• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Who are the biggest threats in playoffs?

Rate this topic

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well add the Hawks to the list after today's loss and injury to Howard. Just a complete lost weekend for as Duke loses to UNC, Heat loses to Lakers and Wings lose to Hawks.

Wait, you're a fan of Duke, and the Red Wings, and the Lakers before they traded Shaq? Where are you from again?

Edited by kipwinger

Wait, you're a fan of Duke, and the Red Wings, and the Lakers before they traded Shaq? Where are you from again?

I am from Ontario, Canada a city called Brantford e.g Gretzky.

I didn't really like the Lakers I just always rooted for Shaq as I am a fan of the Pistons & Raptors for basketball but I also root for James & Wade.

Also btw I am a fan of Notre Dame, San Francisco 49ers, Blue Jays in case you were wondering.

If we were to face the Sharks in the first round, I would feel pretty confident about taking them down. In the second round, though, I start to get nervous. Any team in the playoffs will be a threat - Sharks scare me, as do the Blues (just because of how well they have been playing lately). I think our scoring has been alright, but I would like to see us playing a little better on defense (not that it has been bad, I just want to see Howard get a bit more backup).

As much as I would absolutely love to see a Wings/Penguins rematch for the cup, I don't think it will happen this year. With Crosby out, I really don't think the Pens have the guns needed to go very far into the Playoffs.

I am from Ontario, Canada a city called Brantford e.g Gretzky.

I didn't really like the Lakers I just always rooted for Shaq as I am a fan of the Pistons & Raptors for basketball but I also root for James & Wade.

Also btw I am a fan of Notre Dame, San Francisco 49ers, Blue Jays in case you were wondering.

hmmm...that's a lot to keep straight. Thank god I root for Detroit in everything...and Michigan State. Keeps it simpler that way.

Franzen for the biggest playoff factor on the Wings. I think he has turned into the new Kozlov. And hey, he has to show up sometime...right?

Since the lockout, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom all have better numbers than Franzen in the playoffs. So no, he isn't the Wings "biggest playoff factor" and no there's no guarantee he'll show up anywhere. God knows it will be nice if he does, but no guarantee.

hmmm...that's a lot to keep straight. Thank god I root for Detroit in everything...and Michigan State. Keeps it simpler that way.

I only root for Detroit for NHL & NBA as I grew fans of other teams in the other sports leagues. Since I live close to Toronto I'll root for the Blue Jays & Raptors but not the Leafs b/c they are the worst fans in the history of all of sports and my hatred for the Leafs is one of the main reasons why I became a Wings fan back in the old Norris division days of the 80's.

Aside from the Wings I also rooted for the Oilers, Kings, Blues & Rangers e.g. Wayne Gretzky and I was one of the people who wanted the Wings to sign Gretzky in the summer of 1996 as it would have been great for him to be apart of the 97 & 98 Cup teams but he choose the Rangers.

I only root for Detroit for NHL & NBA as I grew fans of other teams in the other sports leagues. Since I live close to Toronto I'll root for the Blue Jays & Raptors but not the Leafs b/c they are the worst fans in the history of all of sports and my hatred for the Leafs is one of the main reasons why I became a Wings fan back in the old Norris division days of the 80's.

Aside from the Wings I also rooted for the Oilers, Kings, Blues & Rangers e.g. Wayne Gretzky and I was one of the people who wanted the Wings to sign Gretzky in the summer of 1996 as it would have been great for him to be apart of the 97 & 98 Cup teams but he choose the Rangers.

haha it might be simpler to just keep track of the teams/players you don't like.

haha it might be simpler to just keep track of the teams/players you don't like.

Actually they are way too many teams to keep track of that I hate b/c my list is very long consisting of teams & players and I'll list a few with the reason being in brackets:

Teams:

Toronto Maple Leafs (hate their fans)

Dallas Cowboys (Niners rival)

Green Bay Packers (Beat Niners repeatedly)

Buffalo Bills (Just like Leaf fans)

New York Yankees (Jays rival in AL East)

Pittsburgh Penguins (Lemieux & Crybaby Hater & 2009)

New York Jets (Favre played for them in 2008)

New York Giants (Beat Patriots twice in SB's)

Baltimore Ravens (Bunch of Blow Hards)

Dallas Mavericks (Can't stand Cuban & Dirk)

North Carolina Tar Heels (Duke fan)

Vancouver Canucks (Wings main competition)

I actually picked Vancouver as our toughest opponent because they play a similiar style of game to us. They aren't overly physical...more of a puck possession team and they can be sooo dangerous. Since Burrows pulled that bullshard on us in the SO win 2 weeks ago, I want to ram a goalie pad down his thoat....BUT, that is nothing for the pure disgust I feel for San Jose.

I can't stand Thornton...I used to respect him, him being a local boy but somewhere along the way he became a whiney, embellishing, disgraceful weasel man. I hate how he blows kisses to the fans after a goal (Really JOE...You arent at a Stanley Cup parade) and how he will flap his arms up in the air if he is called for a pentaly ( like he cant BELIEVE the injustice that has just happened to him) The entire team is a classless bunch- they are diver's and they love to cheap shots at us.

I want to meet them in the SCF. I want us to run them over. I want Smith and Krons to step up. I want them to punish Thornton and his merry class of clowns....and that manchild Niemi.

I want the Sharks and I want tehm to suffer!!! :ph34r: (last sentence was in a very slow and menacing voice! lol)

I actually picked Vancouver as our toughest opponent because they play a similiar style of game to us. They aren't overly physical...more of a puck possession team and they can be sooo dangerous. Since Burrows pulled that bullshard on us in the SO win 2 weeks ago, I want to ram a goalie pad down his thoat....BUT, that is nothing for the pure disgust I feel for San Jose.

I can't stand Thornton...I used to respect him, him being a local boy but somewhere along the way he became a whiney, embellishing, disgraceful weasel man. I hate how he blows kisses to the fans after a goal (Really JOE...You arent at a Stanley Cup parade) and how he will flap his arms up in the air if he is called for a pentaly ( like he cant BELIEVE the injustice that has just happened to him) The entire team is a classless bunch- they are diver's and they love to cheap shots at us.

I want to meet them in the SCF. I want us to run them over. I want Smith and Krons to step up. I want them to punish Thornton and his merry class of clowns....and that manchild Niemi.

I want the Sharks and I want tehm to suffer!!! :ph34r: (last sentence was in a very slow and menacing voice! lol)

Mark my words, the Wings can NEVER, and will NEVER beat the Sharks in the SCF...ever!

All are huge threats in their own way, especially on the road...

...definitely the PP/PK...

...Helm will have a great playoff. Franzen....BETTER show up!

Agreed. everyone keeps calling him a playoff beast...he had a 5 goal game against the Avs the one year and was pretty average aside from that. Consistency is a beast that Mule needs to tame...

I'd personally like to see the Wings keep Nyquist up and have 3 scoring pairs and a grinder to get the puck on each fwd line.

Here's why I think the Wings have a great chance to win the Cup and it has nothing to do with matchups. Doesn't matter who you play, you have to beat them regardless. I think the Wings can win because it's time. If not this year, then next year for sure. After they won the Cup in 98, the next three seasons, they were bounced in either the first or second rds. Then, they won it in 02. Another flurry of early exits in 03, 04, and 06. In 07, they get to the WCF's before losing to the Quacks. In 08, five seasons after the last Cup, they win it again. Lost the Cup in 09, then two years of early exits. Now, it's four years after the last one, so they're due.

I'm getting the idea that the Wings organization knows it's much to difficult to win it every year. So, they spend a few years recharging the team, staying competitive, figuring that if they advance to the next rounds, fine, but if not, no worry we'll get there. The Wings have been known to be very patient both on the ice and off. They don't panic. And I've noticed this year as opposed to the last two, they're playing with much more purpose and energy. They are hungry again and they want one more Cup for Nick before he goes. Sure, they're having some PP problems and "injury" problems, but don't be surprised to see them healthy and ready to go in April.

Blues because they are unexpected. Special teams for obvious reasons. Grinders because we have never won a cup without great contributions from our 4th and possibly 3rd lines.

Edited by zettie85

Why, because they won tonight when Datsyuk and Lidstrom were out?

Preds are not a team we should worry about in the playoffs.

Word. Nashville won because of a confused PK and an impotent offense, which still managed nearly 40 shots on goal. Add one of either Datsyuk, Lidstrom OR subtract one of either Hudler, Franzen, and this team is plenty <_<

Rinne is formidable, and the Wings have been beat by hot goaltenders before, but Nashville is far from the most potent threat.

Agreed. everyone keeps calling him a playoff beast...he had a 5 goal game against the Avs the one year and was pretty average aside from that. Consistency is a beast that Mule needs to tame...

I'd personally like to see the Wings keep Nyquist up and have 3 scoring pairs and a grinder to get the puck on each fwd line.

Clearly your memory of spring 2008 is foggy at best.

I'm feelin pretty justified in my Preds choice in the poll tonight.

They've only ever managed to win one round in the playoffs, and that was last year, when they beat a mediocre Ducks team. I don't think they line up any better against playoff contenders this year. Series play is very different from regular season play, and unless a team has a lot of looks and an ability to adapt they just don't do well. Unfortunately, these shoestring teams that get by on a defensive style because they can't dependably mount creative offense usually can't adapt to the quick adjustments that define the playoffs. They've gotten where they are by doing one thing well. The same is true for the Yotes - they'll win in the regular season, by playing the same low-risk style game after game, but they'll lose in the playoffs because that's all they've got.

The Wings on the other hand are extremely flexible in how they play, and stand a lot better chance. It's not just that they're well coached, it's that the players are smart enough to be able to play more than one strategy. A genius behind the bench is meaningless if the players can't follow. The same is true of the Pens, the Nucks, and sometimes the Sharks (assuming they make it in this year) - all of them are good at analyzing their opponent and adjusting.

Wow, San Jose is free falling, in 9th place and will lose to Phoenix tonight.

If they don't make playoffs, i feel way more comfortable with a possible 4th place position. They just have to worry about st Louis or Vancouver in the later rounds