• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Who are the biggest threats in playoffs?

Rate this topic

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're gearing up for the playoffs for the 2012 season and I just want to get everyone's thoughts on what needs to be done for Detroit to win the cup this year.

My Predictions:

1st Round: DET 4 - KINGS 1

2nd Round: DET 4 - BLUES 2

Conf Final: DET 4 - SJ 3

SCF: DET 4 - PIT 2

I believe we will see Detroit and Pittsburgh in a SCF rematch from 2008/2009. I do not think Vancouver is going to get past Chicago or St. Louis this year as they just got off a long run last year and they lost some of their defense. I also think Nashville could compete against Vancouver this year but I do not see them coming out of the West. The reason San Jose gets to the conference final is St. Louis / Vancouver / Nashville / Blackhawks will be worn down from long series. I also believe that the San Jose series this year will be either a short one or a long one. We will either sweep them or it will be a grinder.

I know this is a bit early but I'm getting excited about this years team, I really like the move to get Quincey. I also like the idea of putting smith into the lineup a few times in the playoffs. I feel like Zetterberg is starting to finally break out of his slump. I feel like this is a special year for the team and I believe they will win the cup.

Post your thoughts / comments!

Edited by Pat

Hopefully we won't have to face the Sharks. They have some sort of voodoo thing against us.

Mule will make his appearance as usual, earning his salary in the playoffs.

We need scoring. We do need the PP to improve, but to me, if we increase our all-around scoring, the PP will come along.

I picked Pittsburgh and Vancouver to play in the Finals. At this point, Pittsburgh is unlikely to get there, because it looks more and more that Crosby won't be back, let alone back permanently.

Vancover will likely come out of the West, but I still voted San Hosay as our biggest threat. We actually match up better with Vancouver if we had to play them in the Conference Finals.

Guest irishock

Hope SJ and CHI draw eachother in the first round. Then we eliminate the Hawks and Canucks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and probably face Pittsburgh in the third meeting.

If this team is going to win any series, they must:

1. Find some type of powerplay. Actually score, and not give up an embarrassing SHG. Ridiculous.

2. Howard will have to play out of his mind, and if he doesn't, Mac has to come in for relief.

3. Franzen has to stop being a sissy boy, use his big frame, and SCORE ******* GOALS!!!

4. Datsyuk has to dangle, dangle.

5. Cleary has to find that gear, like he has shown is past playoff series.

6. The Helm, Abdelkader, Miller line has to keep doing, what they have been doing! Side note, Miller needs to toughen up. Bugs me, he's 'soft'.

I don't care who Detroit plays. In 2006, I begged for this team to play the Edmonton Oilers. And we all know that story. For me, that seasons early exit has been the most disappointing in recent memory.

In the West the main competition is Vancouver and then San Jose b/c of their hex on them and then the Blues, Hawks and Preds all pose a threat.

But in the East the main threat is Pittsburgh with or without Crybaby as the Penguins are the leagues favourite team e.g Gary Buttman! I would take the Bruins or Rangers in a heartbeat over the Penguins as they have too much scoring even minus Crybaby for the Wings to handle.

Hopefully we won't have to face the Sharks. They have some sort of voodoo thing against us.

Its called being just as talented, but bigger and stronger. And diving all over the ice and drawing PPs. And Detroit thinking the series starts with Game 3.

San Jose in the West, Pittsburgh in the East. Canucks, Blues, and Preds will be challenging, but the San Jose Voodoo Hex is more cause for concern than anything else.

We NEEEEED to improve the PP. Fewer breakaway-causing turnovers would be nice, too, but since a lot of those come on the PP, fixing the PP will fix some of that, too.

Hopefully Howard will be a baws in the playoffs, and Franzen will probably wake up. I predict that Dats will come back nice and rested and ready to kick butt and take names, too. I hope Fil keeps the pedal to the metal.

Like many others here, I feel that San Jose is our biggest threat, given our recent playoff history. Until we knock them off, they have that edge against us. As much as I would like to avoid them if possible, it is much more satisfying to win the Cup by beating the toughest competition possible.

While I agree that our power play is the biggest concern going into the playoffs, when you look at the numbers we actually match up pretty well with the other top teams in the west (I ranked Western Conference teams only):

1 - VAN Overall PP%: 21.4% (49/229), 3rd Home PP%: 20.2% (19/94), 4th Road PP%: 22.2% (30/135), 2nd

2 - DET Overall PP%: 17.1% (42/245), 7th Home PP%: 19.4% (25/129), 5th Road PP%: 14.7% (17/116), 11th

3 - PHX Overall PP%: 13.3% (26/196), 15th Home PP%: 13.0% (14/108), 15th Road PP%: 13.6% (12/88), 13th

4 - STL Overall PP%: 15.6% (33/212), 12th Home PP%: 18.8% (23/122), 6th Road PP%: 11.1% (10/90), 15th

5 - NSH Overall PP%: 21.5% (44/205), 2nd Home PP%: 22.4% (24/107), 3rd Road PP%: 20.4% (20/98), 4th

6 - CHI Overall PP%: 16.1% (35/218), 10th Home PP%: 15.2% (18/118), 11th Road PP%: 17.0% (17/100), 8th

7 - SJS Overall PP%: 21.0% (44/209), 4th Home PP%: 23.2% (24/104), 7th Road PP%: 19.0% (20/105), 6th

8 - DAL Overall PP%: 14.4% (28/195), 14th Home PP%: 14.8% (15/101), 12th Road PP%: 13.8% (13/94), 12th

9 - LAK Overall PP%: 15.7% (36/229), 11th Home PP%: 15.3% (19/124), 10th Road PP%: 16.2% (17/105), 9th

10 - COL Overall PP%: 18.5% (34/184), 5th Home PP%: 13.3% (12/90), 13th Road PP%: 23.4% (22/94), 1st

11 - CGY Overall PP%: 17.5% (36/206), 6th Home PP%: 13.3% (14/105), 14th Road PP%: 21.8% (22/101), 3rd

12 - ANA Overall PP%: 16.7% (37/222), 9th Home PP%: 15.8% (19/120), 9th Road PP%: 17.6% (18/102), 7th

13 - MIN Overall PP%: 15.2% (32/120), 13th Home PP%: 18.2% (16/88), 8th Road PP%: 13.1% (16/122), 14th

14 - EDM Overall PP%: 21.7% (48/221), 1st Home PP%: 23.7% (27/114), 1st Road PP%: 19.6% (21/107), 5th

15 - CBJ Overall PP%: 17.0% (41/241), 8th Home PP%: 18.4% (23/125), 7th Road PP%: 15.5% (18/116), 10th

We have the most power play opportunities of any team in the west, we should be leading in power play goals as well, it's as simple as that in my mind.

Finally, I think that Franzen will lead the team in scoring, as frustrating as he can be at times he truly is a different player in the playoffs, but I think that Howard must have a Conn Smythe worthy performance if we are going to have a chance to win.

I picked PP/PK since they're both mediocre right now. Capitalizing on the PP in the playoffs will obviously be huge as goals get harder to come by.

And I picked Mule for the big playoffs. That's more hope than anything else, because I'm assuming Dats and Z will be good. If Franzen has a big playoffs then the Wings are a scary good team to play against.

Guest irishock

Our goaltending and defense is superb, but got to be better on special teams. We can win the cup if Franzen, Z and Fil show up big time, if not then Datsyuk will have to carry the entire team on his shoulders to as far as he can get.

In order to win the Stanley Cup, your team has to be healthy, consistently good, and have some puck luck. In the new NHL, with the parity we have today, its easy to say that the special teams must improve or a team must pick it up defensively. I have always been a big believer in health, consistency, and a little luck. The Wings have the consistency down, which is why they are near the top of the NHL right now. Their health has to improve. Lids and Dats has to return and be 100% for the playoffs.

Everything else falls into place with those starting points.

I don't think San Jose is as good as last year and I think the Red Wings are a much better team than the one that lost to the Sharks last May. That being said, I wouldn't want to see them again in the playoffs. Some teams just matchup better with others. IMO if the Red Wings have to go through both San Jose and Vancouver in the West, their chances to advance to the final drop greatly. I have a lot of respect for what both the Blues and Predators have done this season, but I think the Wings would beat either in a series (though it wouldn't be easy). Vancouver is the biggest threat overall. The Canucks are very deep and the Sedin's always give Detroit fits.

Special teams are the biggest concern for me down the stretch. The powerplay worries me more than the penalty kill. Too much talent to not be over 20% and frustrating how inept it has looked for stretches.

I voted for Z to have a huge playoff just because he's Henrik Zetterberg and that's what he does.