights out. OT- No problem...Franzen had the answer. Down by one...give it to 93 and in the net. he broke records belonging to Gordie Howe...one of the greatest to play. Its impossible to measure the things that happened in 08 to what is or may happen this year.

We certianly didnt win the Cup in 08 because of Franzen but he was a HUGE part of it. He was clutch, 24-7. Everything came together and I felt that we were unbeatable. I think we are peaking at the right time. We need a healthy Dats but the good news...our boys are better in the playoffs than in the reg. season...and that includes Franzen

Guest Crymson

The Wings have the 2nd best goal differential in the league at +51.

This is despite that according to random LGW poster LeonardSankar, they have terrible PP, terrible PK, bad defense and a lack of secondary and clutch scoring.

Well said, though at this stage I'm 99% sure that the OP makes threads like this one just to get a rise out of people. He's probably a fan of another team.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

I like how to some people, Holland didn't do anything at the deadline because Quincey was traded for several days before the deadline.

Anyway, GMR, what will you do if they DO win the Cup?

Certainly no shame to not be as good as the 2008 squad -- that team was incredible. We are a lucky bunch of fans to have seen a team that good in the same lifetime as another team that was arguably even better (2002). Very few fan bases can boast having so many amazing teams in such a short span of time.

The main difference between this year's team and that year's, I would say, is that back then Hank had more get up and go. And they were a PKing machine in those days. More glaring weaknesses on this 2012 team for sure, but being head-and-shoulders above the rest of the competition isn't the only way to win the Cup (although it may be the way some are most used to).

I am sorry but there is a great deal of puck luck, peaking at the right time and mojo that is unable to measure but factors into EVERY Stanley Cup playoff run. Nobody...and I really mean nobody put on a show in 08 like Franzen. The dude was lights out. OT- No problem...Franzen had the answer. Down by one...give it to 93 and in the net. he broke records belonging to Gordie Howe...one of the greatest to play. Its impossible to measure the things that happened in 08 to what is or may happen this year.

We certianly didnt win the Cup in 08 because of Franzen but he was a HUGE part of it. He was clutch, 24-7. Everything came together and I felt that we were unbeatable. I think we are peaking at the right time. We need a healthy Dats but the good news...our boys are better in the playoffs than in the reg. season...and that includes Franzen

You also have to remember Franzen missed 6 games in that post-season and the Wings still went 4-2 in that span. That team could shut down the opposition on a consistent basis but this team has yet to show that and until they do so I will be strongly critical.

Guest Crymson

Be really happy.

Ah, so it's the usual fare: defensive pessimism. If the Wings lose, you've protected yourself from most of the disappointment by predicting failure all along. If they win, you get to be happy. That's cute.

Ah, so it's the usual fare: defensive pessimism. If the Wings lose, you've protected yourself from most of the disappointment by predicting failure all along. If they win, you get to be happy. That's cute.

:rolleyes:

Posts like these are why so many people here don't like you.

I'd like to know what Leonard thinks of the Blues and Canucks. Probably elite teams that have little if no weaknesses which are overcome by their colossal strengths

Well I fear the Canucks more than the Blues in the playoffs b/c they can score but the Blues can be dangerous with the way they play defense. I would definitely take the Canucks over the Wings in a best of 7 series but take the Wings over Blues in a series if healthy.

Guest Crymson

:rolleyes:

Posts like these are why so many people here don't like you.

Excellent use of evasion. Perhaps you'd like to address the statement itself?